Upgrading to a mid-range gaming pc

gunner22

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?

30K-35K

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - 15" Benq T505 :ashamed: (I know its quite old but i will be upgrading soon, not now)

HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Green

Speakers - 4.1 Umax

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

I've gone through many posts here and have an approximate idea of what i think will be a good configuration.

Please let me know your opinions on this.

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500

Mobo - MSI H67MA-E35 (B3)

GPU - MSI/Sapphire HD6850

RAM - Corsair XMS3 2*4GB DDR3

PSU - Corsair 500W CX / Corsair VX550W (not sure about this)

Cabinet - NZXT Gamma

Mouse - Logitech G400 Optical Mouse

KB - confused about this.. whether to go for wireless or wired.. :S

I wont be into competitive gaming or so.. need it for casual gaming.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Will be upgrading monitor soon. Nothing other than that for at least 3-4 years.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Lamington / Flipkart

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Gaming

Browsing

Watching HD movies

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Skyrim

NFS

COD

Assassin's creed

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

for gaming, low-mid resolution.

default for others.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

Windows XP

One of my major concerns is the compatibility of GPU and CPU with motherboard. I hope the above configuration will have no such issues. Another thing, what if i choose the lower end model of i5 processor, say i5-2310 or AMD Phenom II X4 955 ?

Will it have much of a difference if my GPU is good ? ^o bottleneck ?

There will be no compatibility issues with your CPU & GPU neither will going for a low end i5 2320 will bottleneck your GPU

If you are in casual gaming I think wireless keyboard is good for you

One more thing, you have mentioned that you are open to buying second-hand products from TE market, so I am planning to sell my RAM[4GB(2GBX2), 2 months old], if you are interested I can set a thread in members market

Also the power supply you have chosen(550W) is enough for your rig but I think you should take a look at the seasonic bronze line

a Core i5 2320 would be perfect since you won't notice much performance drops in real time scenarios.

If you've to choose between Corsair CX500 and Corsair VX 550, the latter wins the bet with good margins.

Casual gaming - Wireless keyboard rocks , you won't notice lags unless you're playing demanding FPS games.

For GPU - you can look for this instead of HD 6850, http://www.techenclave.com/video-hardware/sapphire-hd-6950-1gb-ram-203385.html . It'll give you more FPS when you buy new monitor and is worth every penny.

CPU - Intel Core i5-2400-10.2k[since you are not overclocking]
Mobo - MSI H67MA-E35 (B3)-4.5k
GPU - MSI/Sapphire HD6850-9.5k[for the 22" monitor which you will upgrade to]
RAM - Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3-3.5k or Gskill ripjaws X 2X4GB-3.3K
PSU - seasonic s12ii 520w-3.6k
Cabinet - NZXT Gamma-2.1k
Mouse - Logitech G400 Optical Mouse-1.6k
keyboard-Logitech k200-0.4k
Hope this helps:)

allrounder799 said:
One more thing, you have mentioned that you are open to buying second-hand products from TE market, so I am planning to sell my RAM[4GB(2GBX2), 2 months old], if you are interested I can set a thread in members market

thanks, but am looking for 2x4GB.

Also the power supply you have chosen(550W) is enough for your rig but I think you should take a look at the seasonic bronze line

yes, seasonic seems to be a good alternative as VX550 will cost me around 1.5 k more.

which one would be better amongst Corsair 500W CX and SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ?

ashis_lakra said:
Casual gaming - Wireless keyboard rocks , you won't notice lags unless you're playing demanding FPS games.

Cool.. any good wireless KB within 2K ?

Also, u suggested 6950 over 6850. Although it might be considerably better, but it'll be quite expensive for my budget. guess i can do without few extra FPS.. :)

^ thanks..
for KB am inclined towards wireless but my only concern is the ghosting issue which i use to face on some keyboards while playing FIFA.. So any idea if the new wireless ones are OK for this ?

Also, i wanted to know if i would need any cooling fans as the NZXT Gamma comes with a single one ?

^ why are you suggesting inferior 960t over i5 dude..he is not going to overclock it anyway..and afaik 960t availability is hard to get in india !!

^ i5 is 4core. 960T is BE Thuban(will unlock to X6).

X6 is not inferior to i5.

If something is not available on internet, it doesn't mean it isn't available at all - It is easily available and in quantity.

Enjoy! :)

@gunner22
Dont go for AMD as you are no at all OC and you have nice budget so get intel i5.My suggestion as follow:

CPU - Intel Core i5-2400-10.2k[since you are not overclocking]
Mobo - MSI H67MA-E35 (B3)-4.5k
GPU - MSI/Sapphire HD6850 - 9.5k / HD 6950/GTX 560Ti - 14k [for the 22" monitor which you will upgrade to]
RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB 1333 mhz-- 1.2k
PSU - seasonic s12ii 520w - 3.6k
Cabinet - NZXT Gamma - 2.1k
Mouse - Logitech G400 Optical Mouse-1.6k
keyboard-Logitech k200-0.4k
HD 6950/GTX 560 TI far better than HD6850.
The few frames does make difference like if you are going to run GTA 34 using iCEnhance or ENB MOD(Which makes game look real and gorgeous) then HD 6950 might give 30FPS or less.
So get HD 6950 to play games at 1080 p high detail and also to enjoy those MODS.
And totally with HD 6850 as GFX cost is 32k
With HD6950/GTX 560Ti cost is 36k.

I know that you are into casual gaming but given your budget you can build a pretty nice future proof rig so thats why i suggested the above .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

*GTA4
Spell mistake

Ya buddy i accept that it got a core advantage but doesnt mean it outperform sandybridge in many case same goes for BD..lets suggest him the best rather than we arguing here dude for intel or amd.. :)

@op-Go with what i have suggested it's the best for your needs,don't go for i3,get i5 2400 which is greater-http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=363

thanks.
for processor, from all the reviews and benchmarks i saw over the net, i found i5-2400 to be better than any of amd's phenom xII for gaming.

Also, i had this query..
1) the specifications of the processor (i5-2400) say : Memory Type Supported: DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333
does this mean i shouldn't get a 1600 Mhz RAM for this processor ?
2) Also if the mobo specs say : Memory Frequency: 1066, 1333 MHz
here do they mean the RAM supported for this ?

thanks.

for processor, from all the reviews and benchmarks i saw over the net, i found i5-2400 to be better than any of amd's phenom xII for gaming.

Also, i had this query..

1) the specifications of the processor (i5-2400) say : Memory Type Supported: DDR3-1066, DDR3-1333

does this mean i shouldn't get a 1600 Mhz RAM for this processor ?

2) Also if the mobo specs say : Memory Frequency: 1066, 1333 MHz

here do they mean the RAM supported for this ?

Back