UPS or Generator

TonyBosco

Disciple
Hi all

I have 30min backup ups for one single computer.
Now I am planning for more backup, atleast 6 hrs.

for more backup, Shall I buy new UPS which can give atleast 6hrs backup
or buy a generator and connect the 45min back ups to it when there is powercut

Kindly suggest which is best.

Thanks

Well, UPS and Generator are completely different, you should not compare between apple and oranges. UPS and Generator has its own pros and cons.

UPS will provide back up if there is a shut down with no human attention, where as for a generator you may have to start it when the power goes off. Secondly the generator sound, constant maintenance must be considered.
Secondly you may have to consider the cost factor. UPS costs less compared to a generator. Not only that, the present UPS that you have may not even support generator back up.

Final thoughts, if you have the money and the courage to tolerate the generator sound go for generator as it has longer life than a UPS.
If you are looking a cost effective way of back up go for UPS. The decision is yours ;)

you can buy 2 laptops for the cost of the ups batteries alone for 6 hours backup. generators are noisy and polluting. plus cost of diesel is soaring.
you could spend around 40-45k on an inverter with two 150AH tubular batteries and get around 5 hours backup easily too, if your comp is not used to play games or doing some 3d rendering stuff.

Most cost effective way would be to get a laptop and extra batteries if you want 6+ hours backup. it will be cheaper.

^40-45k inverter with 2 tubular betteries will give back up more than 10 hrs, my P4 PC gives ~3hr backup (gaming included, though no dGPU) on a 600va inverter with single bettery.

@OP: Inverter is the best choice. Quite. & reliable.

The battery backup depends on load. if he loads the inverter too much, like above 50% the backup time even for 2x150AH batteries will fall down by 30+ percent. Doing that continuously every day will kill the batteries fast.

Back