Want to buy weight plates from my home..

r19

Disciple
In Chennai. I can't find much online. Nothing much, just around 20kg. I can't carry it myself as I'd need a vehicle, and even if I took an auto the driver would ask for 500rs. Any suggestions?

Check amazon and flipkart.

1652698319484.png

They're mostly PVC plates which don't seem to be good. They don't have cheap small rubber plates. I'll have another look.

As for sports shops, the shop which is near to my home is asking 90rs per kg for iron plates, and the one which is far is asking 90rs per kg for rubber coated plates. There're other things to worry about too like the paint coming off..

Get it from Ajmal Gym Equipments. Best place in Chennai to buy Gym equipments. Price is also very reasonable and quality products. It is near Moore market nearby Central Metro.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/WjH3CxAcQ9JVT...
Thanks! It's quite near to the shop I was considering before.

Moore market is your best bet for cheap gym equipment.
Packing and carrying everything might be a hassle, but I'll consider it again.

I don't know what's in your locality but how much weight are looking to buy? Iron or rubber plates?
Nothing much. Around 40kgs (in 2.5 - 10kg plates) and a rod. Just to supplement bodyweight training.

I don't know which one to buy. I don't want to buy iron plates if they make noise while I move the barbell. I had some rubber coated plates long ago, but the pain started coming off..

Iron and rubber plates solve different problems. One is not necessarily better than the other. Iron plates are dense so you can load bar with more weights. Rubber plates can be silent and don't break the floor.

Plates and the bar have a standard length/diameter/weight if you care for that. And such weights with standard dimensions are inter compatible. However, such weights will cost you more than the annual fee of your nearby good gym.

If you go with non-standard dimensions weights (the ones you see on amazon/flipkart) then make sure you get plates, bar, collar which are compatible with each other rather come as set. Non-standard weights may be okay for beginners but they will hinder the progress in the long run.

If you buying about 40kg weights then you can bring it using ola/uber.

Iron and rubber plates solve different problems. One is not necessarily better than the other. Iron plates are dense so you can load bar with more weights. Rubber plates can be silent and don't break the floor.

Plates and the bar have a standard length/diameter/weight if you care for that. And such weights with standard dimensions are inter compatible. However, such weights will cost you more than the annual fee of your nearby good gym.

If you go with non-standard dimensions weights (the ones you see on amazon/flipkart) then make sure you get plates, bar, collar which are compatible with each other rather come as set. Non-standard weights may be okay for beginners but they will hinder the progress in the long run.

If you buying about 40kg weights then you can bring it using ola/uber.

Thanks. I can't find any good ones on amazon/fk so I think I'll go and buy them tomorrow and bring them home using OLA. I'll just buy the cheaper ones.

I think Decathlon also sells Barbell and Weights. Their stuff is also good quality. You can go and check out the quality at their store and then order online for home delivery.

I ended up buying a 5 ft rod(1k) and some rubber plates for now. I needed some weights to supplement bodyweight training, so around 40kgs is enough, and I don't need it for a long time. I just went to the sports shops at Wallajah road. The prices were similar / lower to the wholesale like shop that one of the users linked above. Rubber coated iron plates were ~150rs/kg and rubber plates were ~60rs/kg. I didn't ask the price of iron plates as I thought they'd make noise, but they should be around 70rs/kg. BTW, I also checked out IndiaMart and the manufacturers sell rubber coated iron at ~90-120rs/kg and the minimum order is from 100-200kg. Just putting this here if someone checks this thread and is interested.

I think I'll buy hand iron plates the next time I go to buy. I hope the rubber plates don't start shedding paint.

Last edited:
Can you weigh the plates and update?
Sorry for the late reply. It seems this post didn't come in my notifications. Actually, I didn't noticed in the shop, but the rubber plates smell way too much. I also have problems with strong smells. They were definitely made from cheap recycled rubber. Also were leaving marks on the floor. The amazon reviews for rubber plates paint a similar picture, but I couldn't understand it before going as the shopkeeper had listed it as 'rubberized' and not rubber plates. Indian Youtube was as usual of little help. Also, the shop in the youtube link above is kind of scammy, as you can probably guess from the paid-ish reviews. Seemed like old plates and the price was between new and wholesale.

I sold those plates and bought iron plates. They're probably inaccurate but it's ok. They seem to be second hand too as some paint is wearing off and the paint may be toxic. The iron plates don't make a lot of noise in motion, but of course I can't keep them directly on the floor. They make some noise when the bar is rotated.

I don't know how the rubber coated steering wheel plates are. Maybe they're made from good rubber. Do check if the plates smell or leave a residue on your fingers when you rub them.

Polyutherane(PU rubber?) coated plates shouldn't smell at all, but I don't know how to distinguish them or where to find them. Not sure if the shopkeeper would know too.

Also, the nuts of my old pullup bar got loose and I need to buy a new one. I want to buy something that can take heavier weights and is stable, but the ones on Amazon are too long for my door frame(65cm) and I don't feel like drilling...

Ok, late update but the barbell is rusted already and the green paint on the plates is coming off too much. Anyone knows if it contains lead? Is there anything I can do about it that's not throwing away or something two laborious?

Back