Budget 0-20k VFM CPU + Mobo + RAM + SSD

chiron

Skilled
My existing cpu/mobo (Athlon X2-550 + Biostar 790gxbe mobo) got fried due to lightning strike and so want suitable replacements. Undecided as to getting an SSD. However, I would like to have the option of having one and using it to the best of its potential in the future.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 10-20K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • GPU - ATI Radeon 6850
    • Monitor - Dell U2311h
    • PSU - Corsair VX450
    • Cabinet - Lancool K62
    • Speakers - Circle Arko 2.0 80W
    • DAC - Nuforce uDAC
    • HDDs - WD/Seagate (500gb, 640gb, 1.5tb, 2tb)
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • All of (2) abov.
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel 3220
    • Motherboard - MSI/Gigabyte B75
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4gb (1600mhz)
    • SSD - Samsung 840 - 120gb
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Maybe add another 4gb ram to make it dual channel
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online purchase (90% flipkart - ideally would prefer to buy all parts from a single source)
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Crysis, Trine, GTA (including upcoming version :) )
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1920 x 1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 32 bit

No point going for 3rd Gen Intel processor now. If you can wait 2-3 weeks, 4th Gen processors are on their way (already released in the US). They will give you more chances to upgrade or replace components in coming years. Approximate price - 7000 for i3 haswell, 6000 for b85 motherboard, and 7000 for 128 gb ssd.

If you can't wait, get AMD AM3+ motherboard. Good configurations are in other threads.

I can't wait - have to order latest by the tomorrow evening so so as to get the components by the end of the week. Also, I don't think I am going to upgrade the processor anytime soon. Main concern is whether the B75 chipset will be crippled when it comes to SSD.

FX-6300 with Asus M5A97 R2.0 for around 14k with 2*4GB Corsair / Gskill Dual Channel memory. You may even consider eight core Vishera skipping the ssd for now.

I can't wait - have to order latest by the tomorrow evening so so as to get the components by the end of the week. Also, I don't think I am going to upgrade the processor anytime soon. Main concern is whether the B75 chipset will be crippled when it comes to SSD.

Yes, but it is not always about upgrading. If the processor gets damaged? Maybe a lightening strike? Computer falls down, cracking the motherboard after 2 years when H77 / B75 / Z77 motherboards are not easily available?

Then, one may not always foresee upgrade requirements. What if a new killer app comes which needs more processing power ? One's own work might start needing it. While unlikely, a little foresight now can save a lot of trouble later.

B75 is fine with SSDs. Only thing you can't do there is use 2 SSDs in RAID-0 , both on SATA 6 Gbps ports. See Tom's analysis on it - 2 in RAID-0 are not much greater than single SSD except if you are a benchmarking freak.

So I would say - go for AM3+.
Asus M5A97 R2 about Rs. 8000
FX 4300 - 7000

Back