iOS Unable to use Apple ID funds for 3P/IAP recurring subscriptions

nullpc

Disciple
Not sure if this is just me but whenever I try to purchase a recurring sub from via IAP/app store, a prompt appears, then I’m asked to verify and then led to UPI mandate option even though my Apple ID funds are plenty to cover the subscription amount. Even if I go back at this point and try to select Apple funds, I don’t get any option to use the funds to make the purchase.

My existing Apple subs seem to still be pulling from the original funds so it’s not entirely useless fortunately.

EDIT: Updated the title to clarify this is just happening for 3P/IAP

Last edited:
Recurring doesn't work even for me
I just add Gift card quarterly
That works for me too but the problem is I can't use this balance for recurring monthly subs to any apps I want to buy (or at least, that's how it seems like for the last few attempts).
+1. Buy a sizeable Apple Store code when bank discounts are going on.
I buy via Amazon Pay vouchers and those get discounts via certain cards. That part is fine enough.

That works for me too but the problem is I can't use this balance for recurring monthly subs to any apps I want to buy (or at least, that's how it seems like for the last few attempts).

I buy via Amazon Pay vouchers and those get discounts via certain cards. That part is fine enough.
I have Apple music recurring Sub . Auto debit every month from the balance added using gift cards

Last edited:
Problem is with every other app/IAP.
Most likely, other apps/IAP can't utilize preloaded funds on a recurring basis in India unless following RBI guidelines. Apple subs work because it started following rbi guidelines for recurring subs in India but very few merchants do that & definitely not typical apps/IAP on any app store.

Most likely, other apps/IAP can't utilize preloaded funds on a recurring basis in India unless following RBI guidelines. Apple subs work because it started following rbi guidelines for recurring subs in India but very few merchants do that & definitely not typical apps/IAP on any app store.
Would you know more about this? I don't understand how Apple can utilize the funds but other apps can't.

It's Apple being Apple, also which subs are you guys talking about? YT premium?
Any other IAP options available in 3P apps. In this instance, I was trying https://secureshellfish.app and stumbled into this issue again.

iCloud/Apple One/Music etc. doesn't seem to have such limitations.
Would you know more about this? I don't understand how Apple can utilize the funds but other apps can't.
Oh wait, I think I understand. These are not IAPs I guess.

It seems I was wrong earlier when I said Apple is approved merchant for recurring subscriptions payments in India.

So my guess is that because Apple is not in the above list it uses its "wallet balance" as funds source for recurring subscriptions but it can do this only for its own apps/services as it can take responsibility for them but it can't do the same for 3rd party apps because technically they are independent & apple can't/don't want to take legal responsibility for them.

@guest_999 that'd explain the status quo. It's really annoying that we still don't have credit card support restored and this on top makes the whole situation worse. Not sure where Apple is putting their engineering efforts into w.r.t India.

I'll hold off on hoarding credits for the time being until I use up my existing quota. I really hoped I could use the balance for everything.

It's really annoying that we still don't have credit card support restored and this on top makes the whole situation worse.
This whole "RBI rules following merchants only" for recurring international txns is absurd in the first place because it doesn't stop any international fraud online txns (fraudsters never use recurring subscription based txns anyway) & only cause inconvenience to genuine users. I am guessing Apple doesn't want to follow these RBI rules for "privacy" concerns as following them would mean it has to maintain a payment gateway server here in India with all the related data.

Back