URGENT HELP--Upgrading motherboard+CPU

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Hi!
My existing cpu+motherboard needs to be changed as its age is showing.
I am looking to upgrade to any ddr2 based AM3 platform as I have 2x2=4gb DDR2 800Mhz patriot ram and am on a tight budget.
my requirements:
[1] I need a quad core.I am looking for a cheap solution X4-635/X2 555BE
[2]If i opt for the X2 555, what would be the best DDR2 based motherboard to unlock the 2 extra cores?
[3]The motherboard should have atleast 6 SATA ports to accomodate my 4 hdds and 1 dvd writer.

The existing hardware I will use:
[1]My coolermaster extreme 600w psu--will this be sufficient for the system-i will NOT overclock anything? I dont need lectures on how bad this psu is. the psu upgrade will happen later.
[2]My 3 yr old 8800gt 512mb
[3]4 sata hdds+ sata dvd writer
[4]2x2=4gb DDR2 800Mhz patriot ram
[5]Coolermaster TX 3 cpu heatsink

My budget is 7000rs-8000rs at the max.
Kindly post your suggestions as soon as possible as i need the system pronto.

Biostar TA790GXBE/Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H + Phenom XII 555 BE ~9.3k

The Biostar motherboard has 6 SATA ports while the gigabyte one has 5, and I bought this combo a month back (with biostar mobo) and was able to successfully unlock 4 cores :)

Your PSU can handle it, but its strongly advisable to upgrade to something better like CX400/VX450/Seasonic 380W

Motherboard: Biostar TA785GE ~ 3.7k (6 SATA ports)

AthlonII X4 635 ~ 5k (if u need quad then dont take a chance with unlocking 555BE as there is a ~20-25% chance that u may end up with a dual core only)

as of now hes basically looking for any mobo (cheapest TBH) thats a 100% unlock for the 555BE and meets his above requirements.

If you want a quad then better get a X4 635. Don't take any chances by getting a X2 555BE, if the unlock fails u'll be stuck with a dual/tri-core cpu.

OP--

If you are looking to use multi-threaded applications etc. then go for Athlon X4 635, if gaming is your primary concern then I suggest Phenom X2 555BE over it

The pc will be running:

Helix Linux

Red hat enterprise Linux

Various statistical software

Audio/video encoding

Vmware

Image Editing tools--such as photoshop/etc

Gaming obviously

windows 7 32bit and general 1080p videos/music/office 2007,etc

I would like a good stable motherboard which guarantees a higher percentage of chances when it comes to unlocking the cores in a 555BE. Is there any specific stepping/revision i should be looking at when I buy the 555BE.

@Soulfire - managed to come online on laptop---broadband modem blew up in the lightning strike they had to replace it.

Back