Used PS3 80GB @9k - Should I buy?

blaze056

Disciple
Hello Guys,

One quick question ...

I have an offer for fat PS3 80GB @9k (not jailbreaked). The seller claims it to be 8 months used & bought in US. Should I buy?
I have a laptop which I can't use for gaming. Iam contemplating to get a gaming PC as an alternative to PS3, but the price seems to soar very high for a decent RIG. :crash: I don't want to shell out $$$ for new PS3 games... Not sure if it is easy to get some games for cheap somehow? What do you say??
:cool2:
blaze056

I'd advise not to because the console was purchased from the US. There shouldn't be anything wrong in the long run since most 80GB models (CECH K/L/M XX) do not fall prey to the YLOD or the SOD but there is no guarantee. Slims do not - at least there has been no known instances by far on the web but that's out of context here anyway.

The problem here is if the console dies, Sony will refuse to replace it citing the console being purchased from abroad.The norm is, if you have a console dying on you and if it was locally purchased, Sony replaces it with a slim unit provided you pay them some amount which I assume is approx. 8~10k. That was the amount back then. Not sure what is the present day expenses.

Someone in the market section was selling a slim unit for a higher price. Do check if it is still available. If you don't find one and cannot resist that phat model with the elite logo in Spiderman's font, get it! :p

Its 8k now. The amount they refund to you for a dead console.

@OP
If at all u locate an Indian ps3, get it. And try for similar amount.
If all sources exhaust and u dont have any other option/source for a used ps3, then u prolly shd get it. By your own estimates u have time till 6th Jan.. search till then.

Someone in the market section was selling a slim unit for a higher price. Do check if it is still available.

Gannu, can u show that person?

@OP

If at all u locate an Indian ps3, get it. And try for similar amount.

If all sources exhaust and u dont have any other option/source for a used ps3, then u prolly shd get it. By your own estimates u have time till 6th Jan.. search till then.

Is there a 80GB version of the PS3 slim? I don't find any online. Anyways, I'll do some more searching and get an Indian PS3. Why go through all the hassles to save a few bucks.

blaze056 said:
Gannu, can u show that person?

PS3 on CFW 3.55

PS3 320 GB 3.55 and few games

blaze056 said:
Is there a 80GB version of the PS3 slim? I don't find any online. Anyways, I'll do some more searching and get an Indian PS3. Why go through all the hassles to save a few bucks.

There are no 80GB versions of the slim. 120/160/250/320 GB are the only variants out of which 120 & 250 GB models have been discontinued. You may still find them in the markets but Sony has stopped the production of these variants.

There are no 80GB versions of the slim. 120/160/250/320 GB are the only variants out of which 120 & 250 GB models have been discontinued. You may still find them in the markets but Sony has stopped the production of these variants.

thanks for that info mate! clever strategy by Sony i believe. :angel:

blaze056 said:
clever strategy by Sony i believe. :angel:

Why is that a clever strategy? :huh:

80GB 2.5" hard drives have become outdated and EOL when the revised slim PS3s were being manufactured. Even present day netbooks come with a 250GB hard drive.

Back