Storage Solutions WD Blue M.2 SSD Win 10 update Firmware, Help !!!

Skyh3ck

Adept
Hello Friends

I have M.2 WD Blue SSD installed in my laptop, windows 10 is installed in this SSD.

In WD dashboard software it showing as Firmware update is required. i clicked on the update firmware button from the software, but the update fails.

Can you guys please help me how can i update the firmware,

do i have to install windows 10 on other drive and then update, please help me what am i missing, this is the first time i am updating firmware on ssd, please see attached image
1.PNG

Looks like you have an option to create a bootable drive with the firmware image. I'd go with that option. Else download the firmware file manually and select the last option, i.e., update using file on my computer.

For the bootable drive option to become enabled, plug in a usb flash drive first.

thanks, but i am not able to find the firmware file on WD site, they only have Dashboard download option.

if i create bootable drive, will i loose data on my ssd, windows 10 is installed on it, and what steps i should follow

If this firmware update is not going to change anything, ignore for now. Probably, this is an issue from their side (either wrong file is pushed or push mechanism is broken). wait it out.

if i create bootable drive, will i loose data on my ssd, windows 10 is installed on it, and what steps i should follow
You should not. However it is best to create a backup image just in case things go wrong. Use the WD version of Acronis to create the image on an empty drive. There are also other free alternatives you can look up which does the same job.

Steps will be somewhat like this: plug in a USB flash drive, open the WD dashboard, and click on create USB drive option.

Usually data isn't lost but for those just in case scenarios its better to backup. But its like finding another equally sized drive for backing up. Either an extra expense or if you got additional spare drive then you are saved!

Back