USB DAC Stereo Amplifier for Bookshelf Speakers

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
I am looking for a usb dac stereo amp for Tannoy mx1 speakers https://www.hifidatabase.com/Tannoy_Mercury_mX1_4148.php

Ive been out of integrated stereo amplfier/ usb dac for speakers scene for a long time.
I dont prefer to purchase likes of marantz / yamaha units because of size.
Need something compact that will be able to drive the speakers well. More device inputs options might help in futre, but currently something for PC only as source.

Budget: 30K max if possible or upto 50K if there are no reasonable options upto 30k

All good products:

All good products:

thanks @delhiboy1 . So I have to spend around 50K for a compact product.
I was looking at Topping but they dont have indian sellers for speaker amps, headphonezone does for headphone amps.

FX Audio D502 is out of stock and not many options in budget range. will explore.

Personally I'd not recommend a integrated solution here. DAC's go obsolete in a few years. Amps on the other hand, almost never do.
Allo volt+ has good reviews and bang for buck
DAC - buy whatever is the FOTM, or if you're not keen on playing audiophile buzzword bingo (DSD, mqa, hi res etc) even better, a used one from someone upgrading to the next FOTM
*Flavour of the month

Last edited:
Personally I'd not recommend a integrated solution here. DAC's go obsolete in a few years. Amps on the other hand, almost never do.
Allo volt+ has good reviews and bang for buck
DAC - buy whatever is the FOTM, or if you're not keen on playing audiophile buzzword bingo (DSD, mqa, hi res etc) even better, a used one from someone upgrading to the next FOTM
*Flavour of the month

Interesting. Can look at usb dac and this.
no issues driving 8 ohm speakers 100 w speakers right ?

I am using Allo Volt Amp but I feel Allo Volt + D is better than this ( Compared to power and component wise with upgraded ones).
Allo Volt + D - https://www.fabtolab.com/allo-volt-dual-mono-volt-amplifier
In theory it's better but he'll need 4 ohm or low impedance speakers to enjoy the benefits of a PBTL amp
Interesting. Can look at usb dac and this.
no issues driving 8 ohm speakers 100 w speakers right ?
Yes. You should get around 20 clean Watts per channel with a regular 19v laptop adapter. With a 24v 5a like this

You can get around 30w per channel

It's still going to be a bit on the quiet side but should be in line with most entry level hifi amps.
If you're still looking for a one box solution
https://www.therevolverclub.com/products/denon-pma-800ne
Their prices are nice. They even have some nice vintage stuff ( sansui au 217 <3 )

Last edited:
In theory it's better but he'll need 4 ohm or low impedance speakers to enjoy the benefits of a PBTL amp

Yes. You should get around 20 clean Watts per channel with a regular 19v laptop adapter. With a 24v 5a like this

You can get around 30w per channel

It's still going to be a bit on the quiet side but should be in line with most entry level hifi amps.
If you're still looking for a one box solution
https://www.therevolverclub.com/products/denon-pma-800ne
Their prices are nice. They even have some nice vintage stuff ( sansui au 217 <3 )

thanks. this helps a lot. 30 W per channel is enough I guess.
Not looking at a large unit because of space issues. wanted compact solution for 1 ( usb dac amp) or 2 devices ( dac + amp)
Now the question of USB DAC to go with this. I might pick up a Topping

The topping combo is going to look cool as a stack. It's a bit more expensive but worth it from the 'keeping your desk not cluttered with random equipment sizes" perspective.

Plus it's cool to play Tetris with hifi components
For anyone whose wondering, top row, l to r
Fx Audio tube 01, BL MUSE 01
bottom row l to r
Fx Audio fx1002a, DAC X6, phono Box 01

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_120158252.jpg
    IMG_20190711_120158252.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
If balance is not required then Fiio BTA 30 Pro is also alternative option with Topping PA 3s.

BTA30 Pro offer much more function than stand alone DAC (no Remote though)…..But of course E50 & PA3s will be great pair - No doubt.

Back