Unhappy studying Engineering

Hey guys. The title is self-explanatory.

Lemme explain. And if its awfully lengthy, I am sorry. So here goes.

I am currently pursuing a BE in EEE and I am in my first year right now. My semester end exams (first sem) are a couple of weeks away and I am genuinely unhappy doing something I don't really care about. This thought has been sitting on my mind ever since my Board exam results dropped (I belong to the 19-20 batch.) I was kind of pressured to take science during my 11th and 12th and I wasn't great at it but I also wasn't terrible at it. Fast forward, I got like 82 percent on my Board exams and sometimes and I was okay with it. I am currently studying in a tier 3 college in Chennai and I have to say, I am not happy with what I am doing. Yeah, I am doing really well in my classes and even topping almost all classes. But in the long run, I can't see myself trying to climb the corporate ladder or even work as an engineer. Ffs, I dunno what an Electrical Engineer does! I did a little research and stuff but honestly speaking, my true love lies in English. I'll admit, I love kids, teaching and English (please don't judge me.) I love writing, doing some research and things like that. I also wanna travel abroad and settle in countries like Singapore or Canada. Maybe I was blinded by the fact that only if I do engineering will I be able to move abroad. I know the pay as a teacher sucks but its better than getting my life sucked by doing something I don't like. It's not even a matter of me hating engineering. Lemme make something clear as well. Choosing EEE was kind of my choice. My parents were fine with me doing whatever I wanted to but my dad spoke to my tuition teacher about my ambitions of being a journalist (at that time) and he was worried about how much of a viable job it could be. She told me about this but my dad doesn't know that. I understand where they're coming from and I know they want the best for me.

Anyways, I am trying to drop out of engineering but I know for a fact that my parents will be pissed off. They're a bit conservative and they believe that a man should take care of his family and stuff. I was speaking to my high school English teachers and I was planning to get their help to support my cause. Worst case, they (my parents and teachers) disagree and they tell me to complete 4 years of engineering. Best case, they agree to what I am trying to say and help me make a smooth transition away from Engineering. My parents are also the kind of people who cares about what their family members think (pretty sure this is common in most Indian households)(especially my Mom.) I also paid like a year's worth of tuition fees to the college but I am sure I can leave from the second year onwards. Again, I should reiterate that I am not happy doing something I don't love and that it was my own choice. (I know, I am stupid.) I've been letting this thought simmer in my head for the past year (since board results dropped)

Say things come to the worst case, is it still a good idea to pursue English in the future or is there anyway I can be an English teacher? I'd love to know what you all think. I'd appreciate any kind of help I can get. I just wanna get out of this messy situation.

Thanks for reading and I hope y'all have a great day! :)

TLDR; not happy doing engineering, want to pursue becoming a teacher in another country, how do I convince my parents.

If doing Engg is bothering you so much then its good that you are thinking about it now otherwise you may have done this kind introspection/ have a mid life crisis much later in life

Most parents will fully accept their childrens career choice only if they feel that it will lead to some level of financial independence and security

Perhaps you can talk to someone in teaching profession to get better clarity on your options

Okay, so you mentioned that your interest is English and you love writing. Besides, you want to be a teacher as well. Let me tell you that going abroad and settling in some foreign country is a very long-term goal and you should not see this as even your goal now. If you still haven't started your Engineering, it is better to persuade your parents and opt for some professional courses that are related to your interest, People might judge you if you tell that that you are doing a BA or an MA at this point, but you should not let that hamper your choice.
And if you have started your Engineering, just complete it somehow because Engineering is not an end to the world. I am also a Civil Engineer by my parent's choice but I am not working as a Civil Engineer now. In fact, I did complete my course in spite of hating it and worked as a civil engineer for a year. But them it was not my interest so I left it and now I am doing well in my life. However, have short-term goals and achieve them. Settling in Singapore or any other such country is not even a goal. It's just a fantasy of a 19-year old teenager and you would realize that this was something really foolish.

I will be blunt :

1. As a very specific goal, no you probably can't be an English teacher per se in foreign nations because they mostly seek native western speakers (foreigners that is) for those roles regardless of the level (school to University). Besides, higher-level positions in humanities and social sciences are hard to come by even for born and bred folk let alone recent migrants.

2. Whatever you are trying to do doesn't necessarily have to be your academic focus. Something like English and literature can be pursued without much difficulty outside brick-and-mortar college degrees. Not the same for STEM, Law, Medicine etc. (although interesting changes are afoot). Work a side hustle and try to slowly transition to making it primary. This is the safe model to follow and gives you a good risk/reward balance. You have to balance focus with flexibility all your life.

3. Overqualify rather than under. Meaning, it is possible (and plausible) for a law graduate or Nuclear physicist to transition to English but not otherwise. You will have many years to think about and design your career, don't think it is imperative you throw your lot obsessively one way or another now. Do your research, get an idea of the kind of jobs available for English teachers or the possibility of being self-employed. If you are dead set on English what level of education are you wanting to go to and why (and there is a great diversity in the kind of programs available ranging from post-modernist philosophy to renaissance literature)?

4. Moving abroad is not necessarily a bad goal to have. But you need to particularize and diversify it. Also, you need time to research your model = when you will do it and how. I don't have time to give you detailed advice, but whatever you do, make sure it is dual-use. Put yourself on the path of financial viability both here and whatever nation you pick. Know who bears the risk of failure and to what extent. What fraction of your Family's net worth will be consumed? How else might it be utilized? Understand, it may be that you cannot have a job you really enjoy in the near term (or medium) i.e. you pick your poison hoping to one day have better options than poison. Research the viability of a place thoroughly, financially, geo-politically, etc. The world, in general, is very unstable atm and economically imploding - you have to be careful with places like Canada or Singapore. Understand the law and economics of immigration v. alternatives like building your career and net worth in India and leveraging it in the future.

5. lastly, you sound somewhat naive (which is not surprising considering your age). The world is chock full of dangerous lunatics and I am not saying this lightly. Find some way to integrate your personal interests in terms of a career within a broader and wiser framework of rugged survival. Understand everything from economics to philosophy to history. Understand Automation and the future of work. You will naturally begin to see what makes sense for you in particular. Do more not less. Are you gaining more time and energy by giving up EEE for your interest in English? Can you do both? What should be the mix of your activities? There are many things that will seem extremely viable in the future and not now. The world will look different to you with a lot more wisdom in your head and a lot more money in your account. You could teach English to those struggling with scientific terminology, start your own platform with your own funds etc.

Sorry if I have been rude but you really need to grow as a person is the general answer for these matters and it applies at every age for everyone. Some people know where they want to go at 20 and some don't. Make sure your heart is not fickle and will see you through whatever decision you make. Personally, I would suggest you wait but don't give up exploring your options and dreaming - Big dreams can be delusional but they can carry you through dark days.

If doing Engg is bothering you so much then its good that you are thinking about it now otherwise you may have done this kind introspection/ have a mid life crisis much later in life

Most parents will fully accept their childrens career choice only if they feel that it will lead to some level of financial independence and security

Perhaps you can talk to someone in teaching profession to get better clarity on your options
Yeah, I know. Worst case, I do 4 years of engineering and then move onto something else. I do agree with the finance part. That was the only thing that stopped my parents from allowing me to choose Journalism.
Okay, so you mentioned that your interest is English and you love writing. Besides, you want to be a teacher as well. Let me tell you that going abroad and settling in some foreign country is a very long-term goal and you should not see this as even your goal now. If you still haven't started your Engineering, it is better to persuade your parents and opt for some professional courses that are related to your interest, People might judge you if you tell that that you are doing a BA or an MA at this point, but you should not let that hamper your choice.
And if you have started your Engineering, just complete it somehow because Engineering is not an end to the world. I am also a Civil Engineer by my parent's choice but I am not working as a Civil Engineer now. In fact, I did complete my course in spite of hating it and worked as a civil engineer for a year. But them it was not my interest so I left it and now I am doing well in my life. However, have short-term goals and achieve them. Settling in Singapore or any other such country is not even a goal. It's just a fantasy of a 19-year old teenager and you would realize that this was something really foolish.
I understand and yes, moving abroad isn't an immediate concern of mine but rather a ling-term goal, if that makes sense. Do you mind me asking, what are you doing right now? And yes, looking at how things are going, I guess I'll be most likely be completing engineering and trying to move into teaching English.
I will be blunt :

1. As a very specific goal, no you probably can't be an English teacher per se in foreign nations because they mostly seek native western speakers (foreigners that is) for those roles regardless of the level (school to University). Besides, higher-level positions in humanities and social sciences are hard to come by even for born and bred folk let alone recent migrants.

2. Whatever you are trying to do doesn't necessarily have to be your academic focus. Something like English and literature can be pursued without much difficulty outside brick-and-mortar college degrees. Not the same for STEM, Law, Medicine etc. (although interesting changes are afoot). Work a side hustle and try to slowly transition to making it primary. This is the safe model to follow and gives you a good risk/reward balance. You have to balance focus with flexibility all your life.

3. Overqualify rather than under. Meaning, it is possible (and plausible) for a law graduate or Nuclear physicist to transition to English but not otherwise. You will have many years to think about and design your career, don't think it is imperative you throw your lot obsessively one way or another now. Do your research, get an idea of the kind of jobs available for English teachers or the possibility of being self-employed. If you are dead set on English what level of education are you wanting to go to and why (and there is a great diversity in the kind of programs available ranging from post-modernist philosophy to renaissance literature)?

4. Moving abroad is not necessarily a bad goal to have. But you need to particularize and diversify it. Also, you need time to research your model = when you will do it and how. I don't have time to give you detailed advice, but whatever you do, make sure it is dual-use. Put yourself on the path of financial viability both here and whatever nation you pick. Know who bears the risk of failure and to what extent. What fraction of your Family's net worth will be consumed? How else might it be utilized? Understand, it may be that you cannot have a job you really enjoy in the near term (or medium) i.e. you pick your poison hoping to one day have better options than poison. Research the viability of a place thoroughly, financially, geo-politically, etc. The world, in general, is very unstable atm and economically imploding - you have to be careful with places like Canada or Singapore. Understand the law and economics of immigration v. alternatives like building your career and net worth in India and leveraging it in the future.

5. lastly, you sound somewhat naive (which is not surprising considering your age). The world is chock full of dangerous lunatics and I am not saying this lightly. Find some way to integrate your personal interests in terms of a career within a broader and wiser framework of rugged survival. Understand everything from economics to philosophy to history. Understand Automation and the future of work. You will naturally begin to see what makes sense for you in particular. Do more not less. Are you gaining more time and energy by giving up EEE for your interest in English? Can you do both? What should be the mix of your activities? There are many things that will seem extremely viable in the future and not now. The world will look different to you with a lot more wisdom in your head and a lot more money in your account. You could teach English to those struggling with scientific terminology, start your own platform with your own funds etc.

Sorry if I have been rude but you really need to grow as a person is the general answer for these matters and it applies at every age for everyone. Some people know where they want to go at 20 and some don't. Make sure your heart is not fickle and will see you through whatever decision you make. Personally, I would suggest you wait but don't give up exploring your options and dreaming - Big dreams can be delusional but they can carry you through dark days.
Please don't apologise bro. What you said makes sense and sometimes, a teen like me who hasn't seen the world yet needs a perspective like yours. Lemme address each point.

1. I was thinking more along the lines of an IB teacher, if that makes sense? Worst case, I'd have to work here as a teacher. At least I'd still be avoiding engineering.
2. Problem is, I wanna teach English to kids. To get a job as an English teacher, I'd still need a B.Ed and BA in English, right? Please do correct me if I am wrong. Honestly, I am really clueless but all I know is that I don't wanna do Engineering for sure.
3. Time is of the essence really. I don't wanna go up to my 30s figuring out what I really wanna do, if I am going to be honest. I agree. I am currently doing my research to see what exactly I should be doing. So far, yes, I wanna teach. Maybe I might expand into doing some English based research, if that makes sense.
4. I know. It's more like a long-term goal. I do have a plan in the works about that and I know that moving abroad immediately is almost impossible. Although, yes, you did make me realize how much work needs to be done before actually moving somewhere.
5. Yeah, like I mentioned, I definitely appreciate an older person's perspective on everything. Obviously, you've seen a lot more than I have and you are wayyy more experienced than me. I think I can do both. Maybe during my PG, if I ever do end up doing it in Engineering, I think I can take a minor in English or something. I 100% agree with you. Things can change in the future and nothing is constant.

Again, just to iterate, you weren't rude. I needed a perspective like this. If its the worst case scenario, I have nothing to lose, right? I do end up with a BEngg degree and I guess I can still pursue English for my masters. I know I'd hate myself for not doing what I really love and I'd end up projecting that onto. I know for a fact that Engg isn't for me. The very thought of doing that makes me really depressed. If I study English, at least I'd have the satisfaction in knowing that I'd pursue something that I actually love. My parents are a bit conservative and they think a man needs to take care of his family. I'd even be a stay-at-home dad if that was an option, not going to lie. But sometimes, survival is a priority than passion, right? Sorry if I sounded passive aggressive in any manner. Didn't really mean to do that. :( I will keep exploring ways to do what I actually wanna do. I've ruled out engineering for sure. It's only a matter of finance and time.

Last edited:
I will be blunt :

Won't this depend on the quality of the school too? I have a relative who is settled in non-English speaking EU country (not in everyday life at least). She used to call me a lot and would always invite me to stay with her if I don't like it here anymore. She said there are a lot of schools looking for English-speaking teacher. But that I needed to undergo training to learn the native language too. Basically a fluent dual-language speaker. Good EU schools pay a lot apparently but people always prefer higher salaries (that's how many of them live a comfortable life and how their HDI's are really high, the country which I'm referring to here is top 5 EU as well as Global ranking) so the fluent ones always leave for greener pastures.
But I do agree that many top tier orgs and companies look only for native English speakers. I applied for a writing job for a major news orgs based in EU but they wanted only native English speakers. There are also unreported racism in many of these companies btw. This is a well known fact.

Won't this depend on the quality of the school too? I have a relative who is settled in non-English speaking EU country (not in everyday life at least). She used to call me a lot and would always invite me to stay with her if I don't like it here anymore. She said there are a lot of schools looking for English-speaking teacher. But that I needed to undergo training to learn the native language too. Basically a fluent dual-language speaker. Good EU schools pay a lot apparently but people always prefer higher salaries (that's how many of them live a comfortable life and how their HDI's are really high, the country which I'm referring to here is top 5 EU as well as Global ranking) so the fluent ones always leave for greener pastures.
But I do agree that many top tier orgs and companies look only for native English speakers. I applied for a writing job for a major news orgs based in EU but they wanted only native English speakers. There are also unreported racism in many of these companies btw. This is a well known fact.
Good info. I am pretty sure you will have a tough time becoming an English teacher in an essentially rather than an incidentally English speaking nation i.e. English as the native language or cosmopolitan necessity (the usual places for Indians to go to) rather than purely economic convenience in the 21st century. Only in a native English-speaking country can you get away without knowing an intermediary third language in addition. Wouldn't be impossible but you would be trying to compete in a market where westerners are well known to enter via emigration. You don't want ordinarily to teach a culture its own specialty or to compete with people whose specialty it is - no matter how good you are.

You see English can be studied as a degree but can be acquired as a skill later on too or on the side. There is a lot of requirement of good content writers, teachers ( online and school / college ).
If you can convince parents, sure do some other degree ( English or a compromise that your parents can agree and you like doing as well )

If you cant convince them, do the engg. but also as a hobby, study and practice English on the side in whatever time you can invest.
Write for online publications if you can and build up your knowledge and skills in English.
By the time you complete engg, you can have enough examples to show to employers or purse English course or teach depending on where you are 3 years later mentally regarding next moves in life and career

You don't want ordinarily to teach a culture its own specialty or to compete with people whose specialty it is - no matter how good you are.
That's for sure but my point is he can if it's in non-native English speaking countries like Russia, Ukraine etc. and not in The Netherlands and England lol. Some of my friends work in the first two countries.
From what I see OP has two main problems:
1. Will he be able to pick up the native language and if yes how long will he take? My relative started learning in late 2000's and moved there after 3-4 years but she ate and lived the language lol. Prior to that she was a Central government employee in New Delhi.
2. Will he be good enough for English speaking countries? This I doubt.
But all hope is not lost. I strongly believe that there are much opportunities there mainly in medical and teaching.
So OP might need to toil harder than his life in engineering.

You see English can be studied as a degree but can be acquired as a skill later on too or on the side. There is a lot of requirement of good content writers, teachers ( online and school / college ).
If you can convince parents, sure do some other degree ( English or a compromise that your parents can agree and you like doing as well )

If you cant convince them, do the engg. but also as a hobby, study and practice English on the side in whatever time you can invest.
Write for online publications if you can and build up your knowledge and skills in English.
By the time you complete engg, you can have enough examples to show to employers or purse English course or teach depending on where you are 3 years later mentally regarding next moves in life and career
Are writing books considered? I have published three books already and there are a lot more in the works. (Also, I think it isnt since anyone can write a book and publish it nowadays.)

I am also a freelance writer on the side. I am looking to write for some magazines as well and just keep accumulating knowledge in English.

Question is can you speak English fluently and if possible NOT in an Indian accent? Not to be rude. Because you asked if you could be an English teacher outside India. People don't mind the accent in India but they do outside from what I know because foreigners are unable to understand the accent. For example, my natural accent is the pretty thick SEA asian accent, like people from the Philippines (mostly), Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and the people in my region (North-East) has no problem understanding me but my friends who live in other parts of India (mainland India as we call it) can't so I have to use the Indian accent when I talk with them.
But for mainstream writing the accent shouldn't matter.
Anyway whatever you want to pursue I hope you will do it whole-heartedly because competition is too damn high.

Question is can you speak English fluently and if possible NOT in an Indian accent? Not to be rude. Because you asked if you could be an English teacher outside India. People don't mind the accent in India but they do outside from what I know because foreigners are unable to understand the accent. For example, my natural accent is the pretty thick SEA asian accent, like people from the Philippines (mostly), Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and the people in my region (North-East) has no problem understanding me but my friends who live in other parts of India (mainland India as we call it) can't so I have to use the Indian accent when I talk with them.
But for mainstream writing the accent shouldn't matter.
Anyway whatever you want to pursue I hope you will do it whole-heartedly because competition is too damn high.

Yeah. I've developed like a Brit-Aussie accent over the past few years. No, you weren't rude bro. You only asked a question. Nothing rude about that,

good points made by @puns here.

it is hard to follow dream life specially in India where our lives major decisions are too much interfered by parents . I am not saying parents are always wrong It is just that at your age it is very important for you to make the decision yourself and work towards your dream now than to live someone else live .
but ....What Puns suggested is very ideal and practical thing to do this way you can have a more secure future and yet be able to go forward with your dream life too . Yes it is lot of hard work here though and you might feel unhappy for sometime but it is still very logical approach.

One advice that I would give you is that whatever decision you take in the end be very strong about it and follow wholeheartedly . Dont bring yourself ever to regret your own decision.

"Life’s Too Short to Be Stuck in the Wrong Job" bro.

good points made by @puns here.

it is hard to follow dream life specially in India where our lives major decisions are too much interfered by parents . I am not saying parents are always wrong It is just that at your age it is very important for you to make the decision yourself and work towards your dream now than to live someone else live .
but ....What Puns suggested is very ideal and practical thing to do this way you can have a more secure future and yet be able to go forward with your dream life too . Yes it is lot of hard work here though and you might feel unhappy for sometime but it is still very logical approach.

One advice that I would give you is that whatever decision you take in the end be very strong about it and follow wholeheartedly . Dont bring yourself ever to regret your own decision.

"Life’s Too Short to Be Stuck in the Wrong Job" bro.

I 100% agree. The last thing I want is to basically hate myself (and my parents for that matter) for doing something I abhor and project that hatred onto others around me. I've never been more clear about something. Engineering isn't for me and like @puns and @madara_uchiha has said, its a safer bet to pursue engineering and then pursue something I love or pursue something along with engineering. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Hey guys. The title is self-explanatory.

Lemme explain. And if its awfully lengthy, I am sorry. So here goes.

I am currently pursuing a BE in EEE and I am in my first year right now. My semester end exams (first sem) are a couple of weeks away and I am genuinely unhappy doing something I don't really care about. This thought has been sitting on my mind ever since my Board exam results dropped (I belong to the 19-20 batch.) I was kind of pressured to take science during my 11th and 12th and I wasn't great at it but I also wasn't terrible at it. Fast forward, I got like 82 percent on my Board exams and sometimes and I was okay with it. I am currently studying in a tier 3 college in Chennai and I have to say, I am not happy with what I am doing. Yeah, I am doing really well in my classes and even topping almost all classes. But in the long run, I can't see myself trying to climb the corporate ladder or even work as an engineer. Ffs, I dunno what an Electrical Engineer does! I did a little research and stuff but honestly speaking, my true love lies in English. I'll admit, I love kids, teaching and English (please don't judge me.) I love writing, doing some research and things like that. I also wanna travel abroad and settle in countries like Singapore or Canada. Maybe I was blinded by the fact that only if I do engineering will I be able to move abroad. I know the pay as a teacher sucks but its better than getting my life sucked by doing something I don't like. It's not even a matter of me hating engineering. Lemme make something clear as well. Choosing EEE was kind of my choice. My parents were fine with me doing whatever I wanted to but my dad spoke to my tuition teacher about my ambitions of being a journalist (at that time) and he was worried about how much of a viable job it could be. She told me about this but my dad doesn't know that. I understand where they're coming from and I know they want the best for me.

Anyways, I am trying to drop out of engineering but I know for a fact that my parents will be pissed off. They're a bit conservative and they believe that a man should take care of his family and stuff. I was speaking to my high school English teachers and I was planning to get their help to support my cause. Worst case, they (my parents and teachers) disagree and they tell me to complete 4 years of engineering. Best case, they agree to what I am trying to say and help me make a smooth transition away from Engineering. My parents are also the kind of people who cares about what their family members think (pretty sure this is common in most Indian households)(especially my Mom.) I also paid like a year's worth of tuition fees to the college but I am sure I can leave from the second year onwards. Again, I should reiterate that I am not happy doing something I don't love and that it was my own choice. (I know, I am stupid.) I've been letting this thought simmer in my head for the past year (since board results dropped)

Say things come to the worst case, is it still a good idea to pursue English in the future or is there anyway I can be an English teacher? I'd love to know what you all think. I'd appreciate any kind of help I can get. I just wanna get out of this messy situation.

Thanks for reading and I hope y'all have a great day! :)

TLDR; not happy doing engineering, want to pursue becoming a teacher in another country, how do I convince my parents.
You are an idiot. you are not dreaming big.

I would say don't restrict your self to one Language. I would say start learning multiple languages.

-Your current situation in engg is a good situation to be in .It gives you a solid backup plan. All the foreign university would require a 4 year bachelors degree. Engg is a solid degree to have .You have 3 years to plan out your next move towards realizing what you want and could start working on it.

-I would recommend start planning for Canada . Do your research for for masters in English in good Canadian university . There you would get your degree as well as work permit. And if you are thinking of teaching than there are some international English teaching certifications CELTA/TEFL etc. i don't recollect them exactly but CELTA is one of them.

Regarding are you unto the mark questions , i would say no one is ,you or anyone else will get better with time by conversing with people .

-Conversation with Indians wont help you on the accent part nor you would learn a proper way of conversing in English.

-To sharpen your skills or i could say good command on language you should check out below mentioned website ,you could meet different people and converse in different languages a lot of fun .You could make meaningful connections which could open up new opportunities.

-Don't stop writing books articles etc. .If you plan to do masters in foreign universities those would bee your highlights in the application. I would say write ,write a lot even free writing etc.

Dropping out of Engg would be foolish. You could achieve it but you need to plan for it and work on it in upcoming 3 years.

You are an idiot. you are not dreaming big.

I would say don't restrict your self to one Language. I would say start learning multiple languages.

-Your current situation in engg is a good situation to be in .It gives you a solid backup plan. All the foreign university would require a 4 year bachelors degree. Engg is a solid degree to have .You have 3 years to plan out your next move towards realizing what you want and could start working on it.

-I would recommend start planning for Canada . Do your research for for masters in English in good Canadian university . There you would get your degree as well as work permit. And if you are thinking of teaching than there are some international English teaching certifications CELTA/TEFL etc. i don't recollect them exactly but CELTA is one of them.

Regarding are you unto the mark questions , i would say no one is ,you or anyone else will get better with time by conversing with people .

-Conversation with Indians wont help you on the accent part nor you would learn a proper way of conversing in English.

-To sharpen your skills or i could say good command on language you should check out below mentioned website ,you could meet different people and converse in different languages a lot of fun .You could make meaningful connections which could open up new opportunities.

-Don't stop writing books articles etc. .If you plan to do masters in foreign universities those would bee your highlights in the application. I would say write ,write a lot even free writing etc.

Dropping out of Engg would be foolish. You could achieve it but you need to plan for it and work on it in upcoming 3 years.
Thanks for the advice bro. Yeah, I know. That's what people have been telling. Yeah, I did some research and I did come across CELTA and TEFL. Thank you for all the help bro. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice bro. Yeah, I know. That's what people have been telling. Yeah, I did some research and I did come across CELTA and TEFL. Thank you for all the help bro. I greatly appreciate it.
not an issue.

now my real advice to you .Don't even fixate that you would be teaching field. There are some job roles where language proficiency is paramount.

-Incident Managers in MNC .
-Language & dialect Trainers in MNC.
-Writing technical Documents is a skill and there are official job roles out there.
-Translators multiple languages.
-I even have a Vice President sales (speaks 7-8 different foreign languages fluently) at my workplace wherein he does have an engineering degree but has never worked in engineering role .During his college days he did part time jobs which were more or less had roles of supervisor or small management roles and he got liking to those roles .Those part time job included interaction with people with different race and who spoke diff languages. There he picked up few new languages and acquired good conversation skills .Which led him to management and he is selling the products globally.
-RJs /Dubbing artist etc. .i am aware that voice modulation training reqd but the core of it is command over language and conversation skills.

In your current college days apart from your engg studies ,take part in events be lively talk with students of other departments that helps with communication skill which is one of the most skill that one should have.

As a parent of two kids this is what I have to say.

My elder child (daughter) wanted to become a Chef. I knew it was just the fascination of watching Top Chef and other cookery contests at that age. She was around 10 years. I was willing to send her to Paris for higher levels of culinary courses so I asked her to take up French as language at her school. Even after 5 years she still wanted to become a chef. Call me cruel or realistic, I asked her to take her time to practice chopping onions finely. Eventually she had to chop 2 Kgs of Onions within a time limit. She took up the challenge and gave up chopping in 5 minutes. I told her that just because she is good at enjoying gourmet food doesn't mean she can whip up one. That is when realization struck her.

She wanted to do Engineering in Food Technology in a National Level college while she could have easily gotten CS in any good local college. I tried to drive some sense into her. (The pay package of an engineering graduate in Food Technology is much lower than what MNCs would pay for a CS graduate and that there are not many job opportunities in her line of field. The other aspect is, much like you, she too is fascinated about living abroad. She lived her first few years in USA. The opportunity to go abroad as a Computer consultant is much higher than a food technologist. I also asked her 5 to 10 years down the line what would she feel when her childhood friends post videos of their family vacations from abroad while she will be working in some small town/township at a factory making food products.) The only reason I let her pursue her choice is her answer. (She will be OK with it because it is her decision.) Today, she is employed in a small firm earning salary that is good enough for her in her nascent career. I am pretty confident that she will be very successful.

My second one, Son, is now in 12th. He loves Physics and Mathematics. Unlike his sister, he is very pragmatic. He wants to do B.Sc in Physics and Maths (either double major or a major and minor). He is still confused what he wants to do. He is very clear he is not IIT material. He probably will be able to get into some NIT but not into a good branch of engineering that he might like. He is currently thinking of doing B.Sc at Liberal Arts universities such as Ashoka University. He is very mature for his age. So, I do not interfere too much with his decision making. He comes to me with his options and asks for the pros and cons. I will have to see how things pan out for him. One thing he is very clear is that whether he does B.Sc Physics or Mathematics or even engineering, he wants to do something with either Physics or Mathematics as a career (It could be a Data Analyst, Data Scientist, Quantum Computing, AI, ML, Bio Tech etc).

While my daughter chose a very narrow stream of specialization at a very early stage, my son is looking to gain a broader scientific knowledge and narrow down on the specialization at a later stage. I, for one, strongly believe that one's education doesn't necessarily have to match with one's career. People metamorphose as their career progresses.

Having joined engineering, I suggest you complete it. Like others have stated, start learning other languages. As you already must be knowing, many words in English have roots in other languages. Learn as many foreign languages as possible. Do not make settling abroad as a goal. Ask yourself why you want to settle abroad. Are those things not achievable wherever you will be a few years down the line? If you make enough money would going abroad on vacations meet your goal?

Back