Unlimited gprs plans on vodafone

As far as I knw APN means Access Point Name,and the reason it should be updated is because whenever you connect to the internet you need a source an accesspoint which provides you with the access to the internet.:)

Praks said:
vodafone with corporate plans has 299 Rs per month - UNLIMITED GPRS
You can connect to computer & surf too :p - Cheapest broadband :)
damn Vodaphone says they have separate plan iPhones called some data plans.
Can anyone confirm if we can use iPhone on same plan ?

I have Vodafone Corporate Plan, called up on 111, inquired if they have any unlimited GPRS plan, was informed they do not have that on any plan, going for AirCel as they have unlimited GPRS, sorry zoozoos

Praks said:
vodafone with corporate plans has 299 Rs per month - UNLIMITED GPRS

You can connect to computer & surf too - Cheapest broadband

damn Vodaphone says they have separate plan iPhones called some data plans.

Can anyone confirm if we can use iPhone on same plan ?

tommy_vercetti said:
I have Vodafone Corporate Plan, called up on 111, inquired if they have any unlimited GPRS plan, was informed they do not have that on any plan, going for AirCel as they have unlimited GPRS, sorry zoozoos

Vodafone customer support will never say anything about unlimied plans.

Firm's here usually have a guy (third part probably) from the service provider, who comes once a week to the office.

He is the person to be contacted for all your mobile telephony needs.

For the record there is a Rs.99/month unlimited usage plan in airtel as well as vodafone.

tommy_vercetti said:

Aircel huh ? I use it but the problem is that the time to establish connection is really huge and their network is congested very often. They have another problem of disconnecting too often because of which downloading becomes a pain.

This I am telling for Bangalore. For many other cities it has issues so better confirm with a person in your area with aircel sim if its good.

From what I heard, it rocks in Tamil Nadu though.

OP,

I have Vodafone Live which gives me 100MB for 98 bucks.

Which browser do you use on your phone to access the internet? If its the in-built browser, try downloading and using Opera, and tweak the settings to low resolution pictures. Also, it downsizes the size of a webpage, a normal 200kb webpage needs just about 80kb on Opera for my phone. Try it.

I have have the same problem. I pay 10paisa/10kb for internet on my phone which is quite high. I am now thinking to migrating to BSNL 3G which has better speeds.

But the number change, is stopping me:(

damn you Vodafone, give us some good plans:mad:

yes,i just talked to them on 111.

They offered me the same rs 199 plan per month.

this is total rubbish!

They said new plans will be released soon.

Pat said:
^^Yes you can but only if you are jailbroken as you need to update the APN..

Guys, Vodaphone UNLMTD Plan for 299 Rs is available in Bangalore on selected corporate plans. NOT For normal plans.

@Pat

Can you post the method please or give URL.

If I modify APN, will Vodaphone come to know ? They specifically told iPhone will not work on normal GPRS plan. wanted to clarify from you.

johnie1 said:
op try out idea gprs.the unlimited postpaid plans are around 600+taxes per month.I am using it and i consistently get a speed of 25KBps which i feel is good compared to 236.8Kbps theoretical speed.

Not at all value for money since Airtel Mobile Office is Rs.498+tax and in MO, you get constant 30kB/s speed.

@srirama What is the cost of BSNL unlimited GPRS in postpaid plan in your city? In my circle, it is Rs.199/month.
I also have heard that view have released GPRS addon cards for prepaid connections too which cost around Rs.225. But those are not available in all cities. So check the availability in your city.

Praks said:
Guys, Vodaphone UNLMTD Plan for 299 Rs is available in Bangalore on selected corporate plans. NOT For normal plans.

@Pat

If I modify APN, will Vodaphone come to know ? They specifically told iPhone will not work on normal GPRS plan. wanted to clarify from you.
The CC told you that normal GPRS plans will not work on the iPhone since normal GPRS plans use a different APN than the iPhone specific plans.

Think of Access Points as locks and the name as the key. A lock will only open if you use the right key(that is the normal card unless you are an expert lockpicker ;) ). So only if your phone gives the right name to the network will it let you open the door and go online.

There is nothing wrong if you change the APN. But since it seems that the option for choosing APN is disabled in Vodafone branded iPhone s, you have to jailbreak your phone.

@hotshot05

Great, Thanks for explaining.

I can do any "Break" on iPhone :p till it allows me to surf net on normal GPRS Plans

Any URL which shows method to do this (Change APN for vodaphone)

Praks said:

@Pat

I'm on a corp plan in Bangalore too. But they say that they have no 299 Unlimited plan. How do I make them accept this?

@cignext

Do you pay monthly rental of 249 ? then I guess its applicable. Better talk to guys at your office mobile desk & Bargain. Dont talk much to c.care guys.

Praks said:
@cignext

Do you pay monthly rental of 249 ? then I guess its applicable. Better talk to guys at your office mobile desk & Bargain. Dont talk much to c.care guys.

Yeah currently I'm on the 249 plan only. But I'm moving to the better 129 plan. Anyway thanks, I'll talk to the office vodafone contact.

I have been in the market for unlimited GPRS plans lately. I live in BLR and here are my experiences:

• Airtel has unlimited GPRS for around 899 or something for Blackberry. I am not sure if they have unlimited plans for other phones.
  • Vodafone does NOT have any unlimited GPRS plans, except for Blackberry corporate connections. Further, they say GPRS will not work on jailbroken iPhones which is not true. I'll show how you can update your APN further down in this post. For corporates they have unlimited GPRS on Blackberry with similar tariff as Airtel.
  • BSNL has unlimited GPRS plans for Rs 199 on post-paid. BSNL has the best coverage and I always get great speeds. Currently I am trying out their GPRS service on a prepaid connection. BSNL has recently introduced Blackberry services too.
Another thing to note - what Airtel and Vodafone (called Vodafone Live!) give are actually not data plans. Which means you will be connected to a proxy and not an actual IP. Push services on Iphones do not work because of this. Nor do VPN connections. Push and VPN works beautifully on the normal BSNL GPRS plan. Vodafone has something called Mobile Connect if you want to access VPN, Push etc. Vodafone Mobile Connect | Latest EDGE Technology | Vodafone GPRS Roaming

So basically to access the Internet via private operators' GSM networks, you have:
  1. One plan for GPRS on your mobile which allows you to access HTTP and WAP sites only. No VPN, no push.
  2. A different plan if you want to use your phone as a modem, access VPN, Push etc. I am not sure how Airtel differentiates their GPRS plans, but for Vodafone I am pretty sure this is how it is.
  3. A different plan for GPRS on Blackberry phones. This offers a host of other services like Push email for enterprise and personal email etc.

Hope that made sense. :)

Now to set your APN on an iPhone:

1. Download and install iPhone Configuration Utility 2.1 from Apple. iPhone Configuration Utility 2.1 for Windows
  2. Click on Configuration Profiles on the right, once you start this application.
  3. You will be in the General option after you click on Configuration Profiles. Under Identity on the right, give a name for your profile. This can be anything.
  4. Click on the Advanced option on the left. Specify your APN here. For Vodafone:
    Code:
    APN - portalnmms
    Proxy Server - 10.10.1.100 and Port - 9401
    You can leave Access Point Username and Password blank.
  5. Connect your iPhone via USB. Once connected, it will show up under Devices. Click on your phone name and under the Configuration Profiles tab and you can find the Configuration Profile you just created listed there. Click on Install. You may have to enter a passcode on your iPhone and approve the installation via the iPhone as well.
  6. Reboot your iPhone and you should be able to access any website.

PS: If you want to test/enable Push services for jailbroken 2G iPhones, I recommend this - Pushfix.info. I have set up my iPhone to receive push notifications for my email, twitter updates and IM pings.

astrono_me said:
  • Vodafone does NOT have any unlimited GPRS plans, except for Blackberry corporate connections.

Airtel (Mobile Office) and Vodafone (VMC) both have unlimited gprs/edge corporate plan for Rs.99

I just got it activated on my vodaphone no.

Back