OC & Modding Variance in Core temps

kolguy

Adept
Overclocked my Q8400 to 3.2 Ghz and was running Prime 95 ... observed that core 0 temps were around mid 60s where as core 1 to 3 where at 52 C max for the entire process.

Trying to find if this variation in core temps is normal ... not been able to get a lot of information, read that the thermal chip on this pros and some others are faulty is this true...

Any insights thrown in on this is welcome.

there could be alot of variation depending upon the spread of the thermal compound as well as the uniformity in the flatness of the cpu IHS and cooler base surface.

try applying new coat of thermal paste.

examine the IHS flatness of the cpu with help of a mirror.

Point noted was my initial thoughts to ... but observed this with my previous cooling unit which was the Asus Silent Knight AL and changed the thermal paste and the applying method about 4 times and there was still the same variance ... i moved to the H50 recently which has a factory applied thermal past on it and according to there website its recommended to use this. Variance is still observed....

Can certainly rule out the flatness of the cooler base since its with two diffrent coolers... and the CPU is flat as it can be ... unless there is some mm diffrence which cant be observed by the human eye.

Use OEM TIM, I doubt the factory applied TIM is really that good. Also cross reference at least two device monitoring software to check temperatures.

Could you run a sensor test using RealTEMP. It would show sensor movement, just before the test actually starts. This will show actually if the sensor detect temperature variations. Also Intel on die diodes are famous for actually kicking in, when near the TJMax -- since that threshold is what is critical to start the throttle.

I normally use OCZ freeze ... but there was a post/video from corsair where it mentions that the default TIM used on the H50 is the best one used for it compared to some of the other well know TIM's used along with it... I will check rest once i go home today evening.

EDIT: the sensor test results.

Core 1 reached a max temp of 70 C without AC during this test and remaining cores reached a max of 61c while averaging around 58 to 59 C

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back