Unboxed: Logitech Harmony 300i & my initial verdict

s_anuj

Adept
Original Source: Logitech Harmony 300i: budget universal remote control unboxed

Large screen TVs are becoming increasingly affordable and so are home theater setups. Add to that a set-top-box for TV viewing and suddenly you have a problem you never thought of before… Juggling remotes. Most people I know have anywhere between 2-5 remotes. I have four. This is where a universal remote comes into play. Stow away all your remotes as you’ll need only one. But do you want to pay the price? Read-on...

For those who have been debating the need of a universal remote, here’s a before-after scenario of what can be termed as the simplest activity we carry out while juggling remotes: Watching TV.

Before: pick up TV remote -> Switch on -> change to HDMI -> now pick up TataSky remote ->switch on -> click on favorites & start surfing

After: Pick up the harmony 300 & press watch TV

Does make sense doesn't it? Well there is one problem. The Price. The harmony lineup from Logitech (considered amongst the best remotes) are quite expensive. They start at ~Rs2400 and go up all the way to 25,000. (Source).

I’ve been using the Logitech Harmony 525 for sometime now and have been really happy with the performance. So when I spotted the Logitech 300i for about 60% off the regular price on eBay, I decided to pick it up for my dad.

Logitech Harmony 300i unboxed:

A well packed box includes the remote, a pair of Duracell batteries (AA size), a usb cable to connect to the PC when programming the remote and a user guide.

Logitech Harmony 300i box front (Click to zoom in)

Logitech Harmony 300i box back (Click to zoom in)

Logitech Harmony 300i unboxed (Click to zoom in)

Quick verdict:

Build Quality

Set-up Ease

Features

Price

For the Price (currently on ebay) it is a fantastic buy. It was extremely easy to setup and feels well built when held.

However, as it doesn't support programming macros (like it's more expensive cousins) it cannot run detailed instructions. So it gets 3/5 when it comes to features.

Hey thanks for the mini review!

I was interested in picking up a universal remote sooner or later since there are at least five remotes used to control several devices. This looks like the cheapest one from Logitech. I saw some others priced at near about 10k with the LCD which might be an overkill for me!

How well did it pick up the learning part? I mean was it hard to configure this remote to learn the commands from the STB and TV remote? Any idea if this could control the AC? If it isn't too much to ask, could you check if it can do one?
<

Hey thanks for the mini review!

I was interested in picking up a universal remote sooner or later since there are at least five remotes used to control several devices. This looks like the cheapest one from Logitech. I saw some others priced at near about 10k with the LCD which might be an overkill for me!

How well did it pick up the learning part? I mean was it hard to configure this remote to learn the commands from the STB and TV remote? Any idea if this could control the AC? If it isn't too much to ask, could you check if it can do one?
54645.gif

You can pick up the inexpensive one4all remotes also.

I am using one and its pretty decent. Has a very good learning function too.

You can pick up the inexpensive one4all remotes also.

I am using one and its pretty decent. Has a very good learning function too.

Thanks! Does it do the AC part I mentioned with regard to the macro programming?

I am assuming it doesn't have the bluetooth transmission.

#[member='Gannu']

This remote controls only 4 devices and doesn't have macros or bluetooth.

I don't have an AC (love the Bangalore weather!
cool43.gif
)... Sorry about that

This remote gonna work for old SONY Wega CRT TV remote ?

My TV remote totally dead and still could not find at shop yet.

BTW,how does it works ?

Thanks! Does it do the AC part I mentioned with regard to the macro programming?

I am assuming it doesn't have the bluetooth transmission.

Bluetooth Transmission is not possible.

With regards to controlling AC, I would like to clarify that this remote has an excellent learning function and as long as you have a working remote, you can teach it all the commands by just aligning the Logitech Remote and the AC remote in a straight line and then using the myharmony.com website.

It shall control every device which has an IR remote irrespective of what it controls.

Presently I am using it to control my 42" LG LED, LG Bluray HTS and Tata Sky + HD STB.

I can still control one more device therefore I will teach the remote my HITACHI AC functions and report the results back to you.

Update: Tried teaching the Remote Commands but its behaving erratically. It switches on and off but other settings are not working properly.

May be because my AC remote has a display and many settings are stored on the remote.

Therefore, Gannu if AC remote is a must then don't go for this one.

#[member='Revolution'] If your remote is in the Database then there is no need of Old Remote. Learning Function is only for those remotes that are not in the database.

Thanks!

Can u give me a link so I can check with remote model no and how to add that remote?

Couldn't find a link for the database. But can check on myharmony software interface if it pops up as supported. Can you let me know the exact model name/number etc?

I got SONY 21" WEGA XF21.

Don't know if its right no or not.

I couldt not find my dead remote.

I gonna find and post the remote model no.

If I could not find the reote then must have to buy a harmony soon or later.

Though it may not be cheaper solution.

Thanks!

Bad news for me.
sad.gif

Not really.. If you know the model no. then you can go to an electronics shop (one which sells electronic parts) & then buy a cheap duplicate remote for your particular model. They might even have a brouchure for all the available models. Use this to train your Harmony when you get it...

I've a PHILIPS 25" almost 10 years old. Remote was dead so got one exact similer (duplicate) one for 100 bucks... Trained my Harmony with this remote & voila all the functions were now accessible...
happy19.gif

This is the brand I got. Its an Indian company & they have almost every model..

http://rrelectronics.co.in/remotes.htm

Back