Windows Updating to Windows 8.1 from 8, clean install

How to create a windows 8/8.1 bootable USB drive

1. Open the Command Prompt. This can be done by triggering the Run -- Windows Key + R -- feature, and opening "cmd".
  2. Type "diskpart" to open the disk partitioning software. Accept the UAC security prompt, if asked.
  3. Insert the USB drive.
  4. Type "list disk". The program will then show you a list of all the physical drives (HDD, SSD, USB, etc.) that are attached.
  5. Identify the disk number of the USB drive (it can be recognized by looking at the size column; it's usually the last listed disk) and type "select disk X", where "X" is the disk number of your USB drive.
  6. Type "clean". This will erase the contents of the USB drive, so make sure you have the contents backed-up beforehand.
  7. Type "create partition primary". This command will create a primary partition on the USB drive.
  8. Type "select partition 1". This command will select the created partition.
  9. Type "active". This command will make the selected partition active.
  10. Type "format fs=ntfs quick". This command will format the created partition as NTFS.
  11. Type "assign". This command will assign a letter to the USB drive, which will make it show under Windows Explorer.
  12. Copy the contents of the Windows 8.1 DVD or ISO from the created folder on the USB drive.

To do a clean install of windows 8.1 using windows 8 key, open the USB drive in Windows Explorer or File Explorer and navigate to the sources folder inside it. Right-click inside the sources folder, create a new text file, and name it ei.cfg . (Ensure it’s named ei.cfg , and not ei.cfg.txt — this may require ensuring file extensions are shown.) Open the ei.cfg file in Notepad or another text editor. Copy-paste the following text into the text file and then save it.

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

After this you can use windows 8 key to do a clean install of windows 8.1 .

any direct link to download

There is no direct link to the ISO. Just download the media creation tool and run it. It will give you the option to download the ISO. Did you even read the GHacks article I provided link to? Or, did you atleast try running the media creation tool? I am repeatedly writing in my posts that it will download the ISO, and yet you are asking the same question again and again.

I downloaded MSDN iso just when Windows 8.1 was first released. I still use that iso & it doesn't support Win8 key while installing. MS updated this much later. Thanks for the info.

Yes, that was the old tool, and it was a bit quirky to work. It is described here in this GHacks article:

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/19/download-windows-8-1-iso-image/

I have an OEM Windows 8 CD, and that key did not work for the above process. That's why I could not download the ISO.

This new one from Microsoft has been released just a few months ago only, and it's easy to use and download, and your Windows 8 key will work with it.

Sorry dude, if my questions bothered you.

Yes, I did read the article. I asked for link hoping if there is way to directly download it without any tools. Cos I don't have windows installed now and I was hoping if I could download in raspberry pi.

And I asked repeatedly, cos I thought someone might know some tricks to download directly.

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, maybe you can download from a friend, who has Windows installed? Or, just temporarily install Windows, and download the ISO.

If I knew about a direct download link for the ISO, I would have posted it.

From what I searched, mydigitallife forum has downloads for Windows 8 RTM, which is not Windows 8.1.

I am getting this error, what to do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 144
Update:

1. Installed Windows 8.1 :D Just downloaded some torrent, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, which was preactivated and shit. I entered my old product key and it worked:

key.jpg

2. Installed updates, they were installed successfully too:

up.jpg

So yes, I installed UEFI Windows and running successfully on a legacy bios (i.e. Non-UEFI BIOS) with GPT partitioned SSD. :D

Thank you all!

Back