Storage Solutions WD BLACK/RED Or Seagate Internal HDD(2tb or 3 tb)

MAGNeT

Skilled
Well finally one of my hdd died a day ago.
Unfortunately it was my dumping drive and the biggest one 1.5tb.
I cant recall when i bought this but it states recertified and surely it looks like 1tb old drive was rma and i got this.Unfortunately that bill doesnt carry much details about drive serial but fortunately this drive is under warranty upto 2015.So i will surely give it for RMA.
I lost most of my movies collection and everything like study materials and tons of pdfs article.
Now coming to the point.
I need to get a bigger drive atleast 2tb.
I have certain old blue wd and some are still working even though one is 500gb and 2007 year manufactured.But all my failed disc are wd green.So this time staying away from green one.
I can go upto 10k .WD Red 3 TB is available for something at 10.5k but ultimately its the warranty which is 3 years and since i can get 5years wd black at almost similar rate though 2 TB i might go for it as this 1.5tb might rejoin the system after say a month or two.And warranty is more important as it confirms tability hence higher support.

Now i am confused that flipkart mentions warranty as carry in for WD.So i wanted to confirm some doubts.

1::Is wd warranty carry in or onsite(One pack it and they collect it via courier)?Flipkart says wd is carry in.

2:How is Seagate support in India(mumbai)?I dumped them around 2006 after some long queue wait at their saki naka office at accel?Is it still carry-in?

3: Doesn't wd 3Tb black available here?I cant see them here at primeabgb site or theitwares or flipkart?

Since its hdd i am open to buy from where i get cheaper and much less travel hassle to avoid DOA scene.

Last edited:
1. It's onsite
2. In November I had accidentally visited Seagate's service centre in Tardeo, Mumbai Central managed by Accel Frontline and there were approx 25-30 people waiting for their turn.

Even I am contemplating buying some HDDs and would like to ask some questions.
I am thinking of purchasing a Vantec Nexstar HX4 which is basically a HDD dock which can hold 4 HDDs and has a fan and it's own power. The only reason I can see for not going this way is that internal HDDs come with a 2 years warranty whereas external ones come with 3 years warranty.
For example -
1) Seagate 4TB Internal - 12k.
2) Seagate 4TB External - 13250.
3) WD 4TB Black (5 yrs warranty) - 19.5k

I really want the cool looking and easy to manage solution like the Nexstar HX4 but the costs for a 16TB setup will be the same as buying 4x4TB external drives and with the externals I get more warranty and probably better resale value.

Nexstar HX4 capable of NAS ? If so then I guess it is a good choice. 16TB available across network.

No, not capable of NAS. The only advantage it has over external drives is that if I need to connect all 4 drives to the computer, I only require one power outlet and 1 USB port instead of 4.

I also don't need NAS as I only have one laptop in my house.

I feel here it depends on either extra warranty of a year or neat/convenient/easy storage. Convenience might be subjective here.

I feel here it depends on either extra warranty of a year or neat/convenient/easy storage. Convenience might be subjective here.

Yeah I know. But does it make sense to buy the Black edition for nearly 160% price of the normal one for it's 5 years warranty or buy the normal ones only and use RAID for data protection. I currently have around 7 TB of data and it can only reach a max of 10TB by the end of this year.
Also these drives won't see much usage. I will mostly use it for storing data only as I already have a 960GB SSD on my laptop and the hard disks will only be used to transfer the data from the laptop once in a few months when it gets filled up.

I was in same confusion of getting WD Blue/Red or WD Black almost 10 months ago. Warranty premium of Black drives did not click me though I was inclined towards Black. Finally bought Red one.

How much more expensive are the WD Red over normal drives and do they come with a 3 yrs warranty. I can't find prices online.
Also, like I said, do I really need that extra protection because those drives will only be used like once a month.

My usage will be max once or twice a month. So I guess I will stick with normal drives as those can be bought for around 12k for a 4TB drive.

External drives would be more suited to your usage.

Actually I am also looking for new storage as Data Dump drive, so have been searching around. Confused between Internal and external HDDs, since I saw this Samsung 3TB external USB3.0 disk available at 9K on Snapdeal. Thats hardly any difference to the 8.5K you would pay for a WD Green Internal 3TB and the Samsung has 3 years warranty as opposed to the 2-years of the WD Greens(or is it 1 year? don't remember:confused:).

Any Samsung ext HDD users out here, please help with your opinions on their performance and ASS.

External drives would be more suited to your usage.

Actually I am also looking for new storage as Data Dump drive, so have been searching around. Confused between Internal and external HDDs, since I saw this Samsung 3TB external USB3.0 disk available at 9K on Snapdeal. Thats hardly any difference to the 8.5K you would pay for a WD Green Internal 3TB and the Samsung has 3 years warranty as opposed to the 2-years of the WD Greens(or is it 1 year? don't remember:confused:).

Any Samsung ext HDD users out here, please help with your opinions on their performance and ASS.

Yeah I know externals are much better because of extra warranty and price difference being negligible. The only problem I have in keeping 4 external drives is having to hold on to their boxes and accessories and that if I want to connect them to my laptop together, I can't and I do move my data from one hard disk to another so it would be really nice if I could just use one slot for all 4 together. Let's see whether I choose the practical option or go all insane.

accel service center @ sakinaka is not crowded if u go after 5 they keep open till 6.30
If Wd offers home collection service why would i prefer seagate unless they offer something astonishing like 5 years warranty.
So what did you guys buy finally?
I m still confused its not that green gave up so early.But i am still deciding whether to get red or black since i feel ill settle for 3 tb and 15k for black with 5 years is more worth or 3tb of red worth 10k is more worth with less warranty of 3 years.I feel like settling down with BLACK as in next 5 years i am pretty sure cloud service will be much usefull and than only HDD will remain just for movie storage purpose or might be CAS system itself upgrades itself that one can ask movie on demand via some cloud at much cheaper rate..

I wasnt proving any of your facts, what i was trying to put forward is usually a backup is stored in 3 locations, and if its really crucial, more than this method is surely to be thought about. If data is too crucial and not being accessed on a regular basis its better to implement a RAID 1 backup methodology.

Coming to the numbers, getting a single 3TB drive is at 10K is an expensive affair may be, rather have them in 1TB and implement RAID 1 or 5 (min 3HDD, fault tolerance of 1 Drive), Atleast your data is somewhat more safer than having the entire collection in a 3 or 4TB config as a single drive.

Even still having more than one backup solution is a better option.

Back