[Urgent] Laptop + Wifi N, 20k-30k

arun687

Skilled
Laptop + Wifi N Router, 25k-32k

Hey guys,

[Post updated]

Looking for a basic laptop around 25-32k. I'm looking for a VFM device that works and suits my requirements.

Requirements (Must have)

1080p movie playback through HDMI
Core i3
Good build quality and reliability
Good for general use like web browsing, youtube, programming, multitasking etc., no games
15.6" Screen
A good keyboard and trackpad

Requirements (Preferred)

4hr battery backup on wifi and normal usage
Intel HD graphics
As thin and light as I can get within budget and not compromising 'must haves' above
Wifi N
Bluetooth

As per my research, shortlisted a few models but I'm very confused. My previous list is enclosed in spoiler tags, ignore it, this is my new list for my revised requiements. I thought it's better to go for a i3 laptop with 15.6" screen for good usability, as programming is one of the important aspects. When I tried out 13" and 14" laptops, they seemed a little smaller.

1 - Msi X340 - 20k

+Cheapest, lightest, thinnest
-Bad keyboard, dubious build, bad battery backup, performance

2 - Samsung R528 - 24.5k

+Cheapest 'proper' laptop, looks VFM
-No bluetooth, 15.6" screen

3 - Acer 4736Z - 26.4k

+Tried and tested model, VFM
-Slightly older model compared to its siblings, no wireless N

4 - Acer 4741Z - 28k

This is a newer model with new P6000, please can someone share how this compares with C2d, i3 and Dual cores?

+Intel HD graphics (better among the lot)
-No Wireless N

5 - MSI CR400 - 28k

+Thin and light
-No bluetooth, no HDMI

6 - Acer 4745 - 32.5k

+Has all I want, quite thin compared to most, i3 goodness
-Pricey and beyond my budget

Want to know what's with the heating problem that was reported in TE for this series of Acer models. I don't want Acer technician coming to my place and asking for COLGATE to be applied as Thermal Paste, if you know what I mean. :ashamed:

7 - Dell Inspiron 14Z - 33.4k

+Amazing design like X340, Seems good build since from Dell, Good claimed battery life, thin and light
-SU4100 proccy performance, price above budget

1 - MSI CR620 - 28-30k

+Looks good and seems well build, lighter, 2 yr warranty, looks VFM from all aspects
-Didn't find any

2 - Acer 5742 - 30-31k

+500GB HDD
-Acer's suspicious build

3 - Dell Inspiron 15R - 32-34k

+It's a dell
-Pricey and beyond my budget

These are the models I'm looking for, specs are similar among these. I want your thoughts on these, I'm looking for the best compromise on price, reliability and performance. I'm really impressed with the MSI laptop and I think they offer VFM laptops across the range.

The purchase is delayed for 2-3 weeks as just bought a TV, but I'm looking to zero in on the model soon.

Also, please suggest a good cheap Wireless N router, this will be plugged in straight to the Adsl router from MTNL. Saw Asus RT-N10 router around 1.7k, are these good?

Thanks.

^
Thanks, it does look good but when I went to the store and tried out all the models, I found the 13" and 14" ones a little smaller and hence I've decided to compromise portability for usability and go for a 15.6" screen with core i3, increased the budget a little (updated first post with revised requirements). What would be the best one for an entry level i3 system?

^^
Exactly my thoughts, I really don't want that ATI GPU and add more weight and heat to the lappy when I'm not going to game on it, on the other hand I heard really good things about intel HD as far as video playback and such things are concerned. If only there was an Inspiron 15R with Intel HD and no Windows 7, that would have been perfect for me and come right at the top level of my budget.

MSI CR620 seems to be a good bet for now, although it's only available in Staples here in my area for 30k and not in any other store, not even in ebay.

^^why dont you try lamington road? contact sunny27 for more info on msi laptops availability as he has good contacts with msi india.

Thanks a lot for all of you guys for suggesstions. Finally got the MSI CR620 today for 28.5k, i3 330M, 2GB, 320GB, 2 yr warranty and 10 accessories pack free, fair deal I believe.

Now please suggest me a good router, I'm looking for an entry level Wireless N router, should I spend a bit more and go for the Asus RT-N13U, is it worth it?

^
Thanks mate :)

Well used the lappy quite some time and loving it, it's very resposive while multitasking and does everything for me apart from games, so no problems there. Plays 1080p and outputs it straight to HDTV via HDMI, no problems. Plays 720p youtube vids too, although 1080p suffers a little in youtube.

After some reading up on networking, finally purchased the Asus N13u wireless router as well from ebay, awaiting delivery, hope it gives enough range in my home.

^^Thats very good performance for a laptop at that price:) You will get enough range unless your bungalow is more than three floors:p

Back