Storage Solutions Wd external HDD vs Your own custom build external hdd

I am using Trancend External Casing, which of excellent build quality, Main Advantage is My computer has eSATA support, which is 100% worth paying extra cost towards;

1. speed

2. I can using external hdd as secondary os to boot from it and work.

I am Ubuntu os in external hdd (270gb out of 640), from which i boot and store part of important data in Linux partition for Virus. Rest of the hdd is NTFS partition.

harmeetmatta said:
Ok..now i m in a state of dilemma...i hv read some really good reviews regardin Wd external 3.5 1 tb hdd..and some places the worst ....like the smartware soft is resource hoggin software...doesnt allow to transfer files easily and pops up everytime the drive is connected...

if you dont want to use smartware you can turn that off after firmware update. it wont pop up when u connect the device

harmeetmatta said:
wd external 1 tb is not plug nd play..in d snse u don see the hdd as a new drive like u see for the pendrive ...is this true ??
also wd hdd die up quickly these days...read some previous posts in d forum....is this with external also ?

you can use it as plug and play just update it to latest firmware and turn off smartware it will only show up as new drive. i m using 1tb external and find it more reliable than seagate.
harmeetmatta said:
Now what i was thinking is instead of gettin d wd external..why dont i build my own hdd...usin the sata casing nd gettin a reliable internal hdd for eg seagate 1tb 7200.12 or wd caviar black...
price would come up to 4.5k includin d sata case which is same as wd external my book 1tb...but if i use wd caviar black then it might go up to another 1k which i don mind if its really reliable and can serve me for long without any probs...

i need to backup a lot of imp stuff frm my comp....so realibilty is all that i want...:)

if u suggest me convertin the intrnal to extrnal usin d sata case..or whatever it is called...pls provide some details of cases nd accessories that i will need...would be of great help :)

for reliability i would suggest external. internal for flexibility of changing drives.

I'm also using the Transcend Storejet eSata case + a WD 1.5 TB Green Hard Disk. The eSata is a very good feature and the Hard disk temperature is mostly around 36-37 deg C.

So if you need eSata, going for a separate casing would come out to be cheaper but if you are OK with USB, then I think it would be better to go for a WD or Seagate External Drive.

harmeetmatta said:
Thanx for the reply...:)

My comp has esata port too...nd i must say that speed thru esata would be great !!

but what abt the reliabilty...since when r u usin this...??

which hdd hv u put in d external casing ?? :)

does this mean u hv 2 partitions...one is ntfs and one is the linux...is this possible in d same hdd ..??
WD green Hdd.

First I have connected to computer, than I made Dual bootable Linux & NTFS then fitted in External casing

i have the same dilemma whether to buy a seagate 7200.12 1tb+casing or buy 1tb wd external drive.

recently i have heard so many wd drives failling so i am not sure how reliable wd external is as the hard disk is what matters not the case with wd logo or segate logo

and moreover seagate 7200.12 is now the most reliable at present.

so what do you suggest?

can any one tell which hard disk is used in wd external 1tb?

You are right. The wd externals have an issue with the controllers. The power adaptor keeps failing. Mine failed within the first month. 2.5 weeks to get it changed under warranty. The 1st replacement they sent, didnt work out of the box, then got them to send another one. You cant even get through their frigging helpline number. Best to take a sata casing, and work with it. Atleast the adaptors are cheap and available locally. Take a good brand like Gemini or ziggy or some other more popular casing and check with the vendor if the power adaptor for it will be available around..makes sense.

Back