Washing machine spin problem

6pack

ex-Mod
I have a really old Samsun top load wm. From past 2 times, I'm hearing a lot of noise like the tub is not balanced properly during spin cycle only. The wash cycle completes properly. During spin cycle, the machine gradually increases speed in normal operation. Now it goes to medium speed and starts wobbling and stops when the wobbling gets too much. I've already balanced the machine using a spirit level on the inner tub.

I'm guessing something has gone wrong. So should I call samsung repair or local person? I'm worried about the company ripping me off telling lies about what actually is wrong with the machine and make me spend on PCB or spend on a new machine.

I have a really old Samsun top load wm.
How old is the machine?
From past 2 times, I'm hearing a lot of noise like the tub is not balanced properly during spin cycle only. The wash cycle completes properly. During spin cycle, the machine gradually increases speed in normal operation. Now it goes to medium speed and starts wobbling and stops when the wobbling gets too much. I've already balanced the machine using a spirit level on the inner tub.

I'm guessing something has gone wrong. So should I call samsung repair or local person? I'm worried about the company ripping me off telling lies about what actually is wrong with the machine and make me spend on PCB or spend on a new machine.
Call the Sammy guy first as he has access to genuine spares and then post what he said and the repair cost. If you understand the potential causes of the problem then lying will be harder.

There are two possibilities

1) The wobble might be caused by a failing shock or two which is not too expensive to fix as it's not too difficult to do. See this video to get an idea. This is the most common reason for excessive wobble with top loaders that are old so standard repair job. If you can ensure he uses genuine parts instead of generics then the fix will last longer.

2)The spindle and drum support have got worn and this wobble problem will only get worse with time and eventually damage the tub as well.

The problem or what I think has happened is explained here but he does a DIY solution since he cannot get Panasonic spares in S.Africa. Of course, this guy was running his consumer-grade top loader in a commercial capacity and it broke within five years. I think this type of problem is unlikely in a domestic scenario unless the machine is nearing twenty years of age or has been used excessively with heavy loads on an almost daily basis.

Last edited:
Samsung wants me to upload invoice but I don't have it. Bought it in 2008/9. In that video, around 19 minutes when the wm starts wobbling, mine is even more than that. Like literally hitting the side walls of the wm even on an empty load.

I thought maybe it's the spring balance rods, but the drum stays straight by itself. Else it would have leaned to one side.

If it's the same problem in that video, I'm getting a new one. No use doing all that for a couple extra washes before it fails again. Probably I'll get a front loader this time if I can get this exchanged for some discount.

I thought maybe it's the spring balance rods, but the drum stays straight by itself. Else it would have leaned to one side.
If one is weaker the balance will be off but the drum will still hold. You will have to replace all four rods
If it's the same problem in that video, I'm getting a new one. No use doing all that for a couple extra washes before it fails again. Probably I'll get a front loader this time if I can get this exchanged for some discount.
Get a Sammy repair guy to look at it first. I don't see the point of an invoice for a machine that has long been out of warranty.

Which is better? repair cost of 5k or replacement cost of 30k

Top loaders are cheaper to maintain.

People always crib about repairs as underlined by the bolded bit. Who says it will and so soon? If it does it was not fixed properly in the first place.

I'm fine even up to 50% of the purchase cost if it means I can put off a replacement by some more years.

Last edited:
I went to samsung website and it was a bit complicated, because samsung offloaded their service to some whatsapp bot. It told me to watch a video which was about proper balancing of a washing machine macine and if that didnt help it gave a link for their online customer care which is like zero. Searched the website trying to book an appoinoment and gave up. Got email address of local service center and sent an email asking them if they do home visit since my house is just a km away from them. AI took away the low end jobs I see.

I tried their WhatsApp service for something else and got connected to someone. The interaction was text chat. Why not ask them on whatsapp and insist they send someone

You cannot fix this yourself

Yeah, I'm not trying to fix it myself. I called on the toll free number and the pixel phone speaker is too quiet. I'm hard of hearing now too. Can't hear shit. And the damn bt earphones is charging from hours. It has just a few hundred milli amp battery. Been 4 hours ago and still no sign of the red light going away. Bally thing seems to think it has a 10000 milliamp battery. (⁠╯⁠°⁠□⁠°⁠)⁠╯⁠︵⁠ ⁠┻⁠━⁠┻

Suspension gone and no samsung original parts because it's too old. Aftermarket parts are around 1200/-.

Edit: tried with new rods and it was still shaking violently. Ended up asking him to open the pulsator to see what the situation was and the triangle part is almost corroded out about 3/4 way. Decided to junk it.

In market for new wm now.

Last edited:
Generics mean have to match to the weight of the machine. See the reviews. That is why it was still shaking

Edit: tried with new rods and it was still shaking violently. Ended up asking him to open the pulsator to see what the situation was and the triangle part is almost corroded out about 3/4 way. Decided to junk it.
Can you post a photo of it?

How much to replace that triangle.

First I hear about a top loader spider getting corroded

Last edited:
Image3901302414101682775.jpg

Not of my machine but identical. The machine is closed now. I was holding the lid so got grease on my fingers and didn't want to smear my phone with grease to take a photo. That red circled part is corroded. At first he thought it was lint or dust, and poked it with a screwdriver and there was a depression in the metal. So he cleaned a bit and it was just holes with white particles coming out.
He said it's attached to steel drum so can't change it.

Ah, so the groove has corroded and it will be off balance. A combination of shocks and the groove. That is how a top loader dies.

I forgot to factor in the corrosion of the spider due to the age. It's aluminium and will wear with time.

Surprised to hear the spider is attached to the drum because none of the Japanese top loaders are like that.

You got 14 years out of it so can't complain I suppose.

So what next?

Last edited:
You got 14 years out of it so can't complain I suppose.

So what next?

Yes, 14 years of trouble free operation. Let it rest in peace.

I am thinking of getting a top loader again. Balcony has just about 58cm exact width. Doubt a front loader will fit in that tiny space.

The LG FL's I recommend are 60cm in width. If you have a cm of clearance you might be able to fit one in

Get a measuring tape and go to the shops and measure the LG's
I am thinking of getting a top loader again. Balcony has just about 58cm exact width. Doubt a front loader will fit in that tiny space.
Ya, that's not going to work for a front loader then :(

Last edited:
Back