Usb/bt speaker for zoom/ teams calls

greenhorn

Patron
My doctor has advised me to reduce headphone usage, and job involves talking in conference calls all day. I had a Jabra evolve 75 which i bought for 35usd in the US before COVID which was perfect. But now I'm looking for a speaker with mic, and all the branded ones are well North of 10k one. The blaupunkt bt03 looks interesting but at that price it is a bit suspicious. Any other suggestions from personal experience?

Jabra speak 410 or 510. These use to retail around 7-9k before covid days and now they have doubled.

If you have some one coming down from the states. Get it on Amazon US around $100.

off-topic: IF you conformable sharing, what issues/symptoms you were facing.. asking as im in call every day for really extended period of time. I might start take precaution.
I will give my condition. I have tinnitus due to excessive usage of in ear headphones. I get pain in left year if I take too many calls. I switched to full size headphones dn on ear headset for music and calls respectively and I reduced my music listening a lot.

In office, same discussions happen at a table or desk. In covid situation, we end up with 's most of the time.

For kids online classes, I am using echo dot 4 as speaker and webcam mic for microphone.

off-topic: IF you conformable sharing, what issues/symptoms you were facing.. asking as im in call every day for really extended period of time. I might start take precaution.
I am already at a high level of antibiotic resistance due to frequent throat infections. Recently got an ear infection which was so bad i had to be admitted for 2 weeks for treatment. My ent doc said headphone usage is one of the factors that increase the risk of these infections

I am already at a high level of antibiotic resistance due to frequent throat infections. Recently got an ear infection which was so bad i had to be admitted for 2 weeks for treatment. My ent doc said headphone usage is one of the factors that increase the risk of these infections
Due to this I went for an high end mic and headphone and from that time I am not suffering from the ear pain and quality. I almost have is headphone for 15 to 16 hrs now a days :p only at sleeping time, they are off ;)

I am using a high end mic and headphone. The Jabra evolve 75 is an on ear model and sells for 30k in India ! The doctor said headphone/ earphone doesn't matter, it's all risky

I am using a high end mic and headphone. The Jabra evolve 75 is an on ear model and sells for 30k in India ! The doctor said headphone/ earphone doesn't matter, it's all risky
It would seem that a ear infection is caused by not being able to sanitise the ear cushions or if there is someway to put some sort of replaceable covers on them you could replace.

Earphones covering the ears for extended periods of time means no ventilation. so you sweat and that is a good environment for bugs to grow. The evolve 75 are on ear so i'd have thought relatively more ventilation than if they were cans. Still not good enough it seems.

No earphones solves the problem in one fell swoop
Jabra speak 410 or 510. These use to retail around 7-9k before covid days and now they have doubled.

If you have some one coming down from the states. Get it on Amazon US around $100.
Reviews are 70% positive which is good but i was put off by this one review

How do you find it ?

Last edited:
Guys I am using samsung level U full day for taking calls. I selected this because they are NOT in ear canal and support multi point which helps me since I connect to my iPad simultaneously to watch tv shows on slow days.

I want to make sure I take all precautions.

full size cans, closed back if worried about leakage, are better not that they are going to save you but comparatively better, if you can always use speakerphone like the jabra suggested above. At least share the call between various modes.

It would seem that a ear infection is caused by not being able to sanitise the ear cushions or if there is someway to put some sort of replaceable covers on them you could replace.

Earphones covering the ears for extended periods of time means no ventilation. so you sweat and that is a good environment for bugs to grow. The evolve 75 are on ear so i'd have thought relatively more ventilation than if they were cans. Still not good enough it seems.

No earphones solves the problem in one fell swoop

Reviews are 70% positive which is good but i was put off by this one review

How do you find it ?

I had the wired one for about 7-8months (2017-18)with my previous employer. They are great for teams calls. Only gripe was background noise while using Teams and not very loud (slightly better that laptop speakers).

With MS bringing AI based noise cancellation last year, this speaker should perform better.

Does anyone here have any experience with wearable neck/shoulder speakers like JBL soundgear or Sony srs nb10
I was going to recommend a solution on the lines of Bose Soundwear Companion. When I used it, the audio felt like coming off a small speaker on my shoulders and it lacked the clarity of over-the-ear headphones. In your context, such a speaker is a good solution over the Jabra 510 however I have no idea how good it is for conversations. My experience has only been for media consumption, which was decent but definitely felt something I will give to an elder in my house who will find it useful to listen to the dialogues clearly instead of paying attention to the sound coming off a speaker far away.

Last edited:
I was going to recommend a solution on the lines of Bose Soundwear Companion. I liked the concept and when I used it, the audio felt like having a small speaker on the shoulders. I missed the clarity of over the ear headphones. I feel this is a much better solution than the Jabra 510 I am not sure how good it is for conversations. From a media consumption perspective, I felt it was decent but definitely overpriced even though it was of Bose.
Not used it personally but a similar solution is this new Sony launch -
Its cheaper at HPZ.
Others nearby will hear everything, isn't it ?

I had the wired one for about 7-8months (2017-18)with my previous employer. They are great for teams calls. Only gripe was background noise while using Teams and not very loud (slightly better that laptop speakers).
This is the ambigious bit. Some reviews saying omni picks up all manner of noise and there is no noise cancellation

With MS bringing AI based noise cancellation last year, this speaker should perform better.
And then you have this one

Likely using some noise cancellation but does not specify which. The only clue is the review is from this year so maybe what you said.

This means it won't be there if using only a phone and only via a windows laptop

^Noise cancellation from Microsoft Teams is stellar.

I live in a super-quiet society with occasional HAL Tejas fighter jets passing by. My headset's mic suppresses it completely.

Am sure, Jabra's would do just as good when paired with Teams. While I can't comment on other conferencing apps like Zoom or WebEx.

So i have closure on this issue faster than i thought.
First i found i was able to make my bose soundlink mini 2 work as a speakerphone with ms teams (strangely doesn't work with WhatsApp)
Second, even better, after not getting any good pricing for a USB speakerphone, i cast my net wider and found a gentleman selling a plantronics 610 for 1k (!) On classifieds. He was surprised when i told him they sell for a lot more, and he asked if i could pay him 2k instead. I said why not, and the thing is mine now. So that problem is solved :)

Last edited:
Back