Budget 15-20K Vanilla Android : For Pre-Teen

mk76

Adept
Need to get a phone for my younger one. Primarily for contact and GPS .

Budget - Max 20k
UI - Vanilla Android ( Possibility to root , so that I can push root level ad blocker )
Primary use
- Whatsapp
- Will set up Google Family for time and GPS tracking
- Mild gaming
No - Redmi or Exynos based

PS - Also open for TE marketplace

Someone mentioned
Few motos can be considered for vanilla preference but I would suggest go the MI way which has plethora of roms and customization!
No doubt it is a good hardware but unlocking bootloader in Redmi is PITA. Also as per some reddit posts that process might be broken altogether

Which moto would you recommend G - 34, 64, 84, 85 ?

Someone mentioned

No doubt it is a good hardware but unlocking bootloader in Redmi is PITA. Also as per some reddit posts that process might be broken altogether

Which moto would you recommend G - 34, 64, 84, 85 ?
MI officially allows to UL BL and I haven't came across such news yet. For Moto compare and pick the best you feel feature-wise bang for the buck!

I recently bought a Redmi 12 5G and was given a one week waiting peroid. During this time, I came across many scary stories on reddit of how Xiaomi was refusing to unlock the bootloader. I was really worried that when the one week period is over, they might extend it and then even refuse to allow unlocking the bootloader. Thankfully, after one week, I was allowed to unlock the BL. I used the device during this week, though without a sim card; maybe using the device helped in their agreeing to allow the BL to be unlocked.

Also, the MI unlock tool has a lot of problems logging in. Create the MI account on the phone and add the phone number to the account in the phone itself, then open the MI tool in the computer and log in using the QR code option.

I'd advice anyone thinking of buying a Redmi device to be careful in this regard. You might end up having to use MIUI... Afaik, other companies that allow bootloader unlocking do not have such waiting periods. I think Oneplus straightaway allows BL unlocking.

Last edited:
Also, the MI unlock tool has a lot of problems logging in. Create the MI account on the phone and add the phone number to the account in the phone itself, then open the MI tool in the computer and log in using the QR code option.
Thats their usual process as it acts like an account latching/lock and also very helpful when one steals your phone and tries to format, he will be asked for your account credentials adn ph. no. and thus the phone is useless for him! Try formatting and see for yourself.

I'd advice anyone thinking of buying a Redmi device to be careful in this regard. You might end up having to use MIUI... Afaik, other companies that allow bootloader unlocking do not have such waiting periods. I think Oneplus straightaway allows BL unlocking.
No force to use MI as 99% people unlock BL to flash custom roms and once you flash it there's no reason to go back to miui and if you ever shift back, MI ensure that the original owner only is signing in by asking you to provide account credentials. Thereafter, MI doesn't force you to backup to their cloud or use their apps, its all optional but we have NOOBS who do the usual next next next ok finish tata bye bye and hence end up blaming MI for everything!

@mk76 I'd recommend a smart watch with LTE (apple/android) instead of a smartphone. Contacting (both ways) and tracking should be just fine, and you won't have the unnecessary distractions/even dangers of free internet access/camera/etc.

Back