PC Peripherals Want to buy a good 2.1 Speaker System

Skeletor

Disciple
I want to buy a good 2.1 speaker system for 5-6k. Budget can be stretched a little bit if a good system is not available in this range. I have checked a few threads here, and they recommended Altec Lansing MX5021 in most cases. But i have heard that it has a hissing sound coming from the amplifier.

Though the set is good, i found a lot of negative comments on some reviewing sites related to the hissing noise and lack of bass.

I found another system from Altec Lansing named CS21. It seems to be a powerful set too. ITdepot site says that its cost is 6k. Is it good?

I'm also getting the Logiteck Z4 for about the same price. The subwoofer of this set looks sumptuous. Many review sites rate it 9/10. Is it a good alternative?

And finally, there is another Altec Lansing FX 4021. It has a big unique subwoofer. Is it worth it?

Please help me choose a good speaker set. :)

Gulp, I was abt to suggest the Altec Lansing MX5021... :( U've found some flaw but then not all things're perfect in all aspects...

Altec Lansing FX 4021 is a good choice as well with a mighty sub... :)

Sadly the ATP3 doesn fall into ur category else I'd hav suggested tat...

Go and take a look at MX 5021 at a showroom or smthing ... i been using the set for abt a year now and nothing like a noticable hissing sound ...

even my frnds who have taken a look at the set have been mighty impressed and swear by the set ...

U wd be doing a silly mistake by rejecting the set without a proper audition .. and importantly .. the set wd be phased out soon ... the company has not been supplying the model in US and the obvious reason that i can think of is that this set has not allowed other sets to be even considered ...

TheIndian said:
I had suggest some bose speakers, they are 2.0 .. but hear them before you say no

here we go again :rofl:

but he has a point, give them a listen so that you can say that you werent prejudiced :D

Skeletor said:
.... Blah ....

And finally, there is another Altec Lansing FX 4021. It has a big unique subwoofer. Is it worth it?

Can you highlight what is unique about it?

And as greenhorn said - listen to the Bose - if nothing else you can drool over everything else in the shop and come back :eek:hyeah:

Well, the Altec lansing site says tht the FX4021 has dual 5.25" drivers in an isobaric sub..ie. thr r two woofers in a single cabinet that are positioned to deliver deeper bass in half the space....

Maybe thts what he is calling 'unique'.....:p Cant say for sure though..:p

Btw, does it really help to have such a design or is it just marketing gimmick?

Private Ryan said:
Well, the Altec lansing site says tht the FX4021 has dual 5.25" drivers in an isobaric sub..ie. thr r two woofers in a single cabinet that are positioned to deliver deeper bass in half the space....

Maybe thts what he is calling 'unique'.....:p Cant say for sure though..:p

Btw, does it really help to have such a design or is it just marketing gimmick?

Oh I have read about this design, it was first introduced by some company that makes only Bass speakers, it does seem to work for them, but no one else was really able to implement it, guess Altec found a way to do that.

Edit: EarthquakeSound

Isobaric subs don't lower the Fs or any such thing, so 'deeper bass' is not the result of such a configuration (unless you use EQ in the sub crossover, but nobody does that much stuff in a commercial design below a few thousand dollars anyway).

The main advantages (if they are correctly designed) is that they double the power handling and cut the internal volume (~size) to half that required for a single driver.

The reason it is not done is because it essentially requires two drivers, and wood is cheaper than drivers anyway. The isobaric configuration has been around for 30 years, there's nothing new about it and if a company tells you they introduced it, I would stay far away from buying anything that company produced, as it's a lie.

To the OP: I've been using the MX5021 and have some comments on it in another thread.

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/anyone-got-anything-negative-say-about-98456.html

A search would've helped out.

In any case, I find them satisfactory. I cannot hear the hissing that you allude to, and as is reported it is only at full volume. At that level you'd anyway be scraping the remains of your ears off the floor, and the hissing is probably you'll ever hear anyway after that.

Also note that soundcards put out a lot of spurious noise, and the MX could be amplifying it.

after selling my mx5021 3 months ago, i got myself another pair for various reasons (dont like it now) and can say that the hissing is very barely audible only with volume and treble at full.

sangram said:
I cannot hear the hissing that you allude to, and as is reported it is only at full volume. At that level you'd anyway be scraping the remains of your ears off the floor, and the hissing is probably you'll ever hear anyway after that.

:rofl: :rofl:

Seriously dude, if u have the money, get the MX5021..thts the best bang for the buck...

Btw, on of my friend's has an Altec CS21..Its a 110 watts system..(thts 20 watts more than the MX5021) n i can say for sure tht the powerful 50 watts sub packs in a lot of punch and the 30 watts channel(a tweeter n 3" full range driver) have a gr8 high n mid range performance...and at 6k, its a gr8 deal...:D

Private Ryan said:
:rofl: :rofl:
Seriously dude, if u have the money, get the MX5021..thts the best bang for the buck...
Btw, on of my friend's has an Altec CS21..Its a 110 watts system..(thts 20 watts more than the MX5021) n i can say for sure tht the powerful 50 watts sub packs in a lot of punch and the 30 watts channel(a tweeter n 3" full range driver) have a gr8 high n mid range performance...and at 6k, its a gr8 deal...:D

Wattss .. hmmm

No one seems to be paying attention to sensitivity and THD - maybe some of the experts could throw light on these two things .

TheIndian said:
Wattss .. hmmm

No one seems to be paying attention to sensitivity and THD - maybe some of the experts could throw light on these two things .

Please explain..:p Does the CS21 have more harmonic distortion than the MX5021??

So which speaker should i buy? The CS21 has more power than the MX5021. Will it be a good buy? It costs 1.5k less than the mx5021. It also has got good ratings at many site. But i'm still not sure as there are very few reviews of that set.
Does anybody here have the CS21? Pls give me a small review if u have it.

Private Ryan said:
Please explain..:p Does the CS21 have more harmonic distortion than the MX5021??

The experts should be handling THD and sensitivity - we mortals stick to watts , RMS , PMPO .. and such simple stuff. :eek:hyeah:

The ratings of all altec lansing speakers are at 10% THD so they are very unrealistic. However how loud a speaker gets would completely be dependent on the sensitivity of the drivers. No data is provided and hence nothing can be inferred.

Back