Monitors Want to upgrade to LCD monitor with HDMI port

colors6

Disciple
Hi,

Can anyone suggest what is the best way to go about exchanging my 3 year old 19" LCD LG Monitor to a new LCD Monitor which has HDMI Port?

I want to get the HDMI option as I am going to get an apple tv and it only seems to play nice with monitors with HDMI port.

Is there a place in delhi area which will give me a decent price for my 3 year old LCD monitor?

Also can anyone recommend a good LCD monitor with HDMI Port In 7000 range??

Not sure if a display retailing for around 7k would have an HDMI port. You can get any display that has a DVI port and get a suitable converter. Converters retail for as cheap as 300~500 Rs. and there is absolutely no degradation in the PQ.

devesh38 said:
by mistake mentioned g2220HD... its E2220 which has HDMI option.

Top 5 Full-HD LCD Monitors < Best LCD Monitors with latest features, specifications, prices and comparison < PC World Top 5 < PC World.in

but u can always buy an HDMI to DVI convertor. And picture quality will be exactly same as that of HDMI.

does your current monitor have DVI connector..?
The model of my current LCD monitor is - LG L194WT-BF

There is a DVI-D connector at the back. Is this the one??

So, I will need to buy DVI to HDMI convertor along with HDMI cable?? The convertor will have option for audio as well?

Got any suggestions for a Good convertor?

yes thats the same DVI port i was talking about.

You just need a HDMI to DVI connector now. For audio u need to tap it out from audio ports or have a connector HDMI to DVI + Audio out. Just check whether audio ports get disabled when HDMI connector is plugged in.

devesh38 said:
yes thats the same DVI port i was talking about.

You just need a HDMI to DVI connector now. For audio u need to tap it out from audio ports or have a connector HDMI to DVI + Audio out. Just check whether audio ports get disabled when HDMI connector is plugged in.
My LCD monitor does not have audio ports. So, I need to make sure to get an HDMI convert that has audio out as well?

if u have only DVI ports in monitor u wont have audio out option in the monitor. I was talking about the analog audio ports on the apple TV...

devesh38 said:
if u have only DVI ports in monitor u wont have audio out option in the monitor. I was talking about the analog audio ports on the apple TV...
The 2nd gen. Apple tv has something called optical audio port. I think it's different than normal audio 3.5mm ports.

Any idea how to connect from this "optical audio" port to my normal speakers?

Re: HDMI converter I found this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.in/HDMI-DVI-D-DUAL-...6?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item35b2390c06

Will this converter do the job for my video needs at least?

Optical audio ports are used for the transmission of digital audio signals via an optical fiber cable. Digital audio signals are primarily intended to transmit stereo, Dolby D and DTS signals to a DAC, speaker system or an AVR that accepts optical audio inputs and can process these signals.

Read more here - TOSLINK - Wiki

Gannu said:
Optical audio ports are used for the transmission of digital audio signals via an optical fiber cable. Digital audio signals are primarily intended to transmit stereo, Dolby D and DTS signals to a DAC, speaker system or an AVR that accepts optical audio inputs and can process these signals.

Read more here - TOSLINK - Wiki
So the normal 250 rupees computer small speakers will not be able to take audio from optical audio port, right?

Is there a converter available for connecting to normal analog computer speakers?

Edit - this audio stuff is making me think I may need to get a new LCD monitor with HDMI option after all. Will HDMI option mean that audio will be there in monitor and it will come from HDMI cable itself?

stevejobs said:
So the normal 250 rupees computer small speakers will not be able to take audio from optical audio port, right?

Is there a converter available for connecting to normal analog computer speakers?
No they cannot be. You require a DAC which can convert these digital signals into analog ones so you could connect your speakers.

Just curious but do you have a 2nd gen. ATV or the 1st gen.?

Gannu said:
No they cannot be. You require a DAC which can convert these digital signals into analog ones so you could connect your speakers.

Just curious but do you have a 2nd gen. ATV or the 1st gen.?
Dac means digital audio converter, right? Can I get them in india? eBay india maybe? Got a link?

I am going to buy apple tv 2nd gen ( latest one with no storage). Before I buy it, I want to make sure I have the hardware to support it. :)

Yeah you can. What sort of budget do you have? Asking this because entry level DACs do not have the optical input but the coaxial input.

Gannu said:
Yeah you can. What sort of budget do you have? Asking this because entry level DACs do not have the optical input but the coaxial input.
I have a budget of 500 rupees.

By coaxial input you mean the red, white cables that connect to traditional TVs?

Wow that's too low a budget for a DAC! Heck, even a decent optical cable costs as much as 300~500 Rs. :p

Your best bet is an LCD that gives you all the ports you need with a 3.5mm audio out.

Consider this one:

BenQ India | Products - LCD MonitorsSeries - E Series - E2220HD

It seems to have everything one can ask for and a decent price as well. Costs 8k and thereabouts. Sell your present LCD and get this one.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

By coaxial input, I meant the RCA connector. Digital signals are widely transmitted using one of these - optical (toslink), coaxial and USB. Ofc HDMI and Display Port as well supports transmission of audio with video signals and supports some of the advanced formats as well.

Coaxial inputs make it to cheaper DACs. Like the uDAC for instance. It costs like ~4-4.5k and has a coaxial input in addition to the USB input.

Back