Very slow speeds with JioFi - only during the day.

PoBoy

Skilled
I've been using JioFi for about 4 years now. Day time speeds were not great but OK.
For the past month or so it is almost unusable during the day time, say, 10am to 7pm. Speeds are like 10KB/s to 30KB/s. Sometimes zero.
- only recently. only day time.
- OK on Sundays.
- I've checked with more than PC and mobile phone so the prob is not on my side.

What can I do ? I've e-mailed Jio, no response.
To chat with Jio customer service I have to enter my Jio number and they send a OTP by SMS to the Jio number. Since I use JioFi I cannot see the SMS. So I cannot chat with the Jio customer service.

btw, if I switch off the JioFi and then switch it on, speeds are OK for a short time and then falls off.

Looks like JioFi doesn't provide bandwidth on 1:1 basis. They are sharing mainline bandwidth between a lot many users. There's a name for this which I can't recall right now. It used to be a thing long time ago. In short, Jio might have 1 gigabit line coming in your area/building and it's then branched into 100 users who are promised 100mbps bandwidth. So that's like 1:10 ratio. Catch is, Jio doesn't expect everyone in your area start using their internet bandwidth 100% at the same time.

There's only one solution that I know of and have had to use it myself several times in the past. That solution is to change your ISP. Kick the Jio and get something else.
Don't bother wasting your time finding a solution, because I have wasted mine in the past. Jio isn't going to help you. They have signed up way too many customers than they can handle.

I didn't expect this bandwidth sharing happening in present. Today, if ISP is promising 100mbps then you get 100mbps 24x7 no matter what. This is been standard from many years now.

I used Twitter @JioCare . Received a service request number via SMS. Update by 17th it says. Lets see.

I had to DM my contact details etc.

Magically, speeds are now back to normal. Lets hope it stays that way.

I guess there is some problem with your connection. I get full speeds on my jiofiber connection irrespective of time in a day. 300 Mb/s = 30 MB/s - 36 MB/s Download/Upload

I guess there is some problem with your connection. I get full speeds on my jiofiber connection irrespective of time in a day. 300 Mb/s = 30 MB/s - 36 MB/s Download/Upload
I'm using JioFi not fiber.

Speeds gone south again, LOL,

Last edited:
Speeds are much better since the last week or so. I don't know if my msgs on Twitter are responsible for this.

If you have the same problem try contacting Jio on Twitter.

weird experiencing same prob with jiofi last 2 days..
i thought maybe plan data limit was over.. but looks like some other issues now..

Jio stretched their user base without adequate node level infrastructure. They were on a frenzy to get customers. Specially in high density zones in tier 2,3 cities the speeds are really pathetic. You’re lucky if you live in a area with low density of jio users. The OFC that they’ve laid for distant pockets is also narrower than its competitors. I’ve always had two Fiber connections due to my work requirements. I’ve always found jio underperforming. Situation is better by night but it’s just not comparable to Airtel or act Fiber.

Have had worse speeds at most needed times with JioFi . I literally used to stay within 5~10km ish distance from a communication n/w tower of jio yet speeds closing to 11Mbps (bits ~1 or 2 Megabytes a sec) whereas at same time used to get 20~30 Mbps on Airtel Wifi hotspot. Has to do with zoning I tried switching the network and apparently my jiofi was connecting to a far off shared zone and resetting it just gave me the speeds but still the whole infrastructure to support a lot of users is still not catering to the needs. Now shifted to fiber everything's A good! Hope it gets fixed for you soon if it hasn't yet!

Which JioFi? Can check - have 2 i think
at present - Device Software Version (03-08-2023) is Amtel_JMR1140_R12.07
jiofi-jmr-1140.jpg

Back