CPU/Mobo Unusual Problem w/ Computer Not booting at all. | Need Help.

Folks,

I have a celeron based system for my folks at Nagpur. Sometime back they complained that the system won't boot at all after switching on (there complaint: Screen is blank). I had been Nagpur sometime back and tried to figure out the problem. During that time, the problem appeared that the machine won't just boot.

So I suspected in following order:

1. Power supply
  2. Ram
  3. Motherboard

I checked the power supply for voltages, found them ok. Next I removed the battery and put it back
in, and checked the system. It boot up ok. So concluded that probably that the battery was the
culprit.

Past that just to do check, I rand memtest86 for a night and post that ran prime95 for another
night. Machine ran fine and didn't shutoff or anything.

However now again the problem has cropped up, the thing is that the machine just shuts itself off
and then doesn't reboot.

Any ideas as whats being missed?

The OS is XP Sp3 updated.

+LT

How old is the system? And I am assuming the power supply must be something that was bundled with the enclosure? If its older than say 2 years, it could be indications of a dying/defective power supply.

Desecrator said:
How old is the system? And I am assuming the power supply must be something that was bundled with the enclosure? If its older than say 2 years, it could be indications of a dying/defective power supply.
Pretty correct, yup the power supply is some generic ( I dont even remember name) and its more than 2 years (Was assembled during Feb 2008). The CPU fan and the chasis fan does whirr, but it won't boot up. So the PSU is the culprit?

If it comes to PSU which one would you suggest? VX300?

+LT

any local PSU should do ( though I have a preference for iball ones)

since this is an older system, make sure that the connectors match

Get urself a decent entry level PSU like the the FSP SAGAII 350~1.5k(2 yrs warranty) or Zebronics Pro 350w ~1.5k

If the budget is not that high then at least go for the VIP Silver 400w ~1-1.2k. Its a much better choice than generic ones.

@All

Thanks for the helps guys, I appreciate... now to find someone who can get the system from Nagpur to Pune :p. Any volunteer? Beer guaranteed!

+LT

well bro fiRST ALL CHECK WHEN U SWITCH ON THE MAIN PLUG...IS THERE ANY LED ACTIVITY ON THE MOBO. IF NOT THEN PSU IS THE CUPRIT...BUT IF THE LED IS THERE THEN CHECK FOR REFIXING ALL THE POWER CONNECTERS.

Back