Camera UV filters - useful or just a gimmick ?

sabby

ex-Mod
I have seen a lot of my friends who use Interchangeable lens cameras, almost always end up buying a UV filter. Most of them are usually made to believe that those filters improve Image quality by reducing haze and UV ray. I think this topic has been discussed to death in various photography forums and most of the seasoned users already know the truth. This is just a fake perception created to make a bit more profit from the manufacturers and dealers. The most common idea behind purchasing these filters is to protect the front element of the lens. My suggestion, to my fellow users who are new to photography/DSLRs, is not to fall for this. If anything, they actually degrade the image quality - especially the cheaply made glasses (not just UV filters, all kinds) reduces the sharpness and contrast. Think about this, you are buying expensive lens for getting better photographs, then why ruin it putting a cheap glass in front of it. Learn to take better care of your gears. And to make yourself a bit more comfortable, it has actually been tested that a few minor scratches or even cracks in the front element does not really effect the photograph.
Next time you reach for that UV filter, use the hood instead, it actually does protect against physical damage AND glares.
If you have experienced any sort of impact using a UV filter, please do share.

i use lens hood all the time, except when using the flash... tried the UV filter but didn't notice much difference. didn't know others too think of it as a gimmick. :rolleyes:

Most of the people I know are of the opinion that UV filters are for protecting the lens. Changing in image quality is more of a placebo effect.

Pretty much you have summarized everything :) and I don't have hand's on experience with UV filter either. All I have about UV filter is just a theoretical knowledge.

Back