Windows Disk access issues

avinandan012

Disciple
Hi All, I am running a system with i7-5820k with 64GB of RAM and some internal and external SSDs /HDDs. Boot drive is a Samsung 840EVO 250GB running Windows 10. Running this system from 2015 for workstation and gaming never faced any issues.

Today suddenly around 11AM the PC suddenly got very sluggish. So did a restart it took almost 20mins to windows login screen. When I checked the system resources, everything is normal except one of 2TB Seagate Burracuda drive is showing 0KB/s read write but 100% Active Time. All other disk usage are 0%. I monitored the situation throughout the day no change. The drive remain inaccessible in CMD and Windows explorer. I am running Malwarebytes premium and it is not running after the restart nor am I able to launch it now. Many windows cmd /powershell cmds are not working (no error there is no output). Unable to run even chkdsk on other drives.

This drive is mostly used for storage rarely read/write occurs. Just checked SMART status on all my drives last monday everything was fine. I am even unable to shutdown the PC it just stuck at loading screen. Just now did a direct power off and posting this.

Am I being attacked by ransomware / malware. Any body faced similar issues?
I did try standard fixes for 100% (e.g. disable super fetch etc) active time.

Check all your SATA cables and power cables to the drives and motherboard. Replace cables if doesn't get fixed. Also try the drive in some other system. Had this issue happened to me to one of the drives.

Check all your SATA cables and power cables to the drives and motherboard. Replace cables if doesn't get fixed. Also try the drive in some other system. Had this issue happened to me to one of the drives.
will try touching the hardware tomorrow and will report.

For your issue did the drive survive ? were you able to recover data?

Ransomware doesn't affect any random partition but boot drive and also all drive. And when you boot you are presented with customized infected messages. wallpapers etc. Your desktop icons etc. all icon-less aka encrypted etc.
Try connecting only your boot drive along with that 2tb seagate. Also, try that 32tb on another system to rule out anything.

tried resetting the cable. tried different cables. Tried in another PC. Tried a HDD USB docking station.

Same result. Only drive letters are showing(this disk has two NTFS partitions). Windows disk manager unable to connect. it got stuck at 'connecting to virtual disk service' whenever this disc is attached to the computer. Unable to launch any recovery software, these also gets stuck. Unable to launch diskpart when this drive is connected.

Tried booting from a Windows 10.iso, same it got stuck at loading.

Once was able to get into chkdsk it shows partitions as RAW.
Bought pibox docking station. Will try cloning to another drive tomorrow.

Is this hardware fault or something else? Drive is detected in BIOS when connected via SATA ,also via USB hub in two systems.

Any idea how can I recover data??

Running disk clone(headless) on pibox docking station. Process is running from yesterday completed 25%, but status showing below 50% completion from yesterday 11PM. So probably stuck here. Will wait for tonight.

Takes so long to duplicate with wired SATA connections?

The drive is only 250Gb and most likely not even full !!
drive is 2TB one, trying to clone it to a WD green 3TB.
I can feel the drive is doing some thing.. It got hot 51C. Using a fan to cool these down.

Back