Linux Ubuntu Boot Freeze on connecting NViDIA GeForce 7300GT

[offtopic]Hey people! I'd like to start off by saying I am a Windows Power User (ha ha.. yes I can see all the jokes myself :p) and have recently installed Ubuntu full time on an old machine I got. This is not my first experience with Linux and I'm not afraid of the Terminal. My past experiences with Linux distros has been limited to a couple of hours and now that I have a machine to work with Linux on, I've decided to move to Ubuntu and leave my Windows machine for my other (rather technically challenged family members).
So my request is that when you give info, if possible, could you make it detailed? Thanks a lot.
And yes, I did google first.[/offtopic]

Intro:
I recently got an old P4 3.06GHz processor running on a motherboard with an Intel 965 chipset and 512MB DDR ram. It also came with an old AGP graphics card (Zebronics' NViDIA GeForce 7300GT) which should be fine for the job since I'm not planning to game on that machine.

I installed to xubuntu 9.04 (xfce being lighter sounded like a good option for this machine) without the graphics card and installed whatever packages I needed. A week in, I decided to go to gnome because I didn't fancy xfce anymore. Out goes xfce and in comes gnome. We have ubuntu.

The Problem:
I noticed that the display lagged a bit and system monitor showed I was using around 60-80% of my RAM. I then realized I could put the graphics card back in. I do so and the machine freezes during boot at 20% or so on the Ubuntu load screen. I remove it and switch back to the motherboard chipset and its all fine.

Sounds like a driver issue. Heard of linux having issues with NViDIA's propriety drivers for years. Now on my other machine, I've used Ubuntu 8.04 with a 7600GS perfectly fine (restricted drivers but fine none the less).

I thought may be an OS reinstall would help. Not really.. even the boot CD froze at the exact same screen.

People (and the internet) told me to check what drivers I'm using.. well I have no idea because I can't find anything in my xorg.conf file.

Should I install NViDIA drivers and if yes, which ones? Is there no compatibility for this particular card?

Once again, I'd like to say that I'm a bit of a linux newbie so please try to provide detailed instructions and commands. Thanks a lot.

Can you lookup how to select the vesa xorg driver in your xorg.conf...

But since you say the problem happens during "20% of the boot screen" this is way before X loads...

When you place the video card in the mobo do you also not need to change some BIOS setting like "Init display first = PCI" and not "Init display first = Onboard" ?

Try googling for your motherboard model number along with ubuntu linux keywords...

Back