Usb dac/amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
I want to buy a USB DAC/Amp for my headphones. I barely uses speakers these days, and are completely on headphones. So best SQ is preffered for those cans.

So looking for a good performance DAC or DAC+Amp.
I dont need extra features like optical/co-axial outs and all, but a stereo RF out is appreciated.
Im really dieing for the NuForce uDAC, but cant spend 5k now. Also it hasnt yet arrived, and i cant wait that much. :(

requirements:
*must be able to drive some moderate impedance low sensitivity cans.
*USB powered or USB+9v battery.
*It would be great if it can work as a standalone amp too.
*size and weight is not a problem.
*And above all> It should have good SQ:D

Why not to wait till May end for getting hands on the Fiio E7? It will launch in the mid of May 2010 probably and our dealers can give you a good price. :)

I really cant wait that much, as we are goin for a family tour on may end. Its a 15 day trip, and need the DAC before that.

Even the Hotaudio.com prices are fair [$60 to $100], and has free worldwide shipping. And the site owner, on my prompt request gave me an exclusive $30 discount.

But the problems are> I dun have a paypal account and it might take long :(

btw how does the E7 stand against the uDAC ?

And what is the expected price for the E7 ?

I have already ordered one E5, and i know the best choice is to live with during the trip, and wait for the E7 and uDAC to arrive.

Will ditch that idea, if i get a fair deal.

^ No one can really tell you how the E7 compares to the uDAC since the E7 isn't easily available. If possible I will try to get my hands on both and put up a review soon :).

Is the Hotaudio DAC destroyer worth $45 ? > DAC DESTROYER [DAC DESTROYER] - $55.99 : HOTAUDIO.COM, It's About the Experience!

Or the Mark IV worth $70 ? > MARK IV USB DAC HEADPHONE AMP / AMPLIFIER [MARK IV USB DAC] - $99.99 : HOTAUDIO.COM, It's About the Experience!

eventhough prices are irresistible, buying will be a mess as he accepts paypal only :(

And who knows, if there are some hidden customs charges, even though shipping is free.

Are there any Indian dealers for DACs who are ready to ship ?

anyone ?
10c...

Expect late responses or almost none from him. He did in fact tell me, he seems to get a lot of such queries a day and denies replying to them. :p

You are better off getting the DAC from Hot Audio in case you are in a hurry.

^No clue man. Just ask them to have it undervalued and marked as a gift. The customs may check it if it's dispatched through the normal post (USPS?). Other express courier services handles the courier without a fuss but is expensive for the service!

It took me about 10 days to receive the DAC from hotaudio.
Customs charges seem to differ according to city so won't comment on that.

Hot audio Mark IV has the same DAC section as DAC destroyer. Its output section is buffered & provides more power to drive headphones.

So, will the builtin amping on mark IV cause any distortion ?

Which will be better?

DAC Destroyer + E5 or a Mark IV ?

And what about the DAC-1 from Ordinance Amplifier ?

My Mark IV had hissing issues with my highly sensitive denons.

At that time, I pmed other users of DAC destroyer/denons & they said that they had no hissing issues.

So, I would recommend the DAC destroyer + E5 combo.

DAC-1 from OA is PCM2704 based, pretty similar to the DAC destroyer which is PCM2705 based.

Take your pick.

Ive on hold a pretty decent offer for a MARK IV(ebay coupon :D) from a member here. Is there any way to bypass its buffering stage, and use just the DAC on it ?

The DAC-1 is for $92 from that ebay dealer, which is shipped price. Destroyer for ~$50 and mark IV will be lower than both with ebay coupon. :)

So now, plz suggest, which will be vfm for me ? I might upgrade to a better DAC in about 6 months.

^^ Im selling your old DAC. :)

@Dominator - Since you have the E5, use the line outs and connect it to the 3.5mm Jack of the E5 and connect the headphones to the E5. You will get no hiss and you can drive most headphones very well.

I have already put the listing on ebay. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back