PC Peripherals UPS suggestion needed, Is Microtek 800 VA/1KVA good ?

hunt3r

Skilled
Hey guys,

Ive searched for and read through numerous earlier threads but couldnt find an answer to my question. Im in need of a UPS for my rig, its the same in my sig. Basically just need surge protection and some amount of backup so that i can save my work and shut off the system safely, i guess 10 min backup is fine.

Would 800VA be sufficient? Microtek 800VA/1KVA is 2.5k/3.3k and APC 800VA/1KVA is 5.3k/6.3k according to deltapage. Though theres also a APC 1100 VA listed for 4.9k :S

So is microtek good enough? As i said just need some surge protection and minimum backup time. The price difference is quite big so if microtek is good enough i would of course prefer to go for that. And if i want to increase the backup time by adding an extra battery which ups will let me do that and how much will it cost?

Also theres a HP 800VA UPS available for 3k, any idea how that is?

I know ive asked a lot of questions :p But please do help me out here, Thanks :)

well i can tell u about the HP800 it doesn't switch fast inuff to backup my xbox shows error,so does the router when i was sharing files with live mesh around 3gb ,at around the end of the transfer the power went or had fluctuation,and i had to start all over again.thanks to bescom and hp:mad:
apc on the other hand is realy fast at switching no issues.

The way you describe your needs; just enough backup to save and surge protection; I believe Microtek would be fine. But if you can afford it, APC is obviously highly recommended. :) Have a 1KVa APC and it' working like a charm.

@ adder, ahh damn i was hoping it would be decent, seemed a better buy than microtek, thanks for the info :)

@ajish, yea exactly thats what i was thinking, for those needs microtek would be ok. But wanted more opinions before deciding

Still confused tho, this is gonna be a long term purchase so im considering APC too.

Probably gonna buy tomorrow so hope for a lot more opinions before then. Coming back to the original question, is 800VA enough or should i go for 1 KVA as the price diff is not much. And about adding an extra battery?

see microtek is inferior to apc. but then for your needs it makes no point spending more for apc...

but you sure wont get 10mins, if under full load, should be fine at idle.

thoh, im sure this is rare, but my apc battery has crapped out on me. backup time dropped from 20 mins to 4. apc official gonna come n check it out.(on site warranty is so much better, worth maybe 1k more, but not 3k...)

Don't go for Microtek 800VA Double Battery model.
I had faced serious issues with it and finally Mirotek returned me the entire amount and then i got this APC 650VA which give my comp ~25 minutes backup and has everything including auto shutoff and power on.

APC is very dependable unlike Microtek.

Moreover, it costs just 3.1k. The HP one is also good and costs 2.6k.
Go for APC 650VA. Its the best value UPS...:p

If it's long term then that means you have to think of the fact that sooner or later you're gonna wanna upgrade and whatever you're gonna buy at that time is gonna need some serious backup/protection; hence I'd suggest APC. Invest in a good UPS now and save yourself some heartache later. :)

^^Yep that is a good idea, was thinking of that too but dont want to spend prohibitively as well.

Well im still confused as hell but thinking of APC 800VA. But keep the posts flowing, will check again just before leaving for SP road (around noon). Thanks!

Me n my frnds 800va Mtek double battery bought some 3 yrs back is still managing to do their duties reasonably....it still somehow manages to allow me to burn a dvd(10 mins) if i switch of my ccfls n monitor...i'm quite pleased with it.

But, recent MTEK 800/600VA models seemingly havent fared so well....have come across numerous complaint of malfunction and poor ass.

mithun said:
But, recent MTEK 800/600VA models seemingly havent fared so well....have come across numerous complaint of malfunction and poor ass.

Yeah that seems to be true. I too had a Microtek 650Va before this. It was pretty decent for the config I had then. But when I upgraded to the i7, everyone recommended APC. Even I was confused upto the moment of actually buying the UPS. Cost was the main factor involved (a Microtek 1KVa was around 3-4K and the APC one was 6K). But in the end I decided to go for the APC for the peace of mind.

I was even considering Powercomm for about two minutes before I did a bit of research. :D

Anyway, long story short APC will take care of both your short term and long term needs and is also more dependable/reliable. :)

Please do not go for the HP 800 VA....i own it...and everytime the power goes...the PC just switches off for a second and restarts....its very poor...in switching.....:no:

I complained and got it replaced...but still the same issue with the new UPS of the same model....dont go for it....:mad:

now i finally got a luminous inverter with ups functionality..so no problems...:hap2:....still using the HP UPS for protection from power surges....

I bought some local brand initially with my old computer, and by god it never served its purpose, everytime the power went off the comp would restart, but when I truned the main switch off the UPS would kick in backup just fine, I got 2 units replaced, and finally gave up and bought a APC 500VA, couldnt be happier.

Then I needed one that could autoshut down so went for the 650VA, again pretty satisifed, but for some reason the backup has dropped to a min, probably cause I connected my router/modem to it, but it shuts down fine, so I am happy!

Bottom line dont compromise on components that protect ur computer, go for APC, trust me you wont regret it.

Jasku said:
Then I needed one that could autoshut down so went for the 650VA, again pretty satisifed, but for some reason the backup has dropped to a min, probably cause I connected my router/modem to it, but it shuts down fine, so I am happy!

Bottom line dont compromise on components that protect ur computer, go for APC, trust me you wont regret it.

Regarding getting a minute backup from the UPS, its not the devices which are more but the APC Powerchute Software which is faulty.

U must be using Vista if i am not wrong. :cool2:
Mail me with a screenshot of backup time in Powerchute and i'll mail u the solution for it. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :) Will decide between the APC 800VA/1KVA once i get the local prices. If there isnt much diff will go for 1 KVA

I am struggling with finding a new UPS for myself.

I've been an APC Back-UPS series user for he last 5 years. My old 500VA unit crapped out about 6 months ago. To replace it, I got myself a 650VA unit, but unfortunately, this unit doesn't work on my Non-Sine Wave inverter. Not only does it not accept the input power when my inverter takes over after the main power is gone, but it also abruptly turns off, thereby shutting power to all the devices connected to it. Problem is, my inverter is connected to every outlet in the house and I can't do anything.

The 800VA and 1KVA model that you are talking about... is it the RS series?

Also what is the difference between the RS series and the Smart-UPS series. The Smart-UPS 750VA is priced at about 8.2k at Lynx.

What you can you guys suggest. I have two major requisites
1) The UPS must be able to function on a Non-Sine Wave inverter line
2) I need the USB connectivity in order for the Auto-Shutwon feature.

Back