PC Peripherals Video Editing Cards

hay guys...
i m looking for a good Video Editing Card (available in mumbai)..
my main requirements is EDITING and RE-Encoding videos captured from CCD DV camera (mainly for News Editing and Wedding footage Editing)... add in the effects an all... not too grafics intensive... m not talking about animation and stuff... but other kind of effects that we can see in NEWS brodcasts...

also please suggest a system for this sole purpose... everythign to do with Video editing and re-encoding.. dvd writing..cd writing and stuff...

Well you'll need an Intel for that :p

Any decent 6 series based nV card or a X8xx based ATi card would suffice. Though you'd want a godd CPU+Mobo+HDD subsystem..

Try getting a Pentium D 820 and a SATA-2 drive with loads of space for easy editing..:)

yups best wud be try searchin some old 6800u and mod it to quadro :)
for hdd minimum get 2 * 250 gb
proccy atleast dual core for some hardcore editing .

hmmm...guys will the grafics card be enuf...coz i was thinking about some video editing crads..u know those pinnacle or matrox type wala cards.....
any idea which of those cards will do...my budget is around 26k for the card

I think you'll need a card from Pinnacle or Cannopix (hope I got that right). These cards accelerate editing softwares like Premiere.
Check out the adobe forums for more help.

redscorpion_11 said:
hmmm...guys will the grafics card be enuf...coz i was thinking about some video editing crads..u know those pinnacle or matrox type wala cards.....
any idea which of those cards will do...my budget is around 26k for the card

If you want a card just to accelerate encoding of videos, you can get ATI x1xxx series of cards, the cheapest one being x1300 which would come around 6.5k.These card come with AVIVO feature, which encodes video upto 5 times faster. You should also get dual core CPU like Pentium D, it would make encoding even faster

card from Pinnacle or Cannopix (hope I got that right)

It's a very old thread, but I found this site recently.. I hope my answer may helpful to somebody...

Pinnacle cards are useless as they are not supporting 1394 capture.

Canopus has lot of options to choose from. Canopus ADVC 50 & 110 uses canopus DV codec which was not popular now. SDVC 50 is cheaper, but unidirectional (DV In only). You can also try the high end Canopus cards which support Uncompressed & HD Captures.

If you need a capture card with effects you can try Matrox cards. But matrox supports only Premiere. Or try Avid Mojo which supports only Avid Xpress/Media Composer.

My RECOMMENDATION for personal use is, buy a 1394 Firewire 400/800 card, just capture in DV/uncompressed/lossless and play with the footage in PC.

ibmmainframes said:
Pinnacle cards are useless as they are not supporting 1394 capture.

^ Er - Pinnacle AV/DV does have 1394 capture - my friend has a studio, and he uses it all the time. It also comes with pinnacle's studio editing software (not liquid, mind you) which is more than enough for basic editing and compositing.

The hardware card does the capture and encoding DV > MPEG etc.

I'd guess you should go in for a package like the Avid Liquid AV/DV 7 from them.

If you don't want to spend so much, you can get by with a decent dual core system, a firewire input, and a low end editing package - say ulead mediastudio pro (it does titling, compositing and basic effects).

Finally, check http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/as/Products/Consumer+Products/Products+List.htm , you might find the hardware/software combo you require. As for the computer system, there are so many threads, but the gist of it is - 2+ GB RAM, Core 2 duo or Q6600 and a basic nvidia or ATI card for display.

most of the nvidia 6 series up have mpeg hardware support built in. I do a lot of editing and compositing in software like after effects, shake, etc... and have no probs... although I am now using 8800... I was using 6600 b4 upgrading.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
most of the nvidia 6 series up have mpeg hardware support built in. I do a lot of editing and compositing in software like after effects, shake, etc... and have no probs... although I am now using 8800... I was using 6600 b4 upgrading.
Isnt that mpeg decoding? We're talking about encoding here.

ibmmainframes said:
I used them(Blank boxed!) Is it still available with Pinnacle?

I don't recommend Avid liquid to anybody, have you seen the interface, my goodness!!! you can use Premiere better...

AV/DV are available, yeah. It makes sense as a firewire and analog capture device. It comes with either studio 10 or Liquid, depending on the cost. Not a bad choice for basic work.

Yes, I hate the liquid interface as well, premiere is of course, much better. Thing is, its his budget - he hasnt stated how much he wants to spend. Premiere would be expensive - (unless its an ahem copy) :) . While, his licenced software - studio or liquid would be with the hardware card.

There are other solutions of course, but it all boils down to usage and cost :) .

Off-topic but Premiere is rather lousy though :< Especially when you're used to cutting on Avid or Final Cut Pro.

A cost effective NLE alternative for the PC is Sony Vegas. It blows Premiere out of the water and from my experience, I personally feel it's right up there with Avid and Final Cut for editing anything upto prosumer HD (when used with stuff like Raylight for importing DVCPRO HD). What makes Vegas so good is it's superb compositing, motion graphics and titling capabilities. While they're obviously not as good as a dedicated program like After Effects, they're much better than what I find on FCP.

All in all, it's a fantastic program for what it is. Although I mostly use FCP at work, I've used Vegas for a project shot with my Panasonic HVX202 HD camera and it handled it pretty well.

Yes, I know, Guys who like FCP usually like Vegas, Shake, Combustion, Sound Forge, Logic...Its a track...

The other track usually on Avid, ProTools, AE, FL, Premiere... Its my personal exp. What you feel?

I personally like CineForm than Raylight.

But Vegas is not really Bad like ulead, pinnacle, Liquid (???).

Back