want adsl modem router with dd wrt support

yjain18

Disciple
currently I am having to link 740n router for my hathway connection.

now I am,moving for BSNL broadband connection and Dont want their modem..

so looking for good adsl modem router with DD wrt support. Looking for the cheapest option with 300mbps speed..

or should I go with adsl modem only with ddwrt n use tplink as a router..

suggestions pls..
open to online shopping

DD-WRT doesn't really support ADSL modem chipsets. You might be able to install it on the modem, but then you might actually lose the modem functionality.

Your only option is to buy a cheap ADSL modem plus a router which supports DD-WRT.

currently I am having to link 740n router for my hathway connection.

now I am,moving for BSNL broadband connection and Dont want their modem..

so looking for good adsl modem router with DD wrt support. Looking for the cheapest option with 300mbps speed..

or should I go with adsl modem only with ddwrt n use tplink as a router..

suggestions pls..
open to online shopping

Like the above poster said, there are no devices at present which can run DD WRT and run the ADSL connection directly. You may verify the same at the DDWRT site database as well.

You can however, control your PPPOE/ ADSL connection via DD WRT if you use your ADSL router in a bridge mode i.e. it will bring the link up, but the authentication can be handled by the DD WRT device, this is a complex scenario for most people, and is redundant as well, since you may as well as use the ADSL router to set up the complete connection.

You can however, control your PPPOE/ ADSL connection via DD WRT if you use your ADSL router in a bridge mode i.e. it will bring the link up, but the authentication can be handled by the DD WRT device, this is a complex scenario for most people, and is redundant as well, since you may as well as use the ADSL router to set up the complete connection.
Its actually quite easy. I believe this method is better if you're toying with custom DNS servers and if you need to monitor DSL link status (if you're unable to access the modem page directly). Port forwarding is supposedly easier this way too.

ohh..what high level things u r talking Abt I dint get any...just got that adsl doesnt support DD wrt.. I am not tachy n also Dont wanna go there... Can I use my tplink wr740n router only for DD wrt..or do I need another...

(DD wrt is mostly downloading files(torrents) without pc ON na????)

ohh..what high level things u r talking Abt I dint get any...just got that adsl doesnt support DD wrt.. I am not tachy n also Dont wanna go there... Can I use my tplink wr740n router only for DD wrt..or do I need another...

DD WRT is a linux based third party firmware which enables some extra features and advanced functionality in supported routers. Every DD WRT supported routers could not download torrent files.
Asus RT-N13U is the cheapest router which supports torrent downloading functionality. Buy it if you want torrent downloading support within your router. But I don't think that you would be able to setup DD WRT to download torrents yourself since it is a very complex process. In that case you would have to take help from a Techy friend who could do it for you.

Visit this thread to see the process: http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/asus-rt-n13u-b1-dd-wrt-thread.113137/

Last edited:

its much more. using my huawei hg556a and openWrt I've made an mp3 music player with a usb sound card; a jabber chatting server; ftp server; and obviously the torrent client.
I plan to next make an email server :)

The idea of using OpenWrt or DD-Wrt is told/shared as a firmware when they are almost full-fledged operating systems themselves. What has happened (right under our noses too) that the humble router which used to be just for routing packets from one end to the other has now enough RAM/memory that a slim OS like OpenWrt/DD-Wrt can be run on top of it. The idea of torrenting or/and everything else as shared by nimod (as an example) is you tie the router with either an SSD or an external USB HDD and you can run anything on the memory of the router and if enough not space is available then take some space from the SSD/USB HDD as swap/additional memory and do whatever you want.

The idea behind this is to save power. Running an SSD or USB HDD with a router should use much less power as well as less complexity than a PC as lot of functionality that a PC needs is not needed in the above scenario.

I hope this gives a bit more understanding on the subject.

Back