Audio Upgrade from Nuforce 700x

quixand

Skilled
I need a new set of IEMs as the sound on my Nuforce 700x (Right channel) is gone, I suspect physical damage to the cable.

My progression with earphones has been

Creative EP630 - Too muddy, I like the tips on these
JVC Marshmallow - Too harsh
Melectronics ME6 - Getting a fit on these are tough, I use the thickest Triple Flange Tips provided and sometimes they do become lose while travelling, which is quite irritating. But they do sound decent to me when they fit well. I have to reduce the mids by a miniscule amount. There is decent kick to the sound but the bass is a little on the slower side (compared to Nuforce anyways).
Nuforce 700x - These feel extremely natural to me, the fit, comfort, sound. The cable is a little flimsy.

In a nutshell I'd like to try something along the lines of Nuforce 700x but a little more airy, if that makes any sense.

Please suggest.

Why don't you try VSonic GR02 Bass Edition?

NuForce NE-700 has got 7.3 from joker and VSonic GR02 Bass Edition has got 7.6 with a statement that he has never heard such bass from IEM around this price-level + Plethora of tips and accessories.

I don't think GR02BE is an "upgrade", at best a side grade with a slightly different take. I really don't think that assuming 7.6 is better than 7.3 is right. One has to read the review.

I've not heard the NE700X, only the older NE-7m. Based on that, these are the problem areas. From Joker's review

The mids are less liquid and intimate compared to the GR06 but warmer, cleaner, and a touch more forward compared to the GR99.

The top end of the GR02 bears some resemblance to the GR06 and GR07 models, with good presence and extension but a slight predisposition towards pointing out sibilance on tracks. For the price there are very few sets that do treble this well without sacrificing brightness as the lower-end GR99 does. Similarly, soundstaging prowess lags a little behind the higher-end models but is more than acceptable for the price. The soundstage is average in size and lacks the separation and layering of the GR06 but still provides a well-rounded sonic image for a satisfying experience.

If any, NE-7m was really smooth in the mids and the sound stage was really good. It's bass quality was not good, perhaps GR02BE can beat that, but may be NE700X already fixed that aspect. In other areas, it is not an 'upgrade' per se. DDM-1, MTPG - those might be better upgrades (though a compromise on fit and build quality respectively), but not within his budget.

@esanthosh

True what you said but we really don't know his budget at the moment. I just recommended him GR02 BE not because that we are selling those, but because that he might have bought NuForce because of the bass and by guessing that his budget may be somewhere close to this, I have suggested him GR02 Bass Edition because it's really a good IEM for less money - according to joker's review.

Last edited by a moderator:
He mentioned that he is looking for something a bit more airy with the similar sound signature as NE700X, which is why I did not think GR02BE may be an upgrade.

That said, I've not heard either. So, difficult to comment on the comparison.

@esanthosh @abhi_jollyguy
Thank you for your inputs, judging from what I've read about it the Radius DDMs sound very interesting. I will try to get my hands on those. But that will have to wait as I'm going in a different direction now.

Last edited by a moderator:
DDM-1 is horrible with fit and comfort. It isolates as much as an ear bud, which is practically nothing. DDM-1's cloth covered cable was too microphonic. I will think about a better alternative. DDM-1 was available as an OEM for $110 shipped, which is no longer the case. I won't pay more than that. DDM-2 is known to fail within months (if not weeks) and is horribly overpriced, IMO. The whole Monster series from MT to MDT has been plagued with numerous failures and will suit somebody in the US as they can get that life time replacement warranty easily.

So, your options... will need to think about them :23:

Back