iOS URGENT: Ipad mini wifi lost :(

imkaush

Adept
Very sad to say my brother has lost our five months old iPad mini wifi 16gb while coming home from work in a cab.
He had in the cab and was the last one to leave the cab.
He remembered as soon as entered home and called the cab back and we checked it thoroughly but it wasn't there.
Have marked the ipad in Lost Mode via Find My Ipad app.
But sadly it will only work if its connected to the internet.
One more problem is that it was passcode protected, so I am not sure how will the guy enable wifi without unlocking the screen?
I am thinking of lodging a police complaint tomorrow morning.

Any help is highly appreciated...

Update: just learned from the internet that control center can be accessed from the lock screen too...

Bump for any help...

as it has iOS7 it will be useless for thieves as when they restore ipsw the password can't be bypassed. hope some good samaritan finds it and returns to you. do you have your name and ph. no. on that drive? also contact your city's apple authorized store and notify about this ipad with serial no. so they can help if someone comes for any problem.

as it has iOS7 it will be useless for thieves as when they restore ipsw the password can't be bypassed. hope some good samaritan finds it and returns to you. do you have your name and ph. no. on that drive? also contact your city's apple authorized store and notify about this ipad with serial no. so they can help if someone comes for any problem.
Hoping for the same bro.
Have mentioned my number along with the lock mode message.
Will go to an apple authorized store with the details. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Have u remote locked it via icloud
Yes I have initiated the Lock Mode action but its pending since the iPad is not yet connected to the internet after it was lost.

Unbelievable news!!!

Today morning, got a call from a guy living in a building opposite to mine saying he has my iPad and I collected it from him just now!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

He had managed to unlock the iPad and wipe out the data which I thought was not possible... :dead:

Turned out he is a close relative of a family living in my building...:D

He seemed to be a well-to-do guy, owned a 5s gold, iPad4...so was just going to sell my iPad and donate the returns to the local mosque :angelic:

I gave him sweets for his help and some money to donate in the mosque....:)

Thanks for your help guys!!

How did he manage to unlock ? Or was it because the iPad was never connected to internet it was possible to unlock it since the remote unlock would have worked only after internet was available.
Also how he knew it was your iPad ?

yes, I'm also wondering the same.. how did he knew it was your ipad. did it asked for your account email and password?

How did he manage to unlock ? Or was it because the iPad was never connected to internet it was possible to unlock it since the remote unlock would have worked only after internet was available.
Also how he knew it was your iPad ?
yes, I'm also wondering the same.. how did he knew it was your ipad. did it asked for your account email and password?
The iPad already had a 4-digit passcode lock, but he managed to unlock it, dunno how....
The iPad still shows offline on Find My iPad so he obviously did not connect to the internet, so I think the LOST MODE message(containing my number) would not have been displayed.
There was only one contact number in my iPad, mine... so I think he had noted down my number after unlocking and before wiping the data and called me before selling it.

I didn't ask him all the details as I was very happy that I got it back.

Update:
Just connected the iPad to PC to restore from backup....and my LOST message was displayed along with my number.

So probably thats how he got my number and called me....still not sure if he had unlocked it or somehow just wiped the data...

Unbelievable news!!!
He seemed to be a well-to-do guy, owned a 5s gold, iPad4...so was just going to sell my iPad and donate the returns to the local mosque :angelic:
Going to sell and donate money to mosque instead of submitting it to local Police or directly calling you. Nice Robinhood type guy or change of mind ;)

Lol guys :D
When I went to the police to report loss and they were like you will never get it, people losing 5-6k worth mobiles/tabs never get it, yours is too expensive.

About the guy, he told me his brother found it outside my building and gave it to him instead of handing it over to the police.
Cause he knew the police would never return it.
Don't know he is a Robinhood or not but my guess is he wiped out the data but the lost message was displayed in itines when he connected it to pc and asked for my apple id and password, so he may have run out of options and decided to return....

Anyways this is just my guess...

Back