Android Type - C to 3.5mm Connector Query

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello Folks,

Recently I bought a Honor Pad X9 tablet primarily for watching shows and movies. The tablet does NOT come with a 3.5mm Headphone jack and since I use wired headphones my only other option was to get a Type-C to 3.5mm audio converter cable. So I went ahead and ordered this:

Portronics iKonnect C Pro Type C to 3.5 mm Audio Jack Connector with DAC

Now, this is cheap little cable but it does work like it should. The volume loudness however when I connect this is a tad low even when I increase the volume level on the tablet itself. I wanted to know is there any other better Type-C to 3.5mm available online which I could get that addresses this low sounding volume issue?

I came across this:

Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter

How is this one and will it work with an Android tablet?

Looks like this is an Android bug in general and applies to all usb-c dacs.

I like to use Apple's usb-c adapter on my desktop because the integrated DAC in it is excellent for the price. It's definitely going to be leagues better than the Portronics one. But this is on Windows/Linux.

The apple adapter-dac is great. I used it on my Samsung Tab and Ipad Air and everywhere it functioned well.
Do checkout other similar offerings as well, like Audiocular – d10,d07 etc.

With the Apple one, you will get a lower volume because of the Android bug listed above which Google hasn't bothered to fix for years.

In my case, I use a Type-C earphone for my tablet which also works with laptops. Samsung and JBL ones costs less than 1.5k.

Using the adapter with more expensive headphones is not worth it as the tiny DAC is worse than using a headphone's DAC over Bluetooth.

Thanks! However, the linked product is 4.4mm so won't do in my case.

I will keep an eye out for the Abigail Pro to see if it comes back in stock.
Looks like VE have discontinued these, and are generally out of stock everywhere. A good replacement is https://www.theaudiostore.in/produc...-portable-dac-amp?_pos=3&_sid=759db802b&_ss=r , has the same DAC chip but also an integrated amp (Analog devices name brand MAX97220, same config as the headphone zone branded ddhifi dongle, at half the price). This has 2x the theoretical power output of the abigail dongle, and the reviews are generally positive. Ordering one myself :p

Headphonezone states Abigail Pro will be restocked by aug end. I use the older abigail and it works fine. Theaudiostore and conceptkart have other options in the same price range if you want something now. RE apple's dac, isnt it too fragile even if it works great? At least that's what I've heard.

Just get the apple dac. Its worth it.
I have the apple dac (multiples of them, both the US A2049 and EU/IN A2155 variants). They're really not that great in terms of power (unless you're using high sensitivity IEMs), even if you run them on a desktop platform/android with UAPP custom driver that unlocks full range. They're also fine if you're just using them as a DAC with a dedicated amp in the chain. But for driving larger/less sensitive/planar headphones, they're not that great.

I have the apple dac (multiples of them, both the US A2049 and EU/IN A2155 variants). They're really not that great in terms of power (unless you're using high sensitivity IEMs), even if you run them on a desktop platform/android with UAPP custom driver that unlocks full range. They're also fine if you're just using them as a DAC with a dedicated amp in the chain. But for driving larger/less sensitive/planar headphones, they're not that great.
OP didn’t mention what they want to use it with. The one that they have purchased is subpar as compared to apple one.

OP didn’t mention what they want to use it with.
True, but at the prices we're talking about, it simply does not make sense to buy the apple dongle (that too the inferior A2155 variant) when you can pay 250Rs more to get one with vastly more output power and quality in the same ballpark. Factor in the cost of UAPP (paid android app) that you need to unlock the full capability of the dongle, and the apple dongle is simply obsolete, except for some fringe cases. The apple dongle also has a dinky little cable, which probably won't last. Added photo of the apple and the VE abigail side by side.
Audiocular D07
Yep, recommended the same above, and ordered one to play with.

Attachments

• PXL_20230218_202316534.jpg
    PXL_20230218_202316534.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
True, but at the prices we're talking about, it simply does not make sense to buy the apple dongle (that too the inferior A2155 variant) when you can pay 250Rs more to get one with vastly more output power and quality in the same ballpark. Factor in the cost of UAPP (paid android app) that you need to unlock the full capability of the dongle, and the apple dongle is simply obsolete, except for some fringe cases. The apple dongle also has a dinky little cable, which probably won't last. Added photo of the apple and the VE abigail side by side.

Yep, recommended the same above, and ordered one to play with.
He just wants to watch movies. Wont notice any difference. That portronics one is horrible. Abigail out of stock.

@ze_cook : Mate, I also found this on Amazon while searching last evening:

AUDIOCULAR CS-Pro CS46L41 Headphone Audio DAC & Amp Adapter

How is the above adapter? One reviewer states that it did not work with his Redmi Note 8 pro though.

I will be using the adapter with a Sennheiser HD599 and for watching shows and movies. No music.
Cheaper (1090) on their direct store https://conceptkart.com/products/audiocular-d08-cs-pro-cs46l41-typec-to-3-5mm-dac-dongle . Power output around the same ballpark of the D07, though I haven't actually used this specific DAC chip so can't comment on the quality, but online reviews look promising.

Your phone should be able to support USB OTG and USB audio (UAC), most newer midrange+ phones do.

I've been lucky enough to test a lot of DACs, and while I couldn't listen to all the differences, the Apple DAC was the one that gave the loudest volume and sounded really nice.
On Android, I use Poweramp and HiByMusic to bypass the Android's bug/limitations, and it works great.

One thing to note is that Venture DACs had noise when I was charging the laptop and using the earphones. The internal 3.5mm jack did not have noise, and neither did any of the other DACs. Maybe my model was faulty, but just putting it up here for anyone considering it. Give it a try somewhere.

Check Croma occasionally, I got Apple DAC for ₹400 and it is such a no-brainer deal at that price point.

Back