Upgrading a Jio SIM to 5G will make it incompatible with 4G dongles.

A few months ago, I claimed Jio's 5G offer on my Jio SIM, and it stopped working with my HUAWEI-819C single. After chatting with customer support, I was informed that 5G SIMs are not supported on 4G dongles.
Screenshot 2023-09-03 001051.png

WTF? So let me get this straight... This also means one can't use their SIM in 4G phones as well. I thought the SIM would work on 4G/5G networks depending on availability.

WTF? So let me get this straight... This also means one can't use their SIM in 4G phones as well. I thought the SIM would work on 4G/5G networks depending on availability.
Since SIM card is used only to authenticate the user and not a transceiver, it has always been backwards compatible with previous gen networks. This might just be a move to phase out 4G dongles. Planned obsolescence to drive 5G dongle sales up.

Since SIM card is used only to authenticate the user and not a transceiver, it has always been backwards compatible with previous gen networks. This might just be a move to phase out 4G dongles. Planned obsolescence to drive 5G dongle sales up.
Yeah, seems like that to me. For 5G they'll bring out new JioFi models or whatever they're called next.
They probably want to lock customers to their products/platform.

@Pauljacob750 Can you check if your SIM works in a 4G only phone?

Back