Windows Upload 700 GB data to onedrive (1 TB plan). Need suggestions.

Futureized

Skilled
Hello,
I have almost 700GB data to upload to onedrive scatter among 5500 files

Biggest file size being 12 GB to smallest 1KB.

It has personal photos/videos/movies/purchase games and software/notes/ etc.

Upload average speed is 1.5 to 2 MBPs

Kindly guide..

Your bottleneck is your upload speed. You could use filezilla or cyberduck or some other cloud storage manager to get bit more reliable uploads than web browser based.

Maybe someone you know/nearby has faster internet connection, try requesting them.

You could use filezilla or cyberduck or some other cloud storage manager to get bit more reliable uploads than web browser based.
Are these compatible/integrated with OneDrive (can give this a try).

Maybe someone you know/nearby has faster internet connection, try requesting them.
Trying for these as well. But since lot of data is personal/official I hesitate for same.

I will have to give access to both onedrive and my data to some *but person is trusted*

Are these compatible/integrated with OneDrive (can give this a try).

Trying for these as well. But since lot of data is personal/official I hesitate for same.

I will have to give access to both onedrive and my data to some *but person is trusted*
Personally, i have used cyberduck to upload some big files to my onedrive. Bit more reliable than uploading via browser (less random errors and timeouts)
Onedrive does have its own client app. Take a look at that too. Put all stuff in a folder/select the folders you want to be uploaded and let it sync over time. That should help reduce the micromanagement or stressing over failed uploads.
700GB with 2MBps(16mbps) will take over 4 days time(24x7 upload).

Personally, i have used cyberduck to upload some big files to my onedrive. Bit more reliable than uploading via browser (less random errors and timeouts)
Onedrive does have its own client app. Take a look at that too. Put all stuff in a folder/select the folders you want to be uploaded and let it sync over time. That should help reduce the micromanagement or stressing over failed uploads.
700GB with 2MBps(16mbps) will take over 4 days time(24x7 upload).
Thanks @deezcnuts.
Can you give more details about cyberduck.
I have uploaded around 80 GB data @2 MBPs to onedrive using the client app in last 19-20 hours.

My files/folders are scattered in 3 drives.. C, D and E
(First took a complete backup of same 1 TB external drive to avoid loosing any data mistakenly).

Installed onedrive client to C drive, moved all the 25 GB content in files/folders to onedrive icon on C drive,after upload unlinked my PC from onedrive..
Moved 25 GB content to its original place.

Installed onedrive client to D drive, did same as above and uploaded 55 GB content, selecting 25 GB and 30 GB in 2 sets.
Unlinked PC and did needful again.

I guess this is most safe/secure way to upload data...
I should be able to finish my uploads by next week max.

If any suggestions, please do mention.

Thanks again.

Thanks @deezcnuts.
I have uploaded around 80 GB data @2 MBPs to onedrive using the client app in last 19-20 hours.

(First took a complete backup of same 1 TB external drive to avoid loosing any data mistakenly).

Installed onedrive client to C drive, moved all the 25 GB content in files/folders to onedrive icon on C drive,after upload unlinked my PC from onedrive..

Installed onedrive client to D drive, did same as above and uploaded 55 GB content, selecting 25 GB and 30 GB in 2 sets.

Thanks again.
Cyberduck is way better than all this
Just add your onedrive account and upload folders . Its way faster than onedrive app

Thanks @deezcnuts.

Thanks again.
Cyberduck is very simple. Just log in to your ms/one drive account in the app and select what you want to upload and to which folder in one drive.
May I ask why are you installing onedrive app each time? I didn’t understand that.
At 2MBps you won’t get much benefit from switching apps, still limited by internet speed.

Also, keep in mind, unlike google drive(or any google service) which is peered by almost every isp, OneDrive isn’t peered that extensively by many isps. If I download stuff from my google drive, I can easily max out my 300mbps connection(30-35MBps), but don’t get even close to that with my onedrive downloads. Atleast that’s with my isp, not sure about others. Do keep that in mind, I keep my onedrive as warm-ish/cold storage.

Last edited:
May I ask why are you installing onedrive app each time? I didn’t understand that.
At 2MBps you won’t get much benefit from switching apps, still limited by internet speed.
Cyber duck is giving me same speeds like one drive client software so better uninstalled the same..
Upgraded my internet plan for a week, (my isp is a friend), now uploading at up to 3.2 MBPS
I agree Google drive is the fastest compared to onedrive (onedrive is not even a match with GDrive)

Google Drive plan.
200 GB - 2100 per year
2 TB - 6500 per year.

They do not have flexibility like onedrive to share plan between 5-6 family members. Else 2 TB plan is awesome.
On other hand onedrive this year costed me 690 INR for 11 months. (a fair deal)
Can adjust with slow speeds for movies/apps/games/personal photos,videos) at cost.

Installing onedrive app each time, will explain again:
I have 3 drives with lots of data on each drive.
C: 150GB
D: 250 GB
E: 400 GB apprx..

I select drive by drive uploads (in batch of 50GB each, which finish in 5 hours at new speeds)
IF I want to upload data of C:, I simply install OneDrive client in C:
Move entire upload data of C: to OneDrive client and let it complete uploading.
Once done, unlink the PC, this makes it easy that no files/folders are deleted or data is missed. (read about this kind of upload mechanism from onedrive help and Microsoft forums, sr. members suggested this).

I will move the uploaded data safely back to there original folders.
Same doing with other 2 drives.

I know/understand this is a wrong/pesky method, because in future If I am going to update anything to C: D: E: data, it will create issues in sync..

But without about same yet, making sure data is uploaded first.

Haven't checked download speeds on new upgraded INTERNET plan, will post later.

Hello,
I have almost 700GB data to upload to onedrive scatter among 5500 files

Biggest file size being 12 GB to smallest 1KB.

It has personal photos/videos/movies/purchase games and software/notes/ etc.

Upload average speed is 1.5 to 2 MBPs

Kindly guide..
Organize all the files you want to upload into folders, On windows , configure the onedrive manager to sync the desired folders , let the folders sync to one drive.
It will take time considering your upload speed , but it will complete within a week.Leave your PC ON if you can

Thanks Samir, I found an alternative option posted above:
Takes little manual effort, but data is intact on both places..
Just imagine you upload 300 GB stuff to onedrive and accidentally delete a copy from anywhere ?
It gets deleted on both ends.. unless you unlink the pc and re-check all required options after installing the onedrive client again.

Thanks Samir, I found an alternative option posted above:
Takes little manual effort, but data is intact on both places..
Just imagine you upload 300 GB stuff to onedrive and accidentally delete a copy from anywhere ?
It gets deleted on both ends.. unless you unlink the pc and re-check all required options after installing the onedrive client again.
The deleted files are still retained online for 30 days, so accidental deletion is not much of a problem. Years past, I used to use rclone with a GUI to mount the drive on both Linux and Windows. However, just letting it sync over time works for me as the speed isn't that bad.

The deleted files are still retained online for 30 days, so accidental deletion is not much of a problem. Years past, I used to use rclone with a GUI to mount the drive on both Linux and Windows. However, just letting it sync over time works for me as the speed isn't that bad.
I tried few different forks/tools which allows uploading to onedrive, did not find much difference in speeds.
How much did the OneDrive plan cost you?
IT is 690 per year with 1 TB data and free Office 365 for family.. more details here. https://techenclave.com/threads/sharing-ms-office-365-with-1tb-cloud-storage-₹500-year.188329/

Use rclone and its sync feature. It can also move deleted files to a seperate trash folder instead of deleting it.
You can also use duplicati or duplicacy to backup these files to cloud but the downside will be you won't be able to view them from onedrive you would have to use these pieces of softwares only.

Back