Vista's Ready Boost is no match for RAM

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
After plugging in a USB 2.0 Flash memory stick into an unused USB 2.0 port, Windows Vista recognizes the new mass storage device and wants to know what to do with it. One option is to select it to improve system performance. You may limit the capacity used by ReadyBoost, or you may use the full USB 2.0 Flash device.

After successful installation, Windows Vista will use the additional storage capacity to flex its SuperFetch muscles and populate additional applications on the Flash drive. Although no USB 2.0 device offers the throughput of a fast hard drive (20-25 MB/s max for USB 2.0 Flash devices vs. 60-90 MB/s for hard drives), Flash storage shines with its literally nonexistent access times. Hard drives are slowed down considerably by the head movements required to access data. Also keep in mind the systems with little amounts of RAM: Vista can use the entire physical RAM for applications, while the ReadyBoost-enabled USB 2.0 Flash device will be used for application buffering.

The idea of utilizing existing technology (and products that probably can be found almost anywhere today) sounds appealing. But what do you do with your Vista mainstream PC? Do you buy regular DRAM or do you buy Flash memory? And if you have an existing Flash drive sitting on your desk, how much additional performance will it bring?

Read on : Analysis: Vista's Ready Boost is no match for RAM | TG Daily

Readyboost isn't meant to replace RAM anyway. You'd have to be really dumb to believe that.

I don't think Readyboost will have that much of an effect, because it is supposed to speed up swapping to/from storage, but the fact is that my total memory usage practically NEVER exceeds RAM availability.

Hey .. USB2.0 can actually do upto 480 MBps i think .. that'd be great if u can get the proper type of memory to utilize it ... that'd be a great replacement for the pagefile on the harddisk ..

deathvirus_me said:
Hey .. USB2.0 can actually do upto 480 MBps i think .. that'd be great if u can get the proper type of memory to utilize it ... that'd be a great replacement for the pagefile on the harddisk ..

thats the theorical speed ... the fastest usb flash drives available today can't go beyond 30MBps (240Mbps)

mehargags said:
bullshit concept

I think it is a wonderful concept for people who have less then 1 gb of ram, i myself have 2gb so this function is useless, but for those running on less, it can be a great tool in improving functionality... :hap2:

Back