Laptops URGENT !! Laptop showing blank screen on start up

Hi all,

I put my laptop to hibernate at night, next day I tried starting it up ... NO DISPLAY at all... I tried googling and lots of people have suggested this formula of "take off power plug and battery and then hold the button for 60 sec" - this formula is not working with me... I tried power on + D - getting colors, display is working. ... the laptop repair guy without opening the laptop said this may be a problem with graphics card... I have ATI Mobility HD Raedon 5470 in my laptop. Is this is a dedicated graphics card? Will removing the card will help my laptop to resume its display?

The service guy said I need to replace my mobo which might cost around 15-18k... I may very well buy a new one instead, which I do not want to do.. I came back from the service center as I am in a different city now. I shall go to my place and decide about giving it to service center... Help needed...

My laptop model is Dell Studio 1558 with i5 processor , 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD... worst case if I have to replace my motherboard, can I have a lower config processor+mobo installed into it? may be a second hand? Suggestions are needed

Last edited:
Are you not even able to see initial BIOS/POST screen/messages before OS loading? Can you try plugging in USB linux live OS to see if it boots off that?

I am highly wary/suspicious of service guys telling mobo needs replacement - did they or anyone do any tests to search for root cause? Like maybe just HDD is failed or RAM chip(s) and so on...

No POST. ... I will try connecting to am external monotor... linux live os i have not worked on it. I shall try

So far that guy didnt do such tests. However i shall ensure he does

Last edited by a moderator:
Given it in another center. They immediately connected via vga to second monitor. After couple of crashes windows loaded properly in the second monitor. Keeping the fingers crossed for updates from them

Service centre guys these days are white collar looters. They directly bump to the $$$ factor once they find you noob or kid or simple impatient and anxious.

Thankfully the center i gave was not cheating type.. they told an ic for display is gone.. one more spare they told which i didn't understand.. 2500 plus service charge 500. I have not yet got the laptop but This is what He told me....Over phone[DOUBLEPOST=1448091079][/DOUBLEPOST]hmm... finally the culprit is LCD Display Screen Laptop FL Inverter board which in ebay costs 850/- ... and they have charged additional for some BGA work... They have charged me 3k which is quite an amount. however at least I am happy they didn't go for the mobo change

Last edited:
Back