W-Networking setup for a non techie

net

Disciple
Hi,

I have got 4 machines, 1 Desktop and 3 laptops, Internet works on only 1 machine at a time because i have a wired broadband and an ADSL model.

3 of my laptops are having built in Wifi cards, but all 3 are different makes laptops, Does it matter?
1. Dell 17 inch 2. Lenovo 14 inch 3. Acer 10 inch.

All 4 machines use Windows XP SP2.

I want a solution that my desktops gets connected to the internet all the time and attached to the ADSL line, But desktop do not have a Wifi card yet, and any of my 3 Laptops can use internet without any trouble using their built in Wifi cards.

Please suggest me what Do i need? I guess I can do it like this, Connect Internet/Adsl to desktop and then connect desktop to a wireless router, and then configure all 3 laptops with that wireless router? Is this the correct topology? I have no idea about what kind of hardware is used and what kind of settings to be used. Masters Please pop in to the thread, and i will be really appreiating your all guidance and time.

Get a wireless router hook it up to the ADSL modem .Any wireless router will also have an option to connect through wire,just hook up the desktop through wire.You can connect all the laptops through wireless.

Make of the laptop does not matter for connecting through wireless :)

Thanks for replying.

I like to know if there's a system of making a server/client system? if i add modem with w-router, then only turning on modem always will give internet to router and access to all the laptops?

OP why do u need client and server thingy :S.All u need to do is just get a Wifi router off market get it hooked to ur ADSL modem and you are good to go .

PS: Have a strong WEP /WPA key protection.This feature is inbuilt in all routers

@net
Upgrade your OS to Windows XP SP3 and use WPA2 encryption on your wi-fi router.

WPA2 with AES encryption is much more secure than WPA/WEP.
Windows XP SP2 did not have support for WPA2 as it was not available when SP2 was released.

net said:
Thanks for replying.

I like to know if there's a system of making a server/client system? if i add modem with w-router, then only turning on modem always will give internet to router and access to all the laptops?

Yes just the modem and the router need to be switched on and you will be able to access internet from any laptop wirelessly. :)

varkey said:
Yes just the modem and the router need to be switched on and you will be able to access internet from any laptop wirelessly. :)

The modem will have to be on Auto-Connect mode(PPPoE mode) though.
Insert the broadband username and password in the modem configuration page and from next time, whenever the modem is switched on, the modem gets connected automatically. No need to dial anything.

Oh Good, I am thankful for the enlightenment guys.

Well its good idea to use it as saved user/pass in modem config, I never knew it was possible.

I dont have a budget in mind, i guess it can be done in a 2.5k router?

About sp3? Isnt it a trouble some to upgrade the OS? I have never experienced it and 2 of my systems have illegal copies of OS.

If you stretch your budget by a little bit, you can go in for an entry-level wireless N router, Linksys WRT120N or WRT160N, else stick with the WRT54G2.

For best perfomance, you'll need to configure your ADSL modem in bridge mode and enable PPPoE authentication on the router. Not as complicated as it sounds! Anyway, once you do purchase the router, you can post back here and I'm sure someone will help you with the configuration.

As far as wireless security is concerned, WPA2-AES is the recommended choice. All your wireless computers should be running anything upwards of WinXP SP3. Vista and 7 have no problems with WPA2. Of course, the wireless adapters should support it to, which shouldn't really be a problem because most recent built-in adapters in laptops have no issues. Just make sure the drivers are updated to the latest.

Hi, I got a belkin wireless G router from futurebazaar in just Rs 710, as i had a 500 off coupon for a previous delayed delivery. Is this a good router? I have got it now and ready to setup things.

I know how to save login/pass in modem setup area. And what should I do after I have connected my adsl modem with router? I have disabled the wlan cards in all my laptops, shoild i turn them on and they will auto recognise the wlan?

Back