Unpacking Audioengine A2

HellSlyne

Adept
After 3 and half months of waiting:mad: , Bajaao finally sent me replacement set of A2 speakers. To compensate for this delay, they offered me fresh one year warranty. Since this is a totally new set of speakers, I decided to put up some pics to help people here who might be considering to buy the product.

As you can see, they sure did packaging in a hurry, but thats alright considering there are two original packing inside.

Outer cardboard box is neat with serial number and colour on both sides. A2s are available in two colours- satin black and hi-gloss white.

Inner carry box looks good with a nice handle for carrying. Both white and black models are displayed all over the box . So theres no way to identify which colour is inside other than for the stickers on sides.

Side lists key features:
Dual inputs (RCA and mini-jack)
Gold-plated speaker connections
Auto-sleep power saving mode
Hand-finished wood cabinets
Silk Tweeters and Kevlar woofers
Video-shielded
All cables included
Works with everything with RCA or mini-jack outputs

Top displays contents of the box and also shows the speakers are designed for AS8 and AW1 which are audioengine subwoofer and wireless adapter respectively. Since it is a powerful bass generator in itself with a 2.75" Kevlar woofer, I doubt anybody would want to couple them with a subwoofer. Afterall, its a pair of desktop speakers

Once you open the box, you can find it to be divided into two compartments seperated by styrofoam pads. Top pad contains two small drawstring bags: one with power supply and other with all required cables.

Remove top part and you can find two speakers in two large drawstring bags securely placed in grooves in bottom styrofoam pad. All gaps are filled with air bubble packaging material to absorb vibrations.

There is even a smooth paper bag covering each speaker:)

All the contents(from top left):
1/8" mini-jack audio cable, 2 meters
Power supply (Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz 1.2A, Output: +/- 17.5V 1.8A)
1/8" mini-jack audio cable, 20cm (for connecting your mp3 players)
Speaker cable, 2 meters
Setup Guide
4 Microfiber Drawstring bags
Speakers

This picture really shows hi-gloss finish of speakers. They are built of MDF board with hi-gloss resin finish. Have to say, Its damn sexy :D and be warned, its not scratch resistant. Even the slightest of scratches are gonna show, as demonstrated on my replaced set by my friend chiron :p. A2s measure 6”x 4”x5.25” and are one third in size and weight to big borther A5s, audioengine's bookshelf speakers.

One of the gripes about A2s is inaccessibilty of volume knob. It is provided on the back side of left speaker. Audioengine suggests to set knob to a definite position according to personal preference and further control volume from windows or respective applications.Thats lame, imo. Exit fullscreen or get yourself familiarised with shortcuts for reducing volume while watching movies....no, please!
You can also find power connector, audio cable connectors and two types of inputs on the rear end of left speaker. You will also notice the complete absence of bass/treble controls. You'll need to configure your EQ or over-powering bass is gonna swallow some highs and mids which may not be a bearable experience for quite a few.

Rear end of right speaker is clean with only audio connectors.

A thin sponge pad is provided at the bottom of speakers to limit vibrations passed.

Setup was breeze and can be done in minutes.

Green LED indicator on power brick

Though I have mentioned some cons about volume and bass/control, speakers sound great and u will definitely appreciate clarity maintained at higher volumes. I would like to review further but my technical jargon is not good enough:ashamed:. You can find lot of discussions here in TE esp., comparisons with undisputed champion MX5021.

i had to RMA it not once but twice.techhead here also had the same bad experience. Now, thats a problem for a product that doesnt come cheap. Bajaao should be more careful with their imports and maintaining stocks.3 and half months...come on...:mad:

PS: Speakers are great.everytime i b**ch about the speakers i would like to remind myself that these speakers are worth the money as long as it plays properly:)

Back