Storage Solutions WD Passport External HDD got locked WD Smartware

thunder.dragon

Disciple
Hi Guys,

My friend was using his WD Passport 1 TB External HDD past 1 year and he was not using the encryption software - WD Smartware. However days back suddenly his USB cable was not working properly and he tried something..damn after that that HDD got locked. It now shows as Virtual CD. And to unlock this is asking for password now that he hasn't put.

Please give some solution to unlock the HDD

Please exclude the below idea's

1. Remove the board of the HDD and replace with other - Not possible now
2. Goto Recovery company - Here I have no idea so please exclude

There has to be some override of this encryption but I am not able to search.. Please help

let us know if this works for you. Many have reported they couldn't get it to work and that this is a known issue with the USB PCB that also has their encryption chip on the same circuitry without any redundancy to handle the USB failure. Since it's hardware based encryption.. it basically screws up the logic causing the data to get locked (whether or not a password was set) and because it's encrypted.. plugging it in barebones to any other pc doesnt work either like it normally does for other external HDDs

Hi Guys.. Nops this is not valid too.. I checked that thread days back and tried.. I never got that option of Security in Settings.. Dump thing doesn't even shows the My Passport in settings..

Thanks for the help ayanavish bro.. searching more options.

One guy replaced the PCB which worked for him/ one guy did some bypassing but that piece of software he was not sharing..

One guy managed to get data from recovery firm but not possible in this case to find and go.

Stuck ATM

Sucks bro. It's a shitty situation with their problem - especially because it's a known issue but Western Digital have not yet addressed it publicly (that i know of). Try emailing their websupport wdsupport@microland.com & see what they recommend. They are usually very helpful on that.

Yep.. The solution is not publicly available.. guess some secrecy.. breaching security and any one can unlock a secured data..

Understandable but this is stupid.. why even if things like this situation. Sucks and full stupid...will mail them and let see what they reply..

Yep.. The solution is not publicly available.. guess some secrecy.. breaching security and any one can unlock a secured data..

Understandable but this is stupid.. why even if things like this situation. Sucks and full stupid...will mail them and let see what they reply..

Yea i know. It kind of defeats the entire point of having a reliable encrypted storage solution. Why would anyone save valuable data to a medium that has questionable encryption failsafe backup is something WD should think about.

Back