Monitors UPS for my dual monitor desktop

laugh

Disciple
I have a i7 930 based,6gb ram cpu +2 23" monitors , no speakers
Can you suggest me the specs of the ups I will need, I am not looking for huge backup, just enough time to shutdown.

Get an ups which can handle a little bit more than the total wattage consumed by your setup. 2 x 23" monitors would be around 120-140 watts by themselves. And a core i7 + graphics card and 1-2 hdd's i guess? So it might be a bit more that 330W. So get a 800VA or 1000VA ups instead of a 650VA.

pratikb said:
Even basic 640 model will be enough.

I purchased a 600 va 360 watts apc ups. I have not unpacked yet, thought will ask and confirm whether this will be the right solution.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

6pack said:
Get an ups which can handle a little bit more than the total wattage consumed by your setup. 2 x 23" monitors would be around 120-140 watts by themselves. And a core i7 + graphics card and 1-2 hdd's i guess? So it might be a bit more that 330W. So get a 800VA or 1000VA ups instead of a 650VA.

2 monitors,i7+graphic card+1 hdd+additional usb ports, dvd drive, 3g dongles. Is there a place where I can look at the wattage of commonly used monitors and peripherals?

laugh said:
I purchased a 600 va 360 watts apc ups. I have not unpacked yet, thought will ask and confirm whether this will be the right solution.

2 monitors,i7+graphic card+1 hdd+additional usb ports, dvd drive, 3g dongles. Is there a place where I can look at the wattage of commonly used monitors and peripherals?

APC 650VA is 330W. I have the same model ups.

You can find out wattage from the reviews on net or from manuals of the devices you own.

You haven't specified the specific make of monitors, processor and graphics card so the wattage might vary. Also you need to specify the make and wattage of the psu you're using currently.

Try this site to get a general idea of power requirements of your pc. Note that wattage of a pc monitor is not included in this wattage calculator. You will need to manually add the wattage of the two monitors to this total.

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

aryanraj said:
I am sure it will be great but do I really need it considering I don't need long backup times.

6pack said:
APC 650VA is 330W. I have the same model ups.

You can find out wattage from the reviews on net or from manuals of the devices you own.

You haven't specified the specific make of monitors, processor and graphics card so the wattage might vary. Also you need to specify the make and wattage of the psu you're using currently.

Try this site to get a general idea of power requirements of your pc. Note that wattage of a pc monitor is not included in this wattage calculator. You will need to manually add the wattage of the two monitors to this total.

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

speck.png

Speccy screenshot

Power supply is zebronics platinum Zeb500w

Zebronics - Power Supply - Platinum Series- 500 W

Thanks a lot.

I am considering the wattage requirements of the Samsung P2370MS monitor in the result since you haven't mentioned your monitor model.

2 x P2370MS monitors = 50x2= 100w

Core i7 930@2.8Ghz = 130W (max) actual might be around 95W

GeForce 9400GT 1024MB = 16W (typical)

add to this 1 Hdd + 3 Odd + 1 USB devices.

Total = 345W

And psu overhead would be around 10-15% so it would be around 400W load. So you should have got a 850VA ups.

6pack said:
I am considering the wattage requirements of the Samsung P2370MS monitor in the result since you haven't mentioned your monitor model.

2 x P2370MS monitors = 50x2= 100w

Core i7 930@2.8Ghz = 130W (max) actual might be around 95W

GeForce 9400GT 1024MB = 16W (typical)

add to this 1 Hdd + 3 Odd + 1 USB devices.

Total = 345W

And psu overhead would be around 10-15% so it would be around 400W load. So you should have got a 850VA ups.

You are right about the monitor model!!

Few more questions.

1. If I need an hours backup which UPS should I go with.

2. Should I go for sinewave?

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

laugh said:
You are right about the monitor model!!

Few more questions.

1. If I need an hours backup which UPS should I go with.

2. Should I go for sinewave?

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Are you looking to buy a computer UPS or an inverter marketed as home ups? Cause all or most computer ups's output pure sinewave. Some of the home inverters output squarewave or approximated sinewave.

For a 1 hr backup, you will need to buy a ups with an external battery of around 135AH.

6pack said:
Are you looking to buy a computer UPS or an inverter marketed as home ups? Cause all or most computer ups's output pure sinewave. Some of the home inverters output squarewave or approximated sinewave.

For a 1 hr backup, you will need to buy a ups with an external battery of around 135AH.

I am looking to buy a computer UPS. I was in the market for office backup (3 to 4 computers, tubes and fans) and heard the term sinewave.

Generally speaking, whats the life time of a UPS? When I was in the market for office backup I thought having minimum UPS for PC's and a generator backup will be better when compared to a high capacity UPS. Though the running cost of generators is high I believe they have a much longer life and the initial cost of a generator setup is lower.

laugh said:
I am looking to buy a computer UPS. I was in the market for office backup (3 to 4 computers, tubes and fans) and heard the term sinewave.

Generally speaking, whats the life time of a UPS? When I was in the market for office backup I thought having minimum UPS for PC's and a generator backup will be better when compared to a high capacity UPS. Though the running cost of generators is high I believe they have a much longer life and the initial cost of a generator setup is lower.

life time of ups depends on the quality of the components. my ups is around 4 yrs old and i've only changed the battery once till now. some others have different results with their ups failing every month or so due to some reason.

i really do not know what type of backup requirement you want. If its for 3-4 hrs in a day for 3-4 computers and the fan & lighting system (not considering the ac) you will need to get one of those smart backup systems from apc which are better suited for long backup times. These cost upwards of 11k for 1000VA ups only. the battery cost would be around 12.5k for 135Ah flat plate and even more for a tubular one i think.

By generator do you mean the one which runs on diesel or is it something else?

The screenshot was taken using speccy Speccy - System Information - Free Download ( created by the great guys behind ccleaner)

6pack said:
life time of ups depends on the quality of the components. my ups is around 4 yrs old and i've only changed the battery once till now. some others have different results with their ups failing every month or so due to some reason.

i really do not know what type of backup requirement you want. If its for 3-4 hrs in a day for 3-4 computers and the fan & lighting system (not considering the ac) you will need to get one of those smart backup systems from apc which are better suited for long backup times. These cost upwards of 11k for 1000VA ups only. the battery cost would be around 12.5k for 135Ah flat plate and even more for a tubular one i think.

By generator do you mean the one which runs on diesel or is it something else?

I believe if I go with APC I will have good experiences like you! What was the battery cost?

I will need an hour's backup whenever there is a powershutdown. (Once in a week)

By generator yes I mean the ones that run on diesel.

Thanks again.

A smart ups is the better option for you. its clean power and you only need an hours backup a week. plus you only have to invest in price of ups+battery which would be around 25-30k.

If you get a diesel generator, it wont switch on automatically if power goes out. you will have to buy a ups for the comps so that you dont loose your work in case of power outage.

thats a double cost right there. Not to mention, additional cost of preventive maintenance, oil, fuel and to top it the jarring noise in the background.

cost of the 650va ups battery is around 800 bucks i think.

6pack said:
A smart ups is the better option for you. its clean power and you only need an hours backup a week. plus you only have to invest in price of ups+battery which would be around 25-30k.

If you get a diesel generator, it wont switch on automatically if power goes out. you will have to buy a ups for the comps so that you dont loose your work in case of power outage.

thats a double cost right there. Not to mention, additional cost of preventive maintenance, oil, fuel and to top it the jarring noise in the background.

cost of the 650va ups battery is around 800 bucks i think.

What exactly can I get for 25-30k. (what UPS and battery, specs and more)

If I get a diesel generator I can get a low config UPS or atleast something minus the battery. I am pretty sure that diesel generators last for many many years. I see big organisations using diesel generators all the time of UPS. Probably we should atleast have a good look at the feasibilty of a generator setup for home and small offices.

There are silent generators by honda but I think they are quite pricey.

Back