Monitors Viewsonic LCD monitor backlight turns off after 2-3 secs

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Skilled
Hi all,

Have been facing this issue since the past couple of days with one of my LCD monitors (Viewsonic VX1940W) which is now out of the warranty period.

The monitor's backlight goes off within a couple of seconds of me turning the monitor on. The blue coloured on/off led is still lit and by scrolling the mouse I can make out that the LCD is still working as I can faintly see objects moving up and down on the monitor. Switching off and switching on the monitor revives the backlight, but again, only for a couple of seconds.

Since the baklight turn's on, even though for a few seconds, I think it might be an issue with the power supply of the monitor.

Has anyone else faced such an issue before? What would be more economical, calling the viewsonic technician home or taking the monitor to some repair guy in nehru place? or would it be best to chuck the entire thing and buy a new monitor?

Please advice..

TIA

if its out of warranty period forget about viewsonic technicians coming to your home. i tried mailing them/ calling them, but since its out of warranty they wont respond.

Judging by the symptoms, it looks like a bad capacitor on the inverter board.

I have a similar problem where a capacitor is swollen. Cannot remove the aluminum cover to solder new one, cause they used some special aluminum tape to hold it in place.

Best option would be to go to a local lcd tv repair guy. Get a quote first else these guys seems to ask whatever they want.

I had the same issue with my viewsonic 19" widescreen.

First he had changed the inverter board. But the problem still existed. Then finally he had to change the LCD panel. I guess now my monitor is out of warranty period.

After much delay I was finally able to get the lcd monitor fixed yesterday. Apparently 2 IC's in the display's power circuit had gone bad.

Got em fixed at SS Tech, Bajaj House, NP for a sum of Rs.700

Back