V-Slicer the kitchen vegetable slicer - is it worth??

Hi,
For quite sometime I have been looking to gift my mom a V-Slicer which comes with different cutters (So than I can get some lovely french fries at home :) )

But like other telemarketing products, I am a little apprehensive about going for one since I am not sure if it will be as easy and effective to use as on TV. It would be great if anyone using/having it at home can share their opinion..

I am looking to get one from ebay.in for around 1.2k and would like to know if it is worth the money spent..

It is useless product and those selling on ebay are ripping you off. They cost 1/3rd if you go to a brick and mortar shop, may have some different name but the text "AS SEEN ON TV" will surely be written on that.

We have one and has been lying somewhere in house and never used.

If french fries it the only requirement then i guess you really done need all this. Plain knife can be used to cut the potatoes in the way required.

Check at your local cutlery store/super markets. You will find them for 200~250 bucks. At least that is what they cost at the Spencer's supermarket near my home. Like most other stuff advertised on tele-shopping channels, these also come under the category of cheap crap imported from china, re-branded and sold at ridiculously high prices on these channels. The same stuff (same quality and everything, but branded differently) can be easily found at your local stores at considerably lower prices.

1.2k is too much. I have the original V-Slicer purchased around 13-14 years back (when the Telebrands Super-Slicer ads with the bad Hindi dubbing :D used to come on TV). That cost just Rs. 699 at the time. It is still working perfectly. Not once has the blade been sharpened. The plastic is also crack-free after all this while. The box it came it had german on it, so I'm guessing thats the reason for its success ;)

It's better to buy frozen French Fries from a superstore for 70/- half kg then to invest in this stupid slicer. If you want to gift your mom something a Food Processor or Magic Bullet would be much better option.

Whatever fails in the US, is dumped in places like our market where we fall for the blonde haired girl and the freebies.. whether we gonna be using the product or not is immaterial.

vpraveenis said:
For quite sometime I have been looking to gift my mom a V-Slicer which comes with different cutters (So than I can get some lovely french fries at home :) )
Isn't gifting supposed to be about the giftee rather than the gifter ?

Thanks for the suggestion guys... Well the idea is to help mom get the direct benefit and me an indirect benefit ;)

French fries is just one option guys, the TV ads show it can be used for fries/chips/grate and even fine chop onions and cabbage. I have searched around quite a few shops here in chennai and the salesperson has not even heard of something like that. Wanted to know if it can be used with different blades to cut different vegetables to different sizes.. the ad showed them cutting cabbage, onion and carrot to fine pieces for fried rice in a few minutes which will take more than half hour with a knife.. is it really that easy?

vpraveenis said:
Well the idea is to help mom get the direct benefit and me an indirect benefit ;)
This assumes your mother likes fries more than you doesn't it.
vpraveenis said:
French fries is just one option guys, the TV ads show it can be used for fries/chips/grate and even fine chop onions and cabbage.
I would be wary about these sorts of infomercials, they're designed to hook you. If you're inexperienced then you're easy bait, target audience. Target audience ie late at night, when the working ppl ie experienced are already asleep.

So what did they sell you ? just some thing that supposed to be easier (in theory) than doing it the usual way, ie with a knife. They had to do this because on its own it would not sell, that tells me its utility is marginal or it would sell itself on its own like a knife would.

For me it was better to buy a good potato peeler than something that can cut potatoes into strips.
vpraveenis said:
the ad showed them cutting cabbage, onion and carrot to fine pieces for fried rice in a few minutes which will take more than half hour with a knife.. is it really that easy?
Ah, so this is how they hooked you. Here's how it works in real life.

First time you do it takes half an hour.
After tenth time it takes 20 minutes.
After 100th time it takes 10 minutes.

You mother has been doing this many more times than that. She prolly could get the job done in little more time. I really doubt it woul be a VFM purchase for her.

i really dont get the point in gifting ladies appliances which they ll end up using for their chores.

Sounds so lame to be calling it as a gift even.
Step 1: Hey Mom.. I bought a gift for you.

Step 2: Gimme a smile.

Step 3: So..? When do you start using it ..? I havent got all day u see..

Back