USB Hub With Network/Wifi Support?

kg_87

Disciple
I have 5 external hard-disks (over 10 TB of data). Due to a travelling job, I am planning to build a setup at my home which allows me to access contents of hard-disks remotely.

Is there any USB-Hub with wi-fi or network support or vice versa in the market? If Yes, please suggest. I am open to DIY jugaads as well. (Data-Security isn't an issue.)

Also if I keep hard-disks connected all the time , would it impact their life/performance?

Thanks for the help.

I have 5 external hard-disks (over 10 TB of data). Due to a travelling job, I am planning to build a setup at my home which allows me to access contents of hard-disks remotely.

Is there any USB-Hub with wi-fi or network support or vice versa in the market? If Yes, please suggest. I am open to DIY jugaads as well. (Data-Security isn't an issue.)

Also if I keep hard-disks connected all the time , would it impact their life/performance?

Thanks for the help.
Best option you have is go for low powered itx board & cpu, 4-8 GB ram, 120 GB SSD and Synology DSM. With desktop board, you can use all your usb HDDs .

Thanks for the help.
Other than the costly NAS, cheapest one would be to have a SBC like RaspberryPi with Openmediavault, with drives connected to it via a powered USB 3.0 Hub.
Total cost - about 5000.

1. Raspberry Pi4 Model B with 2GB RAM
The SBC is fast enough and with 2GB RAM is more than enough for NAS. Moreover, will run on 5V power supply.
INR 3200.
Add to above, the cost of 8 GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSD card and USB-C based 5V 2A-3A power supply.

2. USB 3.0 7 port hub based on advanced chipsets like Via VL813 or VL817
Orico F7U-U3 based on VL817 and runs on 5V micro USB input to power the 5 HDDs.
INR 1550.
Add a normal USB phone charger with 5V 3A output.
3. Internet -
With the Raspberry Pi4 Model B you have an ethernet port, inbuilt wifi or a faster remaining USB 3.0 port for installing faster USB WLAN cards.

NOTE - You can even setup the Pi4 in ssh headless mode where besides accessing the storage, you can control the whole SBC.

Aware that I am bumping an old thread, but what did you do finally?

Since most ISPs do not give public IPs, I would have setup a small cloud instance (in India to enable peering) with wireguard for a tunnel

The hardware on the other end would be a RPI4 with a powered usb hub for lower usage while for higher usage I would opt for a PC which could do better.

Aware that I am bumping an old thread, but what did you do finally?

Since most ISPs do not give public IPs, I would have setup a small cloud instance (in India to enable peering) with wireguard for a tunnel

The hardware on the other end would be a RPI4 with a powered usb hub for lower usage while for higher usage I would opt for a PC which could do better.
didn't get time to do pi4 setup. Planning to go for Western Digital mycloud setup.

Back