Monitors ViewSonic FuHzion LCD VX2265wm

The ViewSonic FuHzion VX2265wm ($349 list) is the company's first desktop display to offer a 120-Hz frame rate, a rarity in the desktop display arena—so rare, in fact, that the VX2265wm is one of only two LCD monitors currently recommended for use with Nvidia's outstanding GeForce 3D Vision glasses. You don't get a lot of features with this 22-inch model, but it is certainly capable of handling your everyday viewing needs. Gamers, especially those looking to get in on the 3D action, will appreciate its motion-handling abilities, too. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer much in the way of connectivity ports, (for example, it has only one video input), ergonomic niceties, or image adjustability.

A word about 120-Hz technology: HDTVs have been using it for more than a year now, and 240-Hz technology has already made its way into some of the newer models.

However, this is the first desktop LCD monitor that I've reviewed to incorporate the enhanced frame rate. In a nutshell, 120-Hz technology effectively doubles the standard refresh rate (60 Hz) used in most LCD monitors to help reduce motion blur while displaying video. And, good news, this monitor won't really cost you more than other 22-inch LCDs with 60-Hz technology.

The VX2265wm is housed in a glossy-black cabinet that is supported by an oval-shaped base with a thin, tapered mounting arm. As was the case with the ViewSonic DiamaniDuo NX2232w, the stand can barely support the weight of the panel and is very wobbly. You can tilt the screen forward and backward, but there are no adjustments for height, swiveling, or pivoting. A thin black bezel with a strip of silver trim surrounds the 1,680-by-1,050 panel on three sides, but the lower edge is wider in order to accommodate a set of function buttons and a pair of 2-watt down-firing speakers. The speakers are loud but could use some bass boost. A blue backlit power button is mounted on the front of the bezel, and there are four function buttons tucked away beneath the bezel that let you adjust the speaker volume and the brightness level, but that's all they do. I was disappointed to find that this monitor lacked adjustability for even the most basic image settings, such as contrast and color temperature.

The dearth of connectivity options on this model is also disappointing. A single dual-link DVI connector and an audio input are all you get. The dual-link DVI port is necessary for displaying the stereoscopic imagery used in 3D gaming, and ViewSonic includes a special dual-link DVI cable in the box, but an HDMI or VGA option would be a welcome addition, as would a couple of USB ports.

I ran my standard array of DisplayMate (www.displaymate.com) diagnostic tests and was generally pleased with the panel's performance. Dark grayscale performance was quite good, with no evidence of tinting or oversaturation, but there was some weakness at the high end of the scale, causing the lightest shades of gray to appear white. Fortunately, the flaw did not affect color quality; colors were sharp and well defined throughout the scale. If you're a graphics artist or a professional shutterbug, you may want to consider a model with better light grayscale accuracy, such as the EIZO ColorEdge CG222W, but be prepared to drop close to $1,000 more for the enhanced performance and calibration features.

The monitor was able to display small text (5.3 points) clearly, but its vertical viewing angle performance was weak; the screen darkened at around 130 degrees when viewed from the bottom. The view from the top and sides was much better, remaining solid at up 170 degrees. I did notice a slight trace of backlight bleed along the lower edge of the screen, however.

The panel's 3-millisecond pixel response rate (gray-to-gray) delivered a smooth F.E.A.R. gaming experience, with no apparent artifacts or blurring. Likewise, the BBC's Planet Earth on DVD looked incredible; colors were crisp and the action looked smooth and natural. I did a side-by-side comparison with the Acer H233H bmid, which also was terrific at handling motion and runs at 60 Hz, and could not differentiate between the two in terms of blur reduction. That's not to say that the faster frame is not beneficial, but in this case, the benefits were negligible.

The VX2265wm really shines when it is used in conjunction with the Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision kit, which requires a 120-Hz LCD monitor (or a 100-Hz or higher CRT) to display 3D images. Playing a round of F.E.A.R. in 3D was a blast and very comfortable, and as with the iZ3D 22-inch monitor I reviewed earlier this year, the 3D effects were outstanding. That said, I have to give the edge to the VX2265wm, as it is less expensive and delivers much better text performance than the iZ3D.

The VX2265wm comes with a three-year warranty, which covers the panel (backlighting), parts, and labor.

Fast frame rates and a speedy pixel response allow the ViewSonic VX2265wm to deliver smooth video and stellar 3D effects, and its color quality and small-text performance make it a good choice for everyday use as well. There's the added bonus of not having to really pay that much more than the cost of a 60-Hz monitor for the 120-Hz technology. Better all-around gaming monitors are out there, though, like the ASUS PG221 But if you want to experience 3D gaming at its best and can live without ergonomic and connectivity features, this monitor is for you.

ViewSonic FuHzion LCD VX2265wm - NY Daily News Tech Guide

Back