17-10700k
Z490 UDAC
Hyper h410R cpu cooler
RTX 2060
Trident Z DDR4 3200mhz 2X8
550W PSU
Crucial 500gb p2 nvme ssd
WD 1Tb HDD

I'm looking to upgrade my gpu to either 4070 TiS or 4080 Super because I’m getting them at a good price. Need help to know which would be better, what other components would I need to change other than PSU. Bottlenecks, MOBO upgrade? Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Or should I build a completely new rig? If so could some some suggest a decent build around 4070 TiS or 4080 Super.

It would help if you had a budget.

If i was on a 1.5 Lakh budget.. i would get a 4k high refresh monitor + 4080 super + 32GB RAM and keep everything else.. because at 4k the cpu bottleneck is more or less removed.

I've seen charts where 12th gen i5's and 7800x3d performed about the same at 4k.. because at 4k the gpu becomes the bottleneck.

However if you want to keep 1440p or you already have a 1440p i would suggest going with a cheaper card and upgrading processor aswell.

You should mention your current resolutions + if there is a specific reason you're looking to upgrade (e.g a game you want to run at 4k but current specs cant do that, want to do ml work etc) that would help to guide better

You should mention your current resolutions + if there is a specific reason you're looking to upgrade (e.g a game you want to run at 4k but current specs cant do that, want to do ml work etc) that would help to guide better
I currently play at 1080 monitor mostly fps games but I want to upgrade to 1440/4k gaming.

Since you already have a working rig and decided on a GPU, why not test the rig with the new card and then decide on the rest later? Although that 550 might not cut it so may want to upgrade to at least 850 already. That GPU can certainly handle 4k if you got the cash to go at it and as encode suggested, there's a decent chance you wont have to upgrade the rest at all so better go step by step. But for most fps games and if you are planning to get something like 27 inch then a high refresh 2k monitor should suffice and there's plenty of competition and good pricing in that bracket. Try exploring a few options in store and decide what ppi you need at healthy viewing distance.

I currently play at 1080 monitor mostly fps games but I want to upgrade to 1440/4k gaming.
1440 or 4k? Lots of difference between them.
For 1440p, just put in a 12 (preferably 16 gb vram) card and you'll be fine.
I am using RX6800 with old i5 6600K with a 600PSU and I am getting same FPS in AAA as if I were using a modern CPU like 7800x3D : here is my post on this: https://techenclave.com/threads/will-gpu-upgrade-help-in-old-desktop.221266/post-2543587

but your cpu is even more faster. so good to go. If you are worried about cpu bottlenecking, then you can go with AMD gpu to steer clear of NVidia's driver overhead problem.

I am using RX6800 with old i5 6600K with a 600PSU and I am getting same FPS in AAA as if I were using a modern CPU like 7800x3D : here is my post on this: https://techenclave.com/threads/will-gpu-upgrade-help-in-old-desktop.221266/post-2543587

but your cpu is even more faster. so good to go. If you are worried about cpu bottlenecking, then you can go with AMD gpu to steer clear of NVidia's driver overhead problem.

I’m not really sure about the technical details. I play fps games on 1080 at 240fps I want to upgrade to 1440p for fps gaming and rest AAA I would like to play at 4K on a tv with 120ish fps as they are not as important compared to online shooters. I’ve never used AMD CPU OR GPU. I’d highly appreciate if I could get some help making a new setup also I want to sell my old rig. I mainly want to upgrade because I’m getting 4080 super at an amazing price of 69k
Also it’ll purely be used for gaming and a little bit of work like emails and excels that’s all nothing else.

Last edited:
It would help if you had a budget.

If i was on a 1.5 Lakh budget.. i would get a 4k high refresh monitor + 4080 super + 32GB RAM and keep everything else.. because at 4k the cpu bottleneck is more or less removed.

I've seen charts where 12th gen i5's and 7800x3d performed about the same at 4k.. because at 4k the gpu becomes the bottleneck.

However if you want to keep 1440p or you already have a 1440p i would suggest going with a cheaper card and upgrading processor aswell.
Yeah I can do a 1.5 lakh budget and yeah like you said upping monitor, gpu and ram would be good. But I also play fps shooter for that I need high frames 200+. Any suggested builds ? I’m getting 4080 Super for 69k

In case of 4080 super then, I think you will have to upgrade your PSU for sure.
It alone can pull 320W and you have a good cpu that can you can overclock (I would def do instead otherwise what is the point of buying K-series CPU) so thats north of 120W
and if you take in account of transient spikes of high end GPUs , then you are looking at 1000 watt psu to be safe at gaming at full load for 4k.

Transient spikes are no joke and OCP of your psu will save your system so go for a good quality psu.

Last edited:

I would've preferred 1440p as it is a good sweet spot for quality and performance. But you can go for 4k if that's what you want.

Wondering what is the need of 4k gaming and all. Just for visual treat or it will help in gaming. Not a gamer though but thinking on upgrading the pc. Mainly played csgo and fifa before, nothing else interests me as such. As I felt storyline is already decided and we're playing along

Back