WTB Used gaming rig for under 30k

Digigear

Disciple
I'm looking for a used gaming rig that can let me play latest games (Resident Evil Village, Far Cry 5/6, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Hitman 3, Forza Horizon 5, Mass Effect Legendary, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc) on playable frame rates. I'm ok even if it only let's me play on medium settings or just 720p as long as I can get a smooth gaming experience without noticeable lag.

Also I'm not a hardware buff, so if anyone can tell me what kind of a hardware I should look for, please advise. Also like which components to focus on more than others. Esp since some of them can be upgraded.

I'm looking for a used gaming rig that can let me play latest games (Resident Evil Village, Far Cry 5/6, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Hitman 3, Forza Horizon 5, Mass Effect Legendary, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc) on playable frame rates. I'm ok even if it only let's me play on medium settings or just 720p as long as I can get a smooth gaming experience without noticeable lag.

Also I'm not a hardware buff, so if anyone can tell me what kind of a hardware I should look for, please advise. Also like which components to focus on more than others. Esp since some of them can be upgraded.
What you are asking for requires good hardware which you won't get for 30k. Let alone even decent gpu can't be had for that price. Better check for a used Xbox series S. You may get it for 30k. New comes at 35k or if you can get series X new for 50k. But also check if these games are released for it.

What you are asking for requires good hardware which you won't get for 30k. Let alone even decent gpu can't be had for that price. Better check for a used Xbox series S. You may get it for 30k. New comes at 35k or if you can get series X new for 50k. But also check if these games are released for it.
That's actually a great option, except that there are 2 issues - one is that I have a significant collection of PC games on Steam. And I don't wanna reinvest in games for a different platform.

Also I like to play with keyboard and mouse. Maybe it's possible to plug in keyboard and mouse on a console, but still the games collection is a considerable secondary investment.

I actually wouldn't mind waiting and saving up to get a viable build maybe next year, when the GPU prices have come down. How much do you think I'll need to get the kind of build I'm looking for?

That's actually a great option, except that there are 2 issues - one is that I have a significant collection of PC games on Steam. And I don't wanna reinvest in games for a different platform.

Also I like to play with keyboard and mouse. Maybe it's possible to plug in keyboard and mouse on a console, but still the games collection is a considerable secondary investment.

I actually wouldn't mind waiting and saving up to get a viable build maybe next year, when the GPU prices have come down. How much do you think I'll need to get the kind of build I'm looking for?
You can may be get a good used system without gpu, monitor, keyboard, mouse comprising of ryzen 3600x or 3700x between 30-45k depending on warranty remaining. Then remains gpu which you will have to check accordingly. For intel based system also price would be in same ballpark.

You can may be get a good used system without gpu, monitor, keyboard, mouse comprising of ryzen 3600x or 3700x between 30-45k depending on warranty remaining. Then remains gpu which you will have to check accordingly. For intel based system also price would be in same ballpark.

Thanks, I can manage to go up to 35k or even 40k for a full rig. I already have monitors and keyboard and mouse and everything else. Just need the rig.

I found these options near me:-
  1. https://www.olx.in/item/good-condition-editing-and-gaming-pc-iid-1660155740
  2. https://www.rigvedapc.com/product/best-gaming-pc-under-25000/
  3. https://www.olx.in/item/gaming-and-streaming-pc-gtx-1060-6-gb-xeon-2620-v3-iid-1646740199
  4. https://www.olx.in/item/gaming-editing-pc-full-iid-1661984188 (This one is currently out of scope for me, but if I shave off the monitor and peripherals from this, I can maybe get it down to 35k if he's willing, and would it be worth it then?)
Not sure how good these are since I'm not very familiar with the specs or reputations of the parts used.

It would be nice to receive inputs from those in the know.

Let me give you an idea. You need to double your budget for an okay gaming experience today even for used parts.
For the GPU you need 1060 6GB, bare minimum to be able to play those games at low/medium 40+fps. Maybe a little better but you will see occasional microstutters.

The last one is an okay deal considering you're getting everything. Ask him what CPU/mobo he has, description is very vague. Don't bother with rest of the listings.

I'm looking for a used gaming rig that can let me play latest games (Resident Evil Village, Far Cry 5/6, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Hitman 3, Forza Horizon 5, Mass Effect Legendary, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc) on playable frame rates.
I have a significant collection of PC games on Steam. And I don't wanna reinvest in games for a different platform.

The sad truth is that pc gaming, for the latest titles, is not even close to being affordable even with secondhand/thirdhand/found-at-the-bottom-of-a-well hardware. Pandemic, lockdown (and supply issues that have resulted because of pandemic and lockdown) has basically ruined pc gaming, and there's no optimism by any manufacturer that it'll be back to normal before 2024. Which probably means closer to 2025 for us here in India. That GTX 1060 6GB is a five year old graphics card, with five year old hardware design and specifications.

A console is a far more practical option if you want to play any of these games within the next year or so. You most likely haven't purchased these games for PC yet, so it's not really a reinvestment at this point. It's just a different platform. For the games you already own, you could play them either with basic gaming pc either now or when prices get more sensible.

You can play older games if you really want the keyboard + mouse experience with that basic gaming pc. And even then, you're looking at spending more than a console. It's just a bad time for pc gaming with no end in sight.

I have some commentary for the links you wanted to know more about:

This rig is worth maybe 12k if you're feeling very generous. The processor is 8 years old and even back then it was a much slower processor compared to an Intel i5 of that time period.

This is a good price for a gaming pc with reasonably modern components that's meant for a eight year old kid who wants to play minecraft or roblox. It has some of the lowest end components that you can buy new today, but still looks cool enough to win over a niece or nephew that you haven't seen in a few years.

The old Xeon inside this one can be purchased for less than the cost of a modern day Pentium processor. The motherboard is a no-name brand (they have no reputation or history) made with salvaged chips of decommissioned servers from the 2014-2015 era. The 1060 6GB is the only component that's remotely interesting but that was worth maybe 9k at most before the pandemic and lockdown and the entire situation we're in.

The reason why these options even exist is because that's how bad the situation is. It's not that these people are trying to separate a gullible person and their money, it's just that the shortage and price gouging is so extreme that for your price range, this is what's considered "reasonable" to many people.

If you can wait a year or more to buy a GPU from an retailer like RPTech that sells at msrp on a lottery basis, then maybe today you can build a system with onboard graphics and play through the older games you have on steam. You should be able to get a system with an AMD 5600G, an A520 motherboard, 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD for around 40k. And maybe later you can upgrade the motherboard and power supply when you're able to buy a GPU. This is the approach I would take if I was your situation.

We all wish the situation was different.

The sad truth is that pc gaming, for the latest titles, is not even close to being affordable even with secondhand/thirdhand/found-at-the-bottom-of-a-well hardware. Pandemic, lockdown (and supply issues that have resulted because of pandemic and lockdown) has basically ruined pc gaming, and there's no optimism by any manufacturer that it'll be back to normal before 2024. Which probably means closer to 2025 for us here in India. That GTX 1060 6GB is a five year old graphics card, with five year old hardware design and specifications.

A console is a far more practical option if you want to play any of these games within the next year or so. You most likely haven't purchased these games for PC yet, so it's not really a reinvestment at this point. It's just a different platform. For the games you already own, you could play them either with basic gaming pc either now or when prices get more sensible.

You can play older games if you really want the keyboard + mouse experience with that basic gaming pc. And even then, you're looking at spending more than a console. It's just a bad time for pc gaming with no end in sight.

This rig is worth maybe 12k if you're feeling very generous. The processor is 8 years old and even back then it was a much slower processor compared to an Intel i5 of that time period.

This is a good price for a gaming pc with reasonably modern components that's meant for a eight year old kid who wants to play minecraft or roblox. It has some of the lowest end components that you can buy new today, but still looks cool enough to win over a niece or nephew that you haven't seen in a few years.

The old Xeon inside this one can be purchased for less than the cost of a modern day Pentium processor. The motherboard is a no-name brand (they have no reputation or history) made with salvaged chips of decommissioned servers from the 2014-2015 era. The 1060 6GB is the only component that's remotely interesting but that was worth maybe 9k at most before the pandemic and lockdown and the entire situation we're in.

The reason why these options even exist is because that's how bad the situation is. It's not that these people are trying to separate a gullible person and their money, it's just that the shortage and price gouging is so extreme that for your price range, this is what's considered "reasonable" to many people.

If you can wait a year or more to buy a GPU from an retailer like RPTech that sells at msrp on a lottery basis, then maybe today you can build a system with onboard graphics and play through the older games you have on steam. You should be able to get a system with an AMD 5600G, an A520 motherboard, 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD for around 40k. And maybe later you can upgrade the motherboard and power supply when you're able to buy a GPU. This is the approach I would take if I was your situation.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the amount of time and effort you've put into give me this. This answers literally all of my questions right now. And it's given me some clarity. Thank you so much!

As for your recommendations, I'm not really a hardcore gamer or anything. I just wanna be able to play games on the side. So having a console doesn't make much sense. I much like your idea of extending the budget to 40k and get the R5 setup you descrived and play with the onboard graphics for now and upgrade to a GPU later. I think I might just do that.

I shared your recommendation to a friend and they said that it would work but that I should go for B450 mobo instead of A520, because the R5 is a more recent one and using a recent mobo would be best. I didn't ask for much details.. I'm still looking at which would be best. Thoughts?

@rsaeon I found a deal for this setup for 46k:-
AMD R5 3500X, AMD Rx550 2gb, Asrock steel legend b450m, Corsair vengeance 8gb 3200mhz Ram, cooler master Mwe 450w, crucial bx500 240gb SSD, msi furge 100m

This is 5 months old and he got it for 40k and he's selling for 46k. Comes with bill and warranty.

Is this a decent setup for that price?

hi, my friend is selling this PC without GPU for 27500. With 1060 3gb for 43500..except GPU rest are under warranty AFAIK

i5 9600kf
CM 120mm AIO
Gigabyte B360 gaming 3 wifi
Zoyac 1060 3gb
16gb ddr4
samsung evo 860 500gb ssd
Cm mwe 550w
Corsair spec01

Last edited:
@rsaeon I found a deal for this setup for 46k:-
AMD R5 3500X, AMD Rx550 2gb, Asrock steel legend b450m, Corsair vengeance 8gb 3200mhz Ram, cooler master Mwe 450w, crucial bx500 240gb SSD, msi furge 100m

This is 5 months old and he got it for 40k and he's selling for 46k. Comes with bill and warranty.

Is this a decent setup for that price?

You can easily buy that system brand new, without a graphics card, for under 35k. The graphics card isn't anything notable, it's about on par with a GT 1030, which most people consider e-waste since the price/value ratio for gaming is terrible. It is however, also on par with the built-in graphics of the 5600G. Except this is an older system, with AMD 3000 series processor. For this kind of money, I'd prefer the 5600G easily.

Charging more for a five month old system is a bit too optimistic on his part. The prices haven't increased in that time, the story is different if the system is a year or two old. You'd be better off spending that 46k on a 5600G with a B450 motherboard instead of a A520. If you can get him down to 35k including the graphics card, then it's a good start.

I should go for B450 mobo instead of A520,

Technically, the A520 is more recent but it's a very basic chipset meant for the strictest of budgets. The B450 is one generation old (it was meant for the 3000 series processors and it is forward compatible with 5000 series), but it has more features at slightly higher price than the A520 which makes it an overall better choice.

Back