Upgrading Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 to Intel Core i5 650

thawfu666

Adept
Hello Everyone...!!! My name is Mohammed and I need some help regarding upgrade of the processor ... My specs are:

Processor

Name: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Model: DG41RQ --- AAE54511-203

Memory (RAM)

Type: DDR2

Size: 4096 MBytes (4GB)

Slots: Dual or Two slots (2 x 2GB)

Graphics

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT

Size: 1024 MBytes (1GB)

This is my configuration and is a desktop... I would like to change the Core 2 Duo (which is an E7500 clocked @ 2.93 GHz) to Intel Core i5 (650 clocked @ 3.20GHz) ... Please tell me whether I can just buy the chip and insert it or should I buy another motherboard for the new chip ... I need replies before March 22nd ... Thank You...

Brought it
<

My budget is between 120-170 US$ ... I want to buy Intel Core i5 650 clocked at 3.20 GHz ... And it is 169$ in Amazon ...

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]You are in India or USA?

Go through the link Alpha17 has given and give us the relevant info. Edited out unwanted details. If you have a budget of $120-$170 (~9k) then I would suggest you stretch it a bit and get a Sandy Bridge based processor.

But then if its for gaming needs then with the current processor then just swapping your GPU for a better one like a HD7750 for $110 would do wonders than a processor change.

Your motherboard will support only Core2Duo processors and will not support any of the 1st and 2nd gen Core i series processors.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]So for a change to Core i series you need a new processor, new motherboard and DDR 3 RAM.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Give us the relevant info and we will try to come up with the best possible solution for you within your budget.[/font]

#thawfu666

• Q: What is your budget?
    • 120-170 US$
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel E7500
    • Motherboard - Intel DG41RQ
    • GPU - Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT
    • RAM - 4GB DDR2 RAM (2 x 2GB)
    • Monitor - Acer V193HQ
    • SMPS - Don't know
    • 1250 GB of storage
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • I will be keeping all the hardware except the motherboard and the processor
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel Core i5 2nd generation 650 clocked at 3.20 GHz
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
  • Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No, I won't be upgrading for another 4-5 years
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • US (Amazon or BestBuy)
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I prefer only Intel as there are showrooms here in Chennai where I may ask for any help (I am in Chennai)
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Racing - Need For Speed The Run
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Gaming - 1024x768
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Could u explain me what is this ?
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

[P.S. I live in Chennai and my aunt is in US. She is planning to come here in July so I will tell her to buy my needs] Thanks...

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The i5 650 is already a generation old. Its also a dual core processor.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The current gen in the 2nd gen Core i Sandy bridge.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The 3rd gen Ivybridge would be released in couple of months. So wait for that and then make a purchase.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]But my advice would be to upgrade the GPU rather than the processor since that has a much greater impact on gaming since you already have a pretty decent processor.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Get a HD6770 or HD7750 1GB GDDR5 for ~6.5k[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Get a new SMPS/PSU like the Corsair CX430 v2 ~ 2.5k[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]You can get these both locally and enjoy ~600% boost in gaming performance
<
[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7750/26.html[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5450_1_GB/28.html[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Check the review. The HD5450 performance is 19% of HD7750. The 9400GT performance is 81% of HD5450.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Is in effect the performance of 9400GT is only about 15.5% of the HD7750! Guess the chart would explain the quantum of jump you would experience.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The C2D E7500 is a pretty good processor and will not bottleneck the GPU performance. So just go ahead and upgrade your GPU and SMPS.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]#thawfu666 [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]But my advice would be to upgrade the GPU rather than the processor since that has a much greater impact on gaming since you already have a pretty decent processor.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Get a HD6770 or HD7750 1GB GDDR5 for ~6.5k[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Get a new SMPS/PSU like the Corsair CX430 v2 ~ 2.5k[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]You can get these both locally and enjoy ~600% boost in gaming performance
<
[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.techpower...HD_7750/26.html[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.techpower...50_1_GB/28.html[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Check the review. The HD5450 performance is 19% of HD7750. The 9400GT performance is 81% of HD5450.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Is in effect the performance of 9400GT is only about 15.5% of the HD7750! Guess the chart would explain the quantum of jump you would experience.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The C2D E7500 is a pretty good processor and will not bottleneck the GPU performance. So just go ahead and upgrade your GPU and SMPS.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]#thawfu666 [/font]

Best Deal for 4~5 Years

And the reason why I want to upgrade my processor is because NFS The Run requires Intel Core 2 Quad (minimum). What should I do about it ?

http://en.wikipedia...._Speed:_The_Run

Minimum requirement is 2.4GHz C2D or a HD4870 or 8800GT equivalent.

Your processor has met the minimum requirement and has surpassed it a bit.

Your GPU power is about ~18% of the minimum requirement. That is why I am recommending an upgrade to at least a HD7750/HD6770.

Check the requirements!

#thawfu666

http://www.techpower...HD_5770/30.html

The HD5770 is the same as HD6770(rebrand). The HD7750 performance is also similar to these.

The HD6770/HD7750 is on par with the HD4870 and ~25% better than the 9800GTX.

A lot of people end up getting a unnecessary CPU upgrade whereas all they needed was a GPU upgrade!

If you have couple more thousand to spend you can even consider the HD7770 ~ 8.3k since its going to be a long time investment. It will give you a ~27% performance jump over the HD7750.

Thanks for all your replies ...
<
But my cousin told me to consider the NviDia GeForce GTX 550 having 2GB RAM ... When I checked it in Amazon, the price of NviDia GeForce GTX 550 is 160 US$ and the ATI Radeon HD 7750 is 120 US$ ... Please tell me the best one before 21st...
<
Thanks again to all of you who have answered ... :thanks!:

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Dont just go by the amount of vRAM. Its a myth created by sellers to sell off their stuff. [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The HD7750 is a newer 28nm fab and will consume much lesser power and has top power to performance ratio. It consumes just ~40w while gaming and max power consumption is just about ~70w![/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Do go through the review links of HD7750/HD7770 that I have posted. Its nothing technical. It has bar chart with performance of the GPU across a range of popular games. [/font]So it will give you an immediate idea regarding the performance of the GPU.

For $160 you can get a HD7770 which beats the GTX550Ti by 20%! For $160 in USA you can even pick up a HD6870 which is a absolute beast in performance and costs around ~11.5k here. But then that's a bit high for your setup considering it will consume lots of power.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]You would need to invest in much better Power supply and even a better cabinet.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Stick to the HD7750. The price difference between here and USA is just Rs.700 or so.So better get it here for better warranty support. Upgrade the PSU to CX430v2 and enjoy gaming from this weekend.[/font]

So, the amount of RAM in the card doesn't matter ? And if I buy the HD7750 and install it in my system, will the NFS The Run work smoothly without lags ? That's my only concern ...
<

HD7750 will run NFS smoothly at your reso without a doubt,go for it.
So, the amount of RAM in the card doesn't matter ? And if I buy the HD7750 and install it in my system, will the NFS The Run work smoothly without lags ? That's my only concern ...
<

<

Doesn't matter much in the sub $200 cards and sub HD gaming resolutions.

1GB and 2GB vRAM GTX550Ti will have a performance difference of ~1%-2%.

And yes the game will work smoothly

Back