Storage Solutions (urgent) need help regarding HDD purchase

PH0ENiX

Skilled
hi guys,HDD prices in india are ridiculous.
i was thinking of getting a 2tb hdd from u.s
now i can ither buy a new hdd from u.s from HGST without warranty or stick with a refurbsied Crapseagate 2tb hdd with 1 year seller warranty.

Currently i am using a 2012 intel 520 series ssd 240gb and a 2013 seagate 1tb hdd,both of which have not failed be so far.

Its cheaper on Amazon if you have Prime. There's a 15% cash back (Rs450 max) if you use Amazon Pay. Lowest price on Amazon for WD Blue 2TB is 5649 including delivery. Using Amazon Pay you will get it for Rs 5199.

I'm too in a similar situation.. Looking for a 2TB or more capacity drive.. Let me know in case you find any good deal..
The problem with WD blue is that the higher capacity ones are 5400RPM only.. I need a 7200RPM one for faster loading times in games..

I'm too in a similar situation.. Looking for a 2TB or more capacity drive.. Let me know in case you find any good deal..
The problem with WD blue is that the higher capacity ones are 5400RPM only.. I need a 7200RPM one for faster loading times in games..

first of all how did u assumed that the 5400 rpm hdd is slower than 7200rpm .........

read/write speeds of a hard drive does not only depends upon the "rpm of the platter" it also depends upon the desity of the platter.

a higher density platter running at slower speed can still be faster than a drive running at higher rpm.

for ex ----> take 1 tb wd black and 1 tb wd blue both are 7200rpm but the blue has higher density platter so it has faster read and write speeds than black .... u can check on YouTube and gamersnexus.com if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
first of all how did u assumed that the 5400 rpm hdd is slower than 7200rpm .........

read/write speeds of a hard drive does not only depends upon the "rpm of the platter" it also depends upon the desity of the platter.

a higher density platter running at slower speed can still be faster than a drive running at higher rpm.

for ex ----> take 1 tb wd black and 1 tb wd blue both are 7200rpm but the blue has higher density platter so it has faster read and write speeds than black .... u can check on YouTube and gamersnexus.com if you don't believe me.

Hmm.. ok.. I haven't done much research on the same.. My theory was based on one personal experience..
One of my friend got a WD purple 1TB drive recently, and it being a 5400RPM drive, the boot times and game load times were longer than the seagate 1TB 7200RPM drive which I'm using.. Hence I assumed that the RPM makes a difference..

Then is it that the premium WD charge for the black drives are only for the extra warranty duration?

Hmm.. ok.. I haven't done much research on the same.. My theory was based on one personal experience..
One of my friend got a WD purple 1TB drive recently, and it being a 5400RPM drive, the boot times and game load times were longer than the seagate 1TB 7200RPM drive which I'm using.. Hence I assumed that the RPM makes a difference..

Then is it that the premium WD charge for the black drives are only for the extra warranty duration?

yes extra warranty, but also it has more shock resistance and less vibration because they use extra padding for black but i still doubt it unless i see someone opening up and checking internals of the hard drive .... hence, the failure rate decreases.

red is used for nas so u can use 4-6 reds together but u can't use blues as they have more vibration and are not meant to keep 4-6 together so they will not even last 2 years in that condition.

Few years back when I was looking for good hard drives, I chose WD Red. Apparently they were with maximum warranty (3 years) versus greens and blues of 2 years warranty and still affordable. 2TB Black was beyond 8-9k those days. 2TB Green used to cost 5.5k and Red around 7-7.5k. I used it for 3-3.5 years before selling last monsoon. It served me very well unlike Green which died with 500gigs of data. Another assumption I made was, since they are NAS drives, they must have better QA and Endurance then Green ones.

Few years back when I was looking for good hard drives, I chose WD Red. Apparently they were with maximum warranty (3 years) versus greens and blues of 2 years warranty and still affordable. 2TB Black was beyond 8-9k those days. 2TB Green used to cost 5.5k and Red around 7-7.5k. I used it for 3-3.5 years before selling last monsoon. It served me very well unlike Green which died with 500gigs of data. Another assumption I made was, since they are NAS drives, they must have better QA and Endurance then Green ones.

yeah, greens were popular for thier failure rate because of their variable rpm 5400-6300 (i think so) ......... that's why wd discontinued it and no longer produces it.

Try to get cash back as balance in your account. May not happen, try at least.

I bought a Seagate 2TB couple of weeks back, offline. Almost bought a WD Red when I read that they have a higher failure rate, as per the Backblaze stats.

Trying to stay away from seagate in general. And theres quite a difference between barracuda and wd red no?

rpm doesn't matter one iota for a storage drive.

if i was looking at that price segment i might get something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back